Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've brought this up in the AE Forum but it has been confirmed by a few sources, Burlington Free Press and Sporting Vermont that BU is ineligible for postseason play this year for America East. Sourced here:

BFP - http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...oston-U-goes-Patriot-League-from-America-East

Sporting Vermont - https://twitter.com/SportingVermont/status/215220516385071104

The buyout fee for BU to leave is $250,000, will they pay it and leave so that they can play in the Patriot for 2012-2013 and have a shot at postseason play a la VCU? If BU wants to league for 2012-2013 will the Patriot allow them in a year early?

How do they stack up with the current teams there and how does this effect scheduling for the Patriot League?

·
Registered
290 Posts
If it's true that BU will be ineligible for any postseason bids than yes, I would highly recommend that they leave asap for the Patriot League. BU is pretty much a threat for the auto bid in every single sport that they sponsor in the AE. That would be a lot of potential NCAA bids and postseason runs left on the table because of ineligibility. It would also suk big time for the student athletes and fans.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have heard that the only conference with an ineligibility clause was the CAA. AE history let the teams leaving compete for autobids.

Are there any other collaborating articles?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If this is the situation then pay the buyout.

And if BU is in the PL next year, I can see a top-half finish. Lehigh and Bucknell at top, followed by American. After that, it's up for grabs.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Thanks for posting. This is definitely the number one concern for BU fans. The impact of the AI is another one. The problem is that its late in the game. Could the PL even include BU on soccer schedules? Doesn't that start in like a month? Basketball probably wouldn't be a huge problem as schedules aren't even announced until September.

I really hope BU uses an early exit threat as a negotiating tool and stays one more year. Even if the PL is reluctant to let us in last minute, at least start working on it as an option and use it as a threat because let's be honest, it would screw up AE scheduling and maybe even autobids for certain sports. The AE and its member institutions presumably want a) the buyout fee b) BU on schedules for regular season for convenience and autobids c) to prevent BU from participating in tournaments and receiving the autobids.

If BU gives them all three of these things, then they are really losing that battle and it is a disservice to the student athletes. I think the threat of an early exit and maybe even threatening to not pay a buyout fee (make them take it to court and get ugly) hopefully curbs this stuff. We'll see.

·
Registered
799 Posts
It's no surprise that the only source for this claim that BU will be ineligible is Vermont. They are losing the most by us leaving and they aren't happy about it. We're eligible for the post-season.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's no surprise that the only source for this claim that BU will be ineligible is Vermont. They are losing the most by us leaving and they aren't happy about it. We're eligible for the post-season.
Sorry, but on top of those sources I was sourced from someone within BU and America East that has also confirmed it. I just posted those other sources above because they were in print, but without giving up my source within BU - I'm 99.9% certain they are out of the postseason. Sorry man, but you are wrong on this one so you can take your insults elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Sorry, but on top of those sources I was sourced from someone within BU and America East that has also confirmed it. I just posted those other sources above because they were in print, but without giving up my source within BU - I'm 99.9% certain they are out of the postseason. Sorry man, but you are wrong on this one so you can take your insults elsewhere.
Is your same source indicating BU is exploring an early exit? I just can't imagine BU will sit around and take that.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would love for them to leave this year. If they are leaving... then leave ASAP
LOL!!!! sure you would....With BU gone, SBU chances of going to the NCAA tournament rises from 33% to 50%. Other than UVM is there really any serious competition next year?

Albany has lost too much, Hartford is on the rise but are still young, UNH always a threat never seems to put it together, BU is now ineligible, Maine is poorly coached. UMBC is rebuilding and "fake" BU is total junk.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In 2000-01 when AU had announced a move to the PL and had a lame-duck year in the CAA, they followed the CAA's bylaws (along with the other departing schools, Richmond and ECU), that they'd have to sit out of post-season competition for the year. Now, that was much more expected as the CAA has had this bylaw for some time (it's recently been publicized again with the departures of VCU, ODU, and Georgia State). The America East has not had such a bylaw, and members who've departed in the last decade or so (Hofstra, Delaware, Towson, Northeastern), did not have to follow this, so it was definitely not expected. Just thought it helpful to point out that the last time the PL added a member (AU), that member did go through a transition year with no postseason opportunities. That being said, outside of basketball (where AU didn't have much of a chance in the CAA that year anyway), I'm not sure what that meant for the other sports teams. I have a feeling that the only team in that year that would have had much of a chance was volleyball, and when they moved to the PL they dominated (and continue to do so).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Scheduling for nine, with its implied 'bye', and the shuffling of already contracted non-conference schedules would create more mischief than the PL leadership is known to be able to tolerate. BingU and Boston U. are the only AE schools on Bucknell's schedule. Please, for the sake of our RPI, let them bump Bingo for the 2nd game with the Terriers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts