Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-nws-bull14.html

A Cook County judge issued a warrant Tuesday for Chicago Bulls center Eddy Curry after he failed to appear in Traffic Court.

Curry, 21, was supposed to appear in court on two tickets: speeding and driving with a suspended license, Stanton said.

"I didn't know,'' Curry said. "I didn't think I was supposed to appear in court until February.

This is getting beyond ridiculous as far as Curry's concerned. Is he mentally competent or are we really looking at a 12 year old in a giant's body? Its beginning to reach a point where it's difficult to be angry with his performances when you start to realize you're dealing with a unique dichotomy: a giant of a man who also happens to be a mental midget. And in the end, all anyone can say to Krause is, "Thanks very much. This is another fine mess you've gotten us into."

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>RetroDreams</b>!
Are you serious? This is about the biggest load of... Why not just talk about his mama, too.
I guess she figured that at 21, her son ought to at least know how to figure a few things out on his own. Eddy probably misses those spirited and intellectually stimulating debates he used to have with Dalibor about economics and current events! With Dilly's departure poor Eddy's mind has atrophied!
:drool:

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
Are you serious? This is about the biggest load of... Why not just talk about his mama, too.
Mother Rucker? Happened on another thread....

·
Registered
933 Posts
RetroDreams, you are defending Eddy like he is your own son? What is wrong with you? Cblizzy is 100% right! Curry is just stupid! How you can ignore court appearance? Because you are underachieving Bulls center it doesn’t mean that you are above the law! Maybe Eddy after one night in jail will become finally a man, so we can use him on the court (basketball one). But I doubt that, game after the game Curry is someone else ***** on the floor and he doesn’t care anyway…

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
This bit of news really disturbes me. Part of being an adult is knowing ones responsibilities. Missing a court date is a pretty big deal. I don't buy the whole "I didn't know I had a court date" excuse. My 10-year old son uses that one and he doesn't get away with it. (Not that he has a court date - you get my meaning!)

This bothers me because maybe Eddy just isn't mature enough yet. This is really looking at more of a root issue with the guy. Does he have the tools to be a man? Can he take care of his responsibilities? Both on and off the court. You look at how he plays the game and most of the time he seems disinterested. It's almost like there are places he'd rather be than playing ball. There's nothing wrong with that in and of itself. The problem is that his job and his livelyhood is playing ball. He needs to come to terms with who he is and what his responsibilities are. This isn't high school anymore where he's the BMOC. He's another fish in a pond and he's got greater responsibilities. It just seems to me like he's not ready for all this.

I don't know what kind of support system the kid has but there sure does seem to be something missing.

By all accounts Eddy Curry seems like a very nice kid. Very kind and genuine. I think the glare of the spotlight is really effecting him and he'd like nothing better than to just be a player. Problem is at 6'11" and 300 lbs with his ability he'll never be out of the spotlight. I hope he adjusts. I hope he can become a professional and handle the responsibilities that his position demands of him. Missing a court date is sign of a greater issue.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I've had my drivers license suspended to for failure to appear because I had finals on the day I was scheduled in court and my professors wouldn't excuse me.

Considering he is a pro athlete who spends 50% of his time on the road or traveling, I can't understand his situation without jumping all over him like some people have. He said he thought his court date was in February, which is a forgivable excuse. God forbid a 21 year old kid who is constantly being shuffled city to city get a speeding ticket court date mixed up... He should be stoned to death!

He'll pay the fine and move on... I had to do it, too. Am I bad person? By your words, I'm immature and I guess I should receive this tonguelashing, too. Persecuting Curry for his on the court performance is one thing, but doing so for something you have no freaking idea about is another.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I've had my drivers license suspended to for failure to appear because I had finals on the day I was scheduled in court and my professors wouldn't excuse me.

Considering he is a pro athlete who spends 50% of his time on the road or traveling, I can't understand his situation without jumping all over him like some people have. He said he thought his court date was in February, which is a forgivable excuse.

He'll pay the fine and move on... I had to do it, too. Am I bad person? Persecuting Curry for his on the court performance is one thing, but doing so for something you have no freaking idea about is another.
Bull****.

Retro. You at least were cognizant of the fact you had a court date, you simply chose to take your finals. Eddy said he had no knowledge of the court date. Two different things. He's an adult with responsibilities. He's got the wherewithall and the resources to hire an attorny (or attornies) to take care of these types of issues. He did not need to appear in court, a legal representative could have also. You said that your license was suspended because you missed a court date. Eddy was driving with a suspended license and speeding. He missed his court date and so now a warrant has been issued for his arrest. To me this shows that Eddy hasn't made very good decisions in the past and he hasn't followed thru with the ramifications of those poor decisions. At some point in time you've got to become accountable.

There is a problem here and it isn't just basketball but the problem does effect his basketball playing.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Originally posted by <b>fl_flash</b>!

Bull****.

Retro. You at least were cognizant of the fact you had a court date, you simply chose to take your finals. Eddy said he had no knowledge of the court date. Two different things. He's an adult with responsibilities. He's got the wherewithall and the resources to hire an attorny (or attornies) to take care of these types of issues. He did not need to appear in court, a legal representative could have also. You said that your license was suspended because you missed a court date. Eddy was driving with a suspended license and speeding. He missed his court date and so now a warrant has been issued for his arrest. To me this shows that Eddy hasn't made very good decisions in the past and he hasn't followed thru with the ramifications of those poor decisions. At some point in time you've got to become accountable.

There is a problem here and it isn't just basketball but the problem does effect his basketball playing.
Didn't he say he believed he had a February court date?

I understand where you're coming from, but on the other hand, I think things get blown WAY out of proportion on this board. If you want to criticize, his up his game. I'm also an advocate of staying the hell outta a player's personal life.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

Well, didn't the courts say he had a January court date?

It's very easy for Eddy to simply say "I didn't know". That's what a child uses as an excuse whenever he get's caught with his hand in the cookie jar. It's Eddys responsibility to know when his court date is. It's not the responsibility of the court to coddle Eddy and make sure that he's available and to call and remind him that he's got an upcomming date with the judge. "I don't know" is not an excuse as far as the courts are concerned.

Marcus Fizer can somehow make his court dates. Why is Eddy different? Why do you hold him to some arbitrary set of standards? It's all about maturity. It's all about responsibility and taking care of business. Eddy doesn't seem to be able to do that.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts

Well, didn't the courts say he had a January court date?

It's very easy for Eddy to simply say "I didn't know". That's what a child uses as an excuse whenever he get's caught with his hand in the cookie jar. It's Eddys responsibility to know when his court date is. It's not the responsibility of the court to coddle Eddy and make sure that he's available and to call and remind him that he's got an upcomming date with the judge. "I don't know" is not an excuse as far as the courts are concerned.

Marcus Fizer can somehow make his court dates. Why is Eddy different? Why do you hold him to some arbitrary set of standards? It's all about maturity. It's all about responsibility and taking care of business. Eddy doesn't seem to be able to do that.
I don't hold him to an arbitrary set of rules... and it's quite the contrary. Bottom line is no professional athlete deserves to be scrutinized by anyone for situations where they don't have all of the details. It's his business and I'm sure it will get taken care of.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Considering he is a pro athlete who spends 50% of his time on the road or traveling, I can't understand his situation without jumping all over him like some people have. He said he thought his court date was in February, which is a forgivable excuse. God forbid a 21 year old kid who is constantly being shuffled city to city get a speeding ticket court date mixed up... He should be stoned to death!

He'll pay the fine and move on... I had to do it, too. Am I bad person? By your words, I'm immature and I guess I should receive this tonguelashing, too. Persecuting Curry for his on the court performance is one thing, but doing so for something you have no freaking idea about is another.
NO you are not immature, acutally your mature simply because you understand his situation and the facts surrounding it and separate it from his frustating b-ball skills.
So... great point!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

I understand where you're coming from, but on the other hand, I think things get blown WAY out of proportion on this board. If you want to criticize, his up his game. I'm also an advocate of staying the hell outta a player's personal life.
Hey! You edited your response!

I agree with you. Things do tend to get blown out of proportion here. Jamal has a poor game and you can bet money that they'll be a dozen Jamal should be traded threads. He drops 25 pts with 8ast and 6 bds and all of a sudden he's an all-star. Same with Eddy (except for the assists part).

The only thing that I'm trying to get across is that in this instance, with this information comming to light is that maybe Eddy has bigger fish to fry than his sub-par efforts on the court. Responsibility in life will translate to responsibility on the court and that maybe Eddy might need help in that area. I certainly hope he gets it and I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The thing that disturbed me about Curry is not missing his court date but the fact that Curry got rid of his Rottweilers after an altercation they had with another dog. Looks to me that the only ones with balls in the Curry house got a one way ticket to the Big Sleep ;)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hey! You edited your response!

I agree with you. Things do tend to get blown out of proportion here. Jamal has a poor game and you can bet money that they'll be a dozen Jamal should be traded threads. He drops 25 pts with 8ast and 6 bds and all of a sudden he's an all-star. Same with Eddy (except for the assists part).

The only thing that I'm trying to get across is that in this instance, with this information comming to light is that maybe Eddy has bigger fish to fry than his sub-par efforts on the court. Responsibility in life will translate to responsibility on the court and that maybe Eddy might need help in that area. I certainly hope he gets it and I'll leave it at that.
You're right on target. It really isn't the specific incident that's the issue here. Because in this case it appears we're dealing with a symptom of a much bigger issue that may have a significant effect on his ability to deliver on the basketball court. I don't care about a player's personal life all that much. But public figures are going to have their images shaped similar to the way you would assemble a mosaic. All the individual pieces collectively create one public persona. So when Curry's not getting it done on the court, people want to know why. And more often than not whatever conclusions are drawn end up being based more or less on the kind of person he's perceived to be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts