Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Trust me, Bryant will be easy to hate and it starts with Grasso.

Absolutely, they will be a good team and a chance to win immediately - but mark my words, no one other than Bryant fans will be rooting for them to win the AQ.

I'm sure the school will clamp down on some of the nonsense, but only because all eyes will be on them and there will be short leash because of what they did in the NEC.
This post was hacked by a UVM fan, clearly.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Per Rothstein their best player from last year Peter Kiss is going pro, gotta think Edert knew that when making his decision
Yeah, this seemed to be a bit of an open secret. So open that it feels weird to even call it an open secret. I don't think there was much suspense as to whether he'd come back, and everyone coming on board likely knew that.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I've been on various forums since about 2005 posting about Bryant and I have yet to find another Bryant fan in any forum.
Hard to find any NEC fans out there. :(

RMU and Monmouth had pretty good support, and there are a few posters online, but I don't think I've found more than one fan from any other NEC school (outside of CCSU)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bryant and America East are streaming a joint press conference today at 10 am. Received the below via email yesterday:

I hope this note finds you well. We are tremendously excited about Bryant University’s move to the America East Conference beginning in July. This is an outstanding opportunity, not only for our Division I Athletics Department, but for Bryant University.

Please join us this Wednesday, April 13 at 10 a.m. in the Chace Athletic Center for an official introductory press conference with Brad Walker, Commissioner of the America East Conference, Bill Smith, Director of Athletics, and Bryant University President Ross Gittell.

If you can’t make it to the press conference, be sure to tune in live on AmericaEast.TV for a live stream.

Thank you for your support of Bryant Athletics. Go Bulldogs!

·
Registered
13 Posts
One of the more interesting takeaways from the Q&A portion of the press conference was that AD Bill Smith said that if Bryant couldn't find a home for football it would have likely stayed in the NEC. I am partly surprised that Bryant places such a high priority on football that the University would forgo moving up to a better all sports conference if it meant football had to run as an independent and/or drop the sport.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
One of the more interesting takeaways from the Q&A portion of the press conference was that AD Bill Smith said that if Bryant couldn't find a home for football it would have likely stayed in the NEC. I am partly surprised that Bryant places such a high priority on football that the University would forgo moving up to a better all sports conference if it meant football had to run as an independent and/or drop the sport.
As I have said - FB was/is keeping the NEC together. It is probably the single biggest issues preventing CCSU from being a serious candidate for the America East. I personally believe Central can absolutely afford to join America East and be competitive; but we just can't fund the huge increase for football in the Big South.

Football is a very expensive endeavor. If you're not in a conference with an AQ, you are basically basically burning money. The NEC has built itself into a very solid football conference, and right now it is as good or better competitively than the Patriot League.

While the Big South/OVC football is probably an option available to others in the NEC, it is much more expensive than keeping football in the NEC. That is the calculation that everyone around the league is making. Is it worth the extra $$$ to add scholarships and fly to 3-4 football games? Plus, that football membership is not very stable.

This was a high risk decision for Bryant, but ultimately it is likely the right one for them. Maybe SHU can justify a move to MAAC/Big South, but it s a non-starter for everyone else.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Football is a very expensive endeavor. If you're not in a conference with an AQ, you are basically basically burning money. The NEC has built itself into a very solid football conference, and right now it is as good or better competitively than the Patriot League.
I think playing FCS football in general is just basically burning money. The AQ just offers you the opportunity to travel to Brookings, South Dakota in November.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Speaking of football, this video gives a good tour of facilities. I really feel like Bryant is going to build their program up well over the next few years. Also just watching the video, didn't know they had one but the video board is really nice.

I also think if they ever wanted to expand the homeside by a section on each side and say add a larger pressbox, it looks like it wouldn't be that hard.. I also hope the away side with the new arena is built like a legitimate away side(like URI but not as big).

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Some other interesting things in that Presser for me:

1. UA's President chairs the presdient's council...and that, plus the fact that the CAA is a bit of a mess right now, lends me to believe the latest rumors that UA is not going anywhere in the near future. Of course, those two things are not mutually exclusive.

2. The focus on building a league brand. Honestly, that is a pot shot at the CAA. They specifically pointed out how homogenous and mission focused the AE is, with academics and geography. Walker's statement that the AE was not going to expand with a school just for survival but for the right reasons...says alot compared to some recent realignment. In some ways, the NEC while a feeder league also fits the bill as a football focused league and the MAAC having the small catholic, basketball centric league. The CAA, to me, has a much more disparate setup.

3. The AD reminds me of Fiore a little bit in growth wishes...but is definitely more of a CHAD. For those New Englanders, you know what a CHAD is...especially for anyone who has been to Nantucket. For those non-New Englanders, he is a "BRO".

4. UMBC has a special place from the general student population-wise as far as recruitment. I've heard this from Albany as well. The mid-Atlantic is a special general student recruitment area, and having UMBC in the league helps that aspect of school growth for AE schools.

5. Seems like Marty Scarano did a good deed for all on his way out from UNH. Good job, Marty.

6. Interesting that both hoops coaches stated they would lose recruits to the AE in the past due to academics and athletic views of the league by recruits.

7. I think Bryant's aspirations and Coaches (e.g. Grasso) will push the AE to up the ante overall. There will be no resting on laurels and I think this will help pull up every team, especially the bottom of the league.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Quite a video - 35 minutes of prebroadcast testing and 1/2 hour blank at the end.

LOL almost the first thing heard - "It's America East, not American"

At least the AD didn't say they'd be the Evil Empire of AE. Stony Brook got half of that right.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Good write up 96, was very happy with the press conference. If we add anyone else this year, I hope the announcements come soon!
The more I see/read of Bryant, the more I expect them to be a significant challenge in AE. Grasso has put together a very impressive group of transfers for the upcoming season.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts