Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading articles that have the Bulls potentially moving up in this years draft. The majority of the talks have the Bulls moving up to take North Carolina's Harrison Barnes, who measured out high at this years combine. In order for this to happen, the Bulls most likely would have to part with either Noah or Deng. It would make sense if it was Deng, as Barnes is much like Deng.
This move would be so unlike the Bulls, as they rarely move up in the draft. It does make some sense. If the Bulls are looking at next year as a wash because of the Rose injury, then the time might be now to shake up the core a bit. If the Bulls move Deng to move into the top 10 in this years draft, then they most likely will use the amnesty on Boozer after NEXT year. Having both Boozer and Deng's contracts of the books would put the Bulls in contention for a major free agent in 2014. With Rose, Noah, and Gibson, a high 2012 draft pick, a big name FA, and our euro PF, combined with the Charlotte pick...the Bulls would have a new core moving forward after the Rose injury. Just a thought...

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
I can actually see John Salmons/#5 for Luol Deng making a lot of sense for the Bulls and the Kings.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can actually see John Salmons/#5 for Luol Deng making a lot of sense for the Bulls and the Kings.

Or the Bulls pony up a little more and get Evans/#5 for Deng/+ ... Tyreke can man the point a bit while Rose is out and then slide over to SG when Rose is healthy. The Bulls have been looking for a combo guard that can both score and help Rose with some of the ball handling duties so Rose can play a little more off the ball.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
I think Evans has more trade value that Luol Deng at the moment. Throwing in the #5 would be dumb, even for Sacramento.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, I'm not saying the Bulls have a great chance at getting Evans, but more the fact that he is exactly what they are looking for. The Bulls could offer more, but I'm not sure draft picks would get it done. And, if the plan was to eventually get rid of Deng AND Boozer, then Gibson becomes just that much more important to the Bulls, so including him wouldn't make much sense.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Ya, I'm not saying the Bulls have a great chance at getting Evans, but more the fact that he is exactly what they are looking for. The Bulls could offer more, but I'm not sure draft picks would get it done. And, if the plan was to eventually get rid of Deng AND Boozer, then Gibson becomes just that much more important to the Bulls, so including him wouldn't make much sense.
I'm still in favor of a consolidation trade, but this move does make sense and has had some discussion already. I believe I'm the one that posted a thread about it.

The trick here is that you have to be absolutely positive on the rookie at #5. You miss with this pick, and all of the sudden we are like Boston, Atlanta, and Indiana. Very solid teams, but not in the contender conversation at all.

·
Ugliest SupMember
1,704 Posts
Deng's value will not be higher. If we can get a top 5 pick for him along with Evans, i would take that and run very fast. I would throw in a future pick too.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
And who plays C??? Asik for 30+ minutes per night??? I would trade Deng over Noah in a heartbeat, unless we somehow get more magical frontcourt depth.
I would use the 5th overall pick to take a big, or move it for a big. I just think Evans and the 5th pick in the draft are more valuable from an asset standpoint. I'm in no hurry to lose Noah, don't get me wrong.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
I would use the 5th overall pick to take a big, or move it for a big. I just think Evans and the 5th pick in the draft are more valuable from an asset standpoint. I'm in no hurry to lose Noah, don't get me wrong.
Fair point. To me, we are giving up the best player and hoping that the sum of its parts end up being better. That's exactly the opposite of what I want to do. This team has the most assets it probably ever will before it's deconstructed. This is the time to make a consolidation trade.

If we do trade Noah, the only big I really want is Thomas Robinson. I don't think taking on the Drummond project would be smart, and while I think Sullinger will be a good pro, I think he has a very low ceiling. Neither of those guys are someone I would want to trade Noah for. If we are taking TRob, then that still doesn't address the who plays Center issue. Boozer can play spot minutes there, but I would not want to see it for 25-30 minutes every night.

I don't think trading Noah for a draft pick is smart, in my eyes at least.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Since this is a good spot, I might add that my two favorite ideas in acquiring a pick or moving up in the draft is to trade our Charlotte pick for a top 8 pick in this draft and or packaging Asik + our first rounder to move up as far as we can (high teens).

Asik's D is great, but I would sacrifice him to gain a more offensive minded big plus the ability to re-sign Gibson and Korver.

To me, Asik is not a part of the core.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Asik's a free agent and can't be traded. Also, no one's trading an immediate top 10 pick for the nebulous promise that the Bobcats will stay shitty for the next four years.
He's a RFA. Did the new CBA eliminate the ability to do this. I'm still not perfectly versed with all the rule changes, but I have seen this idea floating around from other posters and sources.

Regarding the Bobcats pick, I don't see why a team like the Pistons or New Orleans wouldn't want to improve their odds in obtaining a franchise player instead of just getting another rotational player. Golden State might be interested as well. Worst case scenerio you get a pick in the 8-12 range if Charlotte does get their situation turned around, while having better draft picks along the way cause you'll theoretically be worse.

In New Orleans case, I don't think Gordon, Davis and whoever is available at #10 gets them a .400-.500 winning percentage year 1, and I don't think a core of those three are enough. Trade the 10, run with Gordon and Davis, and you might end up with another top pick next year (in addition to the Charlotte pick in the future). I would think that sort of scenerio would be very attractive to a team wanting to tank and build assets.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts