Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BU makes a successful return to the Sunshine State with a nice win over the MAC's Northern Illinois Huskies.
The Terriers went on a 17-0 run midway through the first half and were never seriously challenged after that.
McCoy and Tynen had great games.

I didn't feel like paying the $37 to watch the tournament so I can't say much more than what was on the radio. If anyone was there in person let us know how the team looked! (Would have loved to travel down for these)

Nice to have a complete win. BU plays tomorrow at 1:30pm against Sam Houston St, who won the second game. (However I'm sure we don't actually win the tournament if we win again... hate these "podded" tourneys where the mid-major is not allowed to be champion...)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
NIU was predicted to finish last in the MAC, but they also have a win against Washington to start the season. Regardless, it was a relatively comfortable victory for the Terriers, so I think it was a good performance.

And BU took care of business today against SHS, 72-59. McCoy lead again along with Harper and Tynen. Brewster provided a spark in the first half. Only bad news was Whyte sat out with an ankle injury. Hopefully not serious.

BU shot over 50% these last two games. I did not watch the games, but it seems like there is a more balanced distribution of shots. Maybe the ball movement is better. Whatever it is, keep it up.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I listened as well, another nice win.

One downer is that Nevin Zink left with an ankle injury - announcers seemed worried, hoping that's not too serious.

An actual tournament championship! Well, one "bracket" of a championship... If we beat FSU on Wed, we deserve to take their trophy, no?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
What a heartbreaker! BU gets clipped by FSU 81-80 in overtime. FSU led most of the game, but BU stayed close enough. When it looked like the Terriers would run out of time, they went on a rally in the last minute of regulation. With five seconds left, BU was down three and the Seminoles were at the foul line shooting one-and-one. And then this happened...

In overtime, BU took the lead but a couple of literal stumbles allowed FSU to come back. BU maintained a one point lead, but an FSU putback with two seconds left ended up being the game winner. So crushing after a spirited comeback.

Although a disappointing loss, there were a lot of positive takeaways. The Terriers hung tough against the longer and more athletic Seminoles despite not having Whyte and Zink due to injury. Whyte should be back soon but Zink might be out an extended period. McCoy lead the scoring attack as usual and Mathon played big to tally a double-double. Tate got extended run and showed once again what a dynamic player he can be. Brittain-Watts hit a couple of three pointers, including a nice step back to beat the shot clock. Tynen was solid on defense and looked comfortable breaking the FSU press. Miles Brewster might be the fastest Terrier I've ever seen from foul line to foul line.

Offensively, the Terriers were able to score in a variety of ways. BU was able to penetrate the FSU defense to get layups. Also, there was more backdoor cuts that led to easy buckets. It was tough going in the paint but Mathon was able to get some baskets in the post. Three point shooting could be better but was passable. On defense, BU was solid and sometimes FSU's talent just prevailed.

Other than the injuries it was a successful Florida trip. A lot players got experience and played well. There is a lot of talent on this team and it could be deep beyond McCoy, Whyte, and Mathon. Hopefully this type of performance is a sign of things to come.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts