Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three game stretch against the Crusaders that could end up being pretty important in snagging a playoff spot. From my limited understanding, the two final bracket spots will go to the best two overall records (not division records) among the teams that do not finish 1st or 2nd in their division. Is this correct? That would leave us fighting with these teams:

BU 4-6
Lehigh 3-7
Holy Cross 3-9
Loyola 2-7

With 6 games left, it's good to be in position to make the playoff but in reality we are only ahead by 1 game in the win column.

Of course it's no fun to be fighting for one of the final spots, but that's where we are. I think that, while possible, it will be tough to overtake Army (and HC!) in the division, esp. with 2 of our 4 division games left against Colgate.

Question, though, for anyone who knows: I thought I read something about needing a minimum of 12 games to qualify for the playoffs. But American U. is currently 2-2 (how is that possible?) and only has 5 games remaining on the revised schedule. Can they still make it?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
About the games: we split the first two games over the weekend, which were basically polar opposites. Saturday we were flat out bad, and got blown out. Sunday, the team looked like it had a fire lit under it, and this time ended up on the winning end of a blowout.

It's clear the team has a high ceiling but struggles to reach it consistently. We need all three of Javante, Suk, and (especially) Whyte playing at a high level to win against the tough teams, along with timely contributions from guys like Harper, Tynen, Petcash, Hemphill, Brittain-Watts. Harper and EBW are really key -- we need tough on-ball defense. No inside info but it seemed like EBW has been in the doghouse a little bit, he was nailed to the bench in the first half on Saturday, and I thought he played really hard after that.

I see the potential there and hoping for a big winning streak to end the season!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Three game stretch against the Crusaders that could end up being pretty important in snagging a playoff spot. From my limited understanding, the two final bracket spots will go to the best two overall records (not division records) among the teams that do not finish 1st or 2nd in their division. Is this correct? That would leave us fighting with these teams:

BU 4-6
Lehigh 3-7
Holy Cross 3-9
Loyola 2-7

With 6 games left, it's good to be in position to make the playoff but in reality we are only ahead by 1 game in the win column.

Of course it's no fun to be fighting for one of the final spots, but that's where we are. I think that, while possible, it will be tough to overtake Army (and HC!) in the division, esp. with 2 of our 4 division games left against Colgate.

Question, though, for anyone who knows: I thought I read something about needing a minimum of 12 games to qualify for the playoffs. But American U. is currently 2-2 (how is that possible?) and only has 5 games remaining on the revised schedule. Can they still make it?

At the moment, teams need 12 regular season games to qualify for the PL tournament. That is the PL rule because the NCAA currently requires a team to play 12 regular season games to be eligible for the NCAA tournament. It would make no sense for the PL to let a team play in the PLT if it was not eligible to go the Big Dance. However they are accepting waiver requests and it is possible the rule may be relaxed.

AU, as you say, only has 9 games currently on the schedule. But there is at least a slim chance they could get up to 12. First, play a second game against Loyola Wednesday the 23rd. And then play two local games in early March, prior to the first round of the tournament which is Saturday March 6th. (Also the PL has talked about moving back the start of the tournament by at least a day to allow more makeup games.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
AU will apply for a waiver, as men's teams are likely to be granted the same waivers as women's teams already have via the NCAA if they don't reach the regular season minimum. I can't guarantee we'll be approved, as it's the NCAA after all, but we're going to apply, I'm fairly certain.

To your question: AU has only played four games so far this season because:
•The original first two games on our schedule (Jan. 2 and 3), against Loyola, were postponed due to a positive Tier 1 test in Loyola's program;
•The next two scheduled games, against Lehigh (Jan. 9-10), were postponed due to a positive Tier 1 test in our program;
•We played our first two games of the season Jan. 16 and 17 both at Navy, because all of D.C. was shut down Inauguration Week for security reasons, including almost all of AU's campus;
•We played our third and fourth games Jan. 23 and 24, against Loyola;
•Our next two scheduled games, Jan. 30 and 31 against Lafayette, were postponed because of an inconclusive test in our program-not a negative test-early that week. Lafayette chose not to play the games that weekend, which is their right;
•Our next set of games, Feb. 6 and 7 against Navy, were postponed because of a positive Tier 1 test in Navy's program. We were hoping to then schedule Lafayette as a substitute that weekend, but on Feb. 5, the day before the next set of scheduled games that weekend, AU went on a department-wide 10-day pause because of increased positive tests within the program, including MBB.
•As a result of the 10-day pause, the games scheduled for last weekend (Feb. 13-14) against Bucknell weren't played-but we wouldn't have played Bucknell even if we had been able, as Bucknell had been locked down the previous week after a COVID outbreak on their campus, and continued to be locked down that week.
•We are hoping we can play games 5 and 6, this weekend, against Navy, and then get to 10, maybe 11, regular season games before the tournament. Hoping. :)

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is incredibly frustrating. Sheesh...

Will the players even remember how to play basketball? (if BU's recent return from a 20 day layoff is any indication, the answer is no!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
AU will apply for a waiver, as men's teams are likely to be granted the same waivers as women's teams already have via the NCAA if they don't reach the regular season minimum. I can't guarantee we'll be approved, as it's the NCAA after all, but we're going to apply, I'm fairly certain.

The NCAA has not granted waivers to any women's teams. According to the NCAA and also a senior official at a PL school, the NCAA is not going to begin reviewing waiver requests until February 26th. I agree there is a good chance some waivers will be granted once they review the requests.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice win last night - close game throughout. They corrected the 1st half turnover issue at halftime, Whyte was great, Javante was great, and we got really nice contributions from Harper and Tynen.

Overall this was more of what we hoped to see his year, and the win sets us up in good position to make the playoff. After a bad start we're only 1 game under .500

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'm not sure if there is enough time in the season to reach this team's potential, but I think they are getting better. Coach Jones seems to have settled on a rotation and some guys might be more comfortable playing with each other. We'll see what happens this weekend, but if BU somehow manages at least a split that would be huge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts