Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coach Larry Brown was in his office at The Palace at 2 p.m. Saturday. Sometime after 5 p.m., he addressed the team for the first time since his surgery March 14.

Right before 6 p.m., he left the building and went home, missing his eighth straight game. He is likely to miss a few more.

"Not for a while," is what Brown said when asked when he might coach again. That is not exactly what the Pistons had hoped to hear after losing three straight games.

But Brown told the Pistons he was still having post-surgery complications and needed extra time to make sure he was fit to coach.

Apparently, Brown told the team he would need at least another week
, meaning he is likely to miss home games this week against Dallas (Monday), Sacramento (Wednesday) and the Clippers (Friday). He probably won't be able to fly to Toronto, either, for an April 3 game. So, the best bet for his return is an April 6 home game against Washington.
"We want him to take his time and take care of his business," Ben Wallace said Saturday before the Pistons' 105-99 overtime victory over the Celtics.

"He's got a lot going on. What we need to do more than anything, no matter who we've got on the sidelines, is get back to playing the game the way we know how to play."
You more than anyone!

The Pistons are 8-7 without Brown this season, after snapping a three-game slide on Saturday. Wallace said the problem is with the players, not with the coaches.

"We don't really need anybody to come out and tell us how to play," Wallace said. "You can shout orders from the sideline all you want to, but if we don't make up our minds to play the way we know we have to play, it won't matter.

"We have to get back to taking care of our business. Coaches put the guys in the game, but players ultimately decide the game."

http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0503/27/D05-130350.htm

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
I don't know what to say...did anyone else expect it to be even this serious? I know I sure didn't. Oh well, here's to a speedy recovery. Not so much to get him back on the bench but to get him back to full health period. Ben Wallace is right, it's not the coach. It's the players. That being said follow your own advice Ben.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Ben needs to share that quote with his teammates. Its time for a lockerroom presence to lay down the law and hold each other accountable. No more sliding and resting on last years success.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Looks like he might just mean it...

Sunday is traditionally a day to rest, but best of luck telling that to Ben Wallace.

The linchpin of the Pistons' defense went to work anyway, showing up at the Palace practice facility to lift weights and work on his shot while leaving the household Easter egg hunt in the capable hands of his son, Bryce.
That's not the kind of trend a team wants to develop 13 games before the playoffs begin.

"Not by far, we're not even close to where we need to be at," Wallace said
Well Ben, actions speak louder than words. Keep it up, we need you.

Detroit Free Press

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He could've helped the team more by staying at home and watching tapes of Ben Wallace from the time he came here till last year. I don't think there is any helping his offense. Bring back the defensive intensity and effort and I'm happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts