Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A different version but same general idea.

I had this basic idea a few days ago but didn't post so as not to flood the board with another dumb trade thread from me but someone beat me to it and so I need to post my idea. :upset:
-
The players involved:

Bull:

Marcus Fizer,Corie Blount,Jamal Crawford

Sun:

Jahidi White,Joe Johnson,Casey Jacobsen

The combinations:

1. MF & CB for Jahidi White

I actually think that Blount is the best player RIGHT NOW but he's old. Marcus SHOULD BE but he's not for whatever reason and a change of teams is probably in his future anyway. White is in between in age. Hands of stone, flip a coin FT% but he's a beast on the boards and would be a better sparring partner for EC. Georgetown big men are(were) known for toughness. JYD is a G Town guy too right?

Bull: Get a 4/5?5/4 upgrade(at least in age/fit)

Sun: Save $ this year(tax reduction) & next if they want to(Kobe?). Fizer doesn't have to be resigned and Blount @ $1.8 mil. is cheap to keep or let go(team option? http://www.realgm.com/src_contractoptions.php ). Either way they keep their young core and open up enough cap to make a real play for a max player if there's one available. They don't lose on the court either(in terms of personnel). All bases covered.

I'd do it straight up and there's no way I see the Sun giving up one of their 1st round picks(maybe if they got a future 1st round pick in return) but maybe their 2nd round pick could be had?

2. MF, CB, JC for JW, Joe Johnson, Casey Jacobsen, EITHER the NY pick OR the better of the 3 picks(Bull, NY, Phoenix)(a pick enhancement theme where the Bull get the best pick determined AFTER the balls do their bouncing)(here the Bull still get 1 1st round pick and the Sun get 2)

Same frontcourt exchange with a backcourt exchange added. None of the guards have been consistent shooters. JC still has the greater "upside" IMO so it's a quantity for somewhat better quality deal. This is also why 1st round pick upgrade is appropriate here.

This part of the deal saves a small amount of $ this year for the Sun. Next year if JC accepted the QO it would cost all of $33,945 over the cost of JJ & CJ combined(a pittance compared to the savings of the frontcourt deal component).

The thing I can't emphasize enough is that JC is difficult to move(after the trade deadline) for the Bull because of poison pill/BYC issues BUT he wouldn't be for the Sun(or any other team with significant cap space). So IF their newly aquired wonder 1 from Europe does grace them with his presence, the Sun could with the right sequence of events S&T JC for another player. If they wanted to keep their cap they could trade him for a future pick(Clipper for a future pick?) or they could trade Barbosa or they could keep him. All bases covered.

Bull get 2 serviceable guards and some type of upgrade in the 1st round of the 2004 draft to ensure the drafting of Deng.

Sun get the best player of the deal and $ savings and maintain(even enhance) their options for summer.

Note: The guard trade could be done seperately too.

Bull salaries
Sun salaries

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm sorry, and I don't mean to criticize, but this might be the dumbest trade idea I've ever heard. Why again would Chicago a solid journeymen vet (Blount), a scoring force down low and a rebounding presence (Fizer), and a super star in the making (Crawford) for three scrubs from a team with a worse record that ours? Johnson starts for the Suns, but if he played for any other team he probably wouldn't see a lot of playing time White is straight nasty (and I don't mean in a good way). When Amare returns White will play 5 mins a night tops. And Casey Jacobson is about as one dimensional as they come.

I have a better idea, let's throw in Curry, JYD, Gill, and Hinrich for Jake Voskul and call it good.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't mean to criticize, but that was about the lamest responce you could give. Cory Blount has absolutely 0 value to the Chicago Bulls. When Tyson Chandler comes back, he'll be what the 5th post player off the bench??
I don't know how Marcus Fizer can be a rebounding presence from the bench. He needs a new start with a new team, but he doesn't exactly have a lot of value for Chicago.

Jamal Crawford has the potential to become a superstar if he can get it all together. Hopefully he does that with Chicago, but who knows what Pax will do. Crawf has been in the doghouse of late.

You also say Joe Johnson wouldn't get any PT for most of the teams?? I don't know where you get that from, but Joe Johnson is also a star in the making. He can handle the ball, rebound and actually play defense. Phoenix is actually giving him the chance to show what he can do and I'm sure Boston regrets trading him in the first place.
Casey Jacbobsen has a legit 3 point shot that could be lethal with a team who has post players who get double teamed.

I'm not saying this is a bad trade either way, but you seem way too biased towards the Chicago Bulls.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
the point is the trade doesn't do anything for the bulls. imo white is worse than blount, blount's been very efficent in his minutes. and even if you consider johnson to be a superstar in the making - he's still a kid we would have to wait on to develop. how long until we start throwing him in trades? casey jacobson gets the edge on fizer since he actually gets minutes but again jacobson isn't going to put us over the hump and make us a legit playoff contender this season.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. The season is toast whether a trade is made or not.
2. Jamal is NOT a super star in the making. Career .405 FG%(.399 this season) is LIMP.
3.Corie Blount is THIRTY FIVE!
4.MF?!
5.An upgrade of the pick could make the difference in getting the right player for the Bull.

Thank you all for your comments. :)

P.S.: My trade proposals are meant to be realistic. They aren't meant to flatter Bull players.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
4 Reasons why I don't like

1) No one trades before the draft order has been determined. The draft is enough of a gamble as it is and you're just adding more variables to the problem.

(The rest of the 3 reasons are why I don't like trading Jamal in general unless it yields AT LEAST a second tier star ala Rashard Lewis/Shawn Marion.)

2) How about a little consistency to our team here ? We've already made 2 major shakeups this season, all in one weekend. Were almost like a pickup team, while teams like the Lakers and Mavs have essentially stayed the same, only adding and improving in leaps and bounds for the past frickin' 5-6 years. If we trade Jamal, we will have traded our two 1st options the past two years. People on the boards seem to think continuity in terms of personnel (especially for a young club) is a key to success, so why don't we start on that ? (Then again, I understand that we all have a real gm ;) in us.

3) Though he may not be the superstar, Jamal could just be the piece that we need. The career .405 is misleading. It's not that he's a bad shooter, he's inconsistent. It's not as if he can't improve: one night he can shoot 12/17 and the next night he'll go 1/9. I seriously think that he needs to take it one step at a time. His mind always appears to be thinking ahead.

4) I also don't want to increase dependence on the twin towers that haven't been around to prove anything. Eddy's proven that he isn't consistent, only that he's not as dominating as we thought he could be. And Tyson's proven that he's got a back of glass.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
1. if a trade changes nothing what's the point then?

2. joe john is a career 40% shooter. 39% this year. 23% in three's this year. this is not an upgrade.

3. Blount is here for what 1-2 years. like you said he'll get less pt once chandler is healthy. just like jahidi white. again, what's the point.

4. MF?!

5. if deng and okafor are as legit as people think why would the suns trade the chance away. it's obvious they're in a bit of a rebuild mode.

let's not confuse activity with progress.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I found this post to be kind of interesting now. The guy proposes a deal with the key ingrediants being Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford and everyone shoots it down right away. No one thought Joe Jonson was anything special in the least bit. I'm kind of curious what people think about Joe Johnson now that he's been given a chance to succeed. He seems to make smart decisions with the ball and seems like he could have been a good fit with the Bulls. He looks like he could be a star in the making here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.