Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is the better defensive player ?

This topic is only about defense. Offense is not an argument this topic...

I'll go with Bowen. He's the smarter defender. Not too agressive like Artest, but he still has the same effect. Artest plays too agressive, that is something I do not like, especially when Bowen shows that there's another way to be a top defender.

I also think that Artest is totally overrated. Some people try to make him a franchise player. In my eyes he is "only" one of the top role players but nothing more.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Bowen is just a hard working role player. He is the type of player every coach would like to have. Artest is a complete player and one of the best in the game today.

But, Artest better watch his weight. He is not as explosive as he was in Chicago. Back then he did not have to score to affect a game. And he dunked a lot more than he does now.

His game is to guard some of the quickest guys in the game. Since he became a star player, maybe he is getting lazy. He is not good enough at shooting to be able to rely on that. He is defense first!

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
After watching Bowen's defense closely this season and watching Artest's defense closely, I'd say Artest is the better defender.

Artest has that intimidation factor because he's a big, strong guy, and Bowen offers nothing physically that will intimidate opponents. I also think Artest has the better phyisical talents (Lateral quickness, speed, strength), which is one of the main differences to me.

As far as either one of these guys being overrated on defense, I'd have to say I'd agree, but for a different reason. The key to both guys is the fact that they can get up in guys faces because there is a top-notch shot blocker behind them. If you have Vlade Divac in the paint as opposed to Tim Duncan, you're not going to have the same benefits in both cases. Also, both Bowen and Artest benefit from the systems the play in, meaning if you threw either guy on the Dallas Mavericks, I doubt you would see the same defensive impact.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Artest can defend really well against small and big guys since he his damn tough and wide... so I pick him..Bowen is great against guards but can't do anithing against bigger guys

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Artest, because he's a more versatile defender.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
I'll take Artest, but what I like about Bowen is that he gets under the players nerves really well and ticks them off. Theres an article on realGM and Peja says hes the toughest guy to go against, im sure Ray Allen and Kobe would say that aswell

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
I'd take Ron Artest but not by much. He is a better defender than Bruce Bowen, they both shoot the long ball very well, but Artest is more versatile a player outside defense and shooting. Bowen can't handle the ball the way Ron can. In fact, I wouldn't trust Bruce Bowen to bring the ball up the court under a full court press at all. They're both have similar attributes, Artest gets' the edge because he's able to run the point forward, while Bowen doesn't.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yeah I bet Wally would say he's tough to go against too;) I picked Artest though, because he's still a great defender once you get him off the perimeter, which Bowen definitely isn't.

·
Registered
878 Posts
"Bowen's psychological defense"....is that another word for cheapshots?

Just teasin'....:p

I always thought Bowen was overrated.
As far as defense goes, I'd take both Artest and Christie over him.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Azamad Bagatov</b>!

I'll go with Bowen. He's the smarter defender. Not too agressive like Artest, but he still has the same effect. Artest plays too agressive, that is something I do not like, especially when Bowen shows that there's another way to be a top defender.

I also think that Artest is totally overrated. Some people try to make him a franchise player. In my eyes he is "only" one of the top role players but nothing more.
How does Artest play too agressive, because he knows how to use his body well? He doesn't just outmuscle players, he does play defense, just not dirty like Bowen.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

Dennis Robman once said on "The Best Damn Sports Show" that Artest forgot what got him where he is today and that's defense. Since being considered a star, he has become more of an offensive player. He is racking up many shots and missing many too. We know he knows that he isn't a scorer. He is one of the top role players like Wallace, Motumbo, and Robman. He will never be a franchise player. So I would take Bowen over Artest defensively. Bowen concentrates on Defense and strictly on Defense. He is starting for the Spurs so there must a reason. Anyhow, it seemed like Rodman did not want to compare Artest to him at all.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
I'm gonna give this one to Bowen... He really just pisses people off... He gets inside their head... You remember what happened with Ray Allen... That's what happens with alot of players, he plays physical but not with strength, with little things like elbows and stuff. Gets inside your head, throws you out of your game. Gotta give this one to Bowen

·
Registered
1 Posts
even though the pacers beat miami, what happened to artest's defense when he was gettin ***** slapped by dwyane wade in last years playoffs? bowen over artest anyday

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
Originally posted by <b>skillz</b>!
even though the pacers beat miami, what happened to artest's defense when he was gettin ***** slapped by dwyane wade in last years playoffs? bowen over artest anyday
More Wade homers! Wooooo!

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

Artest a role player? What the hell does that make Bowen then? Artest is the better defender.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Originally posted by <b>sMaKDiSDoWn</b>!

More Wade homers! Wooooo!
Did you also know that if wade was in the NFL he would lead the league in yards? Or that if he played hockey, he would lead in scoring and assists?

Hes just that good. Thats why we like to call him Black Jesus.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: Bruce Bowen or Ron Artest ?

Originally posted by <b>R-Star</b>!

Artest a role player? What the hell does that make Bowen then? Artest is the better defender.
Well, both are role players...

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Bruce Bowen or Ron Artest ?

Well, both are role players...
Artest is not a role player. A player who makes the all NBA team is not a role player.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts