Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bryant is in! huge pickup at least hoops wise for the America East. In short order coach Grasso had built them into a NEC power, they play uptempo and recruit very well. Had nations leading scorer this past year. Safe to say the America East just got much better! Great job.

·
Premium Member
34,261 Posts
Bryant is in! huge pickup at least hoops wise for the America East. In short order coach Grasso had built them into a maac power, they play uptempo and recruit very well. Had nations leading scorer this past year. Safe to say the America East just got much better! Great job.
Think Bryant was in the NEC, but I never get the MAAC/NEC correct, either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Michael Kelly who reports on UAlbany just stated the following :

America East losing Stony Brook, Hartford after this academic year. Gaining Bryant ... and expect one more down the road.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Quinnipiac and ??? :)
I have said it several times...I really wish CCSU would get an invite. It only seems right being a public, state university in New England. I know, I've heard all the negatives. But honestly, I would love to see them be a part of the conference.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I have said it several times...I really wish CCSU would get an invite. It only seems right being a public, state university in New England. I know, I've heard all the negatives. But honestly, I would love to see them be a part of the conference.
And just maybe moving to AE would give CCSU a "kick in the pants" to increase funding/fundraising and make some improvements to facilities.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Everything I've been continued to be told is that if the AE added a total of 4 teams then CCSU would get a look.
This definitely seems to be moving in stages predicated on moves and/or decisions by individual schools and other conferences.....probably still many moving parts that will extend into the 2022-2023 season.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
From my sources, the challenge at CCSU right now is budget and football. We need to invest more across the board and Big South is very expensive - full scholly, multiple plan rides, etc. I'm holding out hope we will be in a better position soon, but I'm pretty certain that it won't happen for 2022-23.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
From my sources, the challenge at CCSU right now is budget and football. We need to invest more across the board and Big South is very expensive - full scholly, multiple plan rides, etc. I'm holding out hope we will be in a better position soon, but I'm pretty certain that it won't happen for 2022-23.
I get that...and honestly, I appreciate that.

·
Premium Member
34,261 Posts
Another UVM MBB opponent reasonably close to me and can hit up Wright's Chicken Farm. That's the extent of my interest in Bryant.

Welcome!

Reactions: djump32

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Well that was quick. Big South published 2022 football schedules.

Here is Bryant's new schedule:

Sep. 24 - (at LIU)
Oct. 1 - (vs. Duquesne)
Oct. 8 - Bryant at NC A&T (Open)
Oct. 15 - Charleston Southern at Bryant (at Sacred Heart)
Oct. 22 - (at Saint Francis)
Oct. 29 - Bryant at Gardner-Webb (vs. Merrimack)
Nov. 5 - Campbell at Bryant (vs. Wagner)
Nov. 12 - (Bryant at Holy Cross)
Nov. 19 - Bryant at Robert Morris (vs. CCSU)

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Well that was quick. Big South published 2022 football schedules.

Here is Bryant's new schedule:

Sep. 24 - (at LIU)
Oct. 1 - (vs. Duquesne)
Oct. 8 - Bryant at NC A&T (Open)
Oct. 15 - Charleston Southern at Bryant (at Sacred Heart)
Oct. 22 - (at Saint Francis)
Oct. 29 - Bryant at Gardner-Webb (vs. Merrimack)
Nov. 5 - Campbell at Bryant (vs. Wagner)
Nov. 12 - (Bryant at Holy Cross)
Nov. 19 - Bryant at Robert Morris (vs. CCSU)
So looks like Bryant gave up a payday this year to make this move. Surprised no OVC..but not really either. I think this OVC-Big South thing lasts a year.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
So looks like Bryant gave up a payday this year to make this move. Surprised no OVC..but not really either. I think this OVC-Big South thing lasts a year.
Bryant made a great move for all sports - except football. Their expense went way up and they will be playing non-regional foes with an uncertain future AQ.

Yeah, I'm not sure if Big South or OVC affiliate was the better move, but with RMU there now, it make sense to go Big South. I agree and don't think the BS-OVC thing is is going to work out for very long.

Now you can see why other NEC football schools are likely staying put. This is a huge gamble and an expensive proposition for a football program with almost no return on that investment. I don't envy this part of their deal at all.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts