Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brooklyn Nets

It looks like the Nets may end up in Brooklyn. They said they have plans for an arena to be finished in time for the '06-'07 season, right when the New Jersey lease is up.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Make 'em the Ballers or something. I need illiteration. :D

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Before you throw tomatoes at me, the stupid Canadian, can somebody clear this up for me? Isn't Brooklyn in New York? And isn't NJ right near NY? Isn't this just like moving a few miles away? I have no idea about US Geography. Hey theres TWO Washingtons!!!

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>KABI</b>!
Before you throw tomatoes at me, the stupid Canadian, can somebody clear this up for me? Isn't Brooklyn in New York? And isn't NJ right near NY? Isn't this just like moving a few miles away? I have no idea about US Geography. Hey theres TWO Washingtons!!!
Yeah, but I believe the entire metro population for NYC and all the surrounding communities (Bronx, Brooklyn, etc.) is over 20 million. Half of that number is still more than 90% of NBA markets.

·
Registered
736 Posts
New Jersey is kinda the trailer park ******* cousin of NYC. A team from New Jersey would struggle to get any New York media coverage, except the past couple years with the Nets being good and the Knicks being horrible. Also, Brooklynn apparel will sell so much better with the whole rap thing.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Right on all counts. Brooklyn is in NY. NJ is adjacent to NY. East Rutherford (where NJ plays) is only a hop, skip, and a jump away from Brooklyn. However, a hop, skip, and a jump in New York City traffic usually takes a couple of hours. I think most of the players live in NJ and don't want to have to commute to work everyday in that kind of traffic. That is probably their biggest complaint. Most New York athletes either live in NJ, Long Island (NY), or upstate NY. Very few actually live in the city.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>ill subliminal</b>!
Also, Brooklynn apparel will sell so much better with the whole rap thing.
A Brooklyn NBA team would sell clothes, etc. like crazy.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Pinball</b>!

Right on all counts. Brooklyn is in NY. NJ is adjacent to NY. East Rutherford (where NJ plays) is only a hop, skip, and a jump away from Brooklyn. However, a hop, skip, and a jump in New York City traffic usually takes a couple of hours. I think most of the players live in NJ and don't want to have to commute to work everyday in that kind of traffic. That is probably their biggest complaint. Most New York athletes either live in NJ, Long Island (NY), or upstate NY. Very few actually live in the city.
Also (though coming from someone who hasn't been to New York since '92), from a fan's point of view, isn't it a pain in the neck to get to East Rutherford on public transit, as opposed to Brooklyn? Many (most?) people who live in the city either don't own cars or hate to drive 'em unless they absolutely have to.

Happy to be corrected if i'm wrong here.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
New Jersey is kinda the trailer park ******* cousin of NYC.
That may be the most ignorant statement Ive ever heard. Ive been to Brooklyn, my dad works there, and some places are nice, but a lot are just pure disgusting. New Jersey is an extremely nice state with great landscape. Anyways, if they do move to Brooklyn, it will be because no one can get to the NJ stadium. There is absolutely no transportation and the stadium is in the middle of nowhere. The team would be better off in Newark than in Brooklyn.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Another question, and maybe I am tainted by the media, isn't Brooklyn like "the ghetto"? I thought it was like a Harlem-ey kind of area, wouldn't that be a not-so-hot place to put an NBA team?

Clothes would sell like mad, especially if they got a player with street cred, as silly as it sounds. Jason Kidd doesn't really fit that description but Kenyon Martin might one day, I don't know how popular he will get though. Just imagine how much people would have Allen Iverson, Brooklyn jerseys? Poser heaven!

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Another question, and maybe I am tainted by the media, isn't Brooklyn like "the ghetto"? I thought it was like a Harlem-ey kind of area, wouldn't that be a not-so-hot place to put an NBA team?

Clothes would sell like mad, especially if they got a player with street cred, as silly as it sounds. Jason Kidd doesn't really fit that description but Kenyon Martin might one day, I don't know how popular he will get though. Just imagine how much people would have Allen Iverson, Brooklyn jerseys? Poser heaven!
Brooklyn is a pretty big area to be completly "ghetto". I have never been there myself but I am sure there are some good areas that would be safe to house a staduim. The Yankees play in the Bronx and you never here anything bad happen to the stadium or the fans attending the games.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In the NHL there is a rule which does not allow a team to relocate or start up within a certain distance of an exisitng team. Though the move is not far away geographically it seems that a team in Brooklyn would interfere with the Knicks community.

In hockey this would require reperational payments. Is there any rule along those lines in basketball?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Originally posted by <b>daveybreitz</b>!
In the NHL there is a rule which does not allow a team to relocate or start up within a certain distance of an exisitng team. Though the move is not far away geographically it seems that a team in Brooklyn would interfere with the Knicks community.

In hockey this would require reperational payments. Is there any rule along those lines in basketball?
I don't think so. Clippers and Lakers play in the same arena. Anyway, East Rutherford and NYC are less than 10 miles apart so if there was rule, they'd probably already be in violation of the rule.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Clothes would sell like mad, especially if they got a player with street cred, as silly as it sounds. Jason Kidd doesn't really fit that description but Kenyon Martin might one day, I don't know how popular he will get though.
Actually, though obviously not in the tri-state area, in California, mainly Oakland, Kidd has more street cred than anyone else in the world. He was and is an Oaktown legend.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I'm a Knick fan who used to live in Brooklyn near the proposed arena. Now I live in NJ, somewhat near the other proposed arena in Newark.

IMO, either proposed arena would be good for the Nets. Obviously, or they wouldn't be trying so hard to relocate. Where they are now is in the swamps. There is just no mojo around there, not to mention train service. If they moved to Newark or Brooklyn they be in a more densly populated urban environment where the community can come by foot, train, bus, or car. Plus there are bars, restaurants, and coffee shops nearby. You could say "lets meet at the corner of 33rd and 3rd, catch the game and then grab a bite". At the Meadowlands you'd say "let's meet in the parking lot under the burned out street lamp, catch the game and then I'll follow you in my car for 30 minutes to ghet a beer, if we don't get lost or in an accident".

Like most large metropolitan areas in the northeast you have affluent areas as well as depressed areas, both in Brooklyn and New Jersey. Some parts of Newark look a lot like parts of Brooklyn. From the little I know of Newark I'd have to say hte affluent neighborhoods of Brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, etc) exceed Newark's, but I could well be wrong. But Brooklyn's bads may well exceed Newarks bads too. These cities are just plain big enough to have lots of diversity. Sometimes the good neighborhoods are very close to the bad, and it can feel a world apart one or two blocks away. It's cool cause you can go to the nice neighborhoods for the park or the view, and you go to the lesser ones for cheap shopping or "ethnic" food, etc.

But the proposed Brooklyn site is in an interesting area. First, it's a major subway hub. Lot's of lines go there as well as Long Island Transit (a suburban rail line). Second, it's about 1 mile from Manhattan, straight over the Manhattan Bridge. Third, it is a densly populated neighborhood, so fans can walk to the arena. Fourth, there is what constitutes the Brooklyn downtown right there, so you can attract the quasi corporate crowd (not like Manhattan's). Fifth, there are other cultural attractions already nearby, like Juniors restuarant (of cheesecake fame) and the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM). It's also close to Fort Greene, of Spike Lee fame, as well as it's art college, the name of which is escaping me. Much more too but my mind is getting lazy.

Anyway, long story short, the Brooklyn site is great because it's been undergoing a renniassance there over the past 10-20 years anyway, but there is still room for improvement. It'd be wonderfully situated. And crosstown rivalries are the BEST.

That said, I'd be equally happy if they'd come to Newark, then I'd even go to a few games.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Nice post, son of oakley. I got to agree with everything you said.

Things are still way up in the air. For those of you interested in what's going on with the sale of the Nets, we have a pretty good thread about it going on here.

Just reading Page 2 of that thread should get you up to date. The sale should go down soon. If the Brooklyn guy (Ratner) gets it, he wil still have a ways to go to get the whole project approved, and to get approval from the owners.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts