Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, don't kill the messenger. I'm just telling you what I heard from a local SA radio station. I am just saying what I heard, so I don't believe nor do I think this will happen. Again: please don't kill the messenger.

Anyway, the Spurs, supposedly, have Ron Mercer on the trading block, and the Bulls, supposedly, have Eddy Curry on the trading block. If you get the point, then these two are the main parts of a "rumored" swap. Obviously, it wouldn't be a straight up trade for two reasons:

1) Salaries don't match
2) Eddy Curry is already a better player than Ron Mercer now.

Now, another Spur mentioned with this rumor is Malik Rose, who has taken the backseat to Robert Horry in SA. Again, this would just make the gap in salaries even larger, but no one other than Mercer/Rose/Curry was mentioned by the hosts. I am assuming the Bulls would then unload an unwanted contract to the Spurs (Eddie Robinson?).

Again, don't shoot the messenger. I am stressing that because I personally think the deal would be terrible for the Bulls, unless they are seriously looking at cap space that Mercer would provide. But, cap space at the expense of Eddy Curry is not something that I think the Bulls would seriously look at. Anyhow, I just wanted to mention it, because I thought it was interesting the Bulls might be looking for cap space for this summer. (Kobe?)

The bottom line is that I just wanted to see your opinion on this "rumor". I laughed at the idea, not because I wouldn't want it for the Spurs, but because I think the Bulls would be out of their mind to do a deal like that.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
First off, don't kill the messenger. I'm just telling you what I heard from a local SA radio station. I am just saying what I heard, so I don't believe nor do I think this will happen. Again: please don't kill the messenger.

Anyway, the Spurs, supposedly, have Ron Mercer on the trading block, and the Bulls, supposedly, have Eddy Curry on the trading block. If you get the point, then these two are the main parts of a "rumored" swap. Obviously, it wouldn't be a straight up trade for two reasons:

1) Salaries don't match

Now, another Spur mentioned with this rumor is Malik Rose, who has taken the backseat to Robert Horry in SA. Again, this would just make the gap in salaries even larger, but no one other than Mercer/Rose/Curry was mentioned by the hosts. I am assuming the Bulls would then unload an unwanted contract to the Spurs (Eddie Robinson?).

Again, don't shoot the messenger. I am stressing that because I personally think the deal would be terrible for the Bulls, unless they are seriously looking at cap space that Mercer would provide. But, cap space at the expense of Eddy Curry is not something that I think the Bulls would seriously look at. Anyhow, I just wanted to mention it, because I thought it was interesting the Bulls might be looking for cap space for this summer. (Kobe?)

The bottom line is that I just wanted to see your opinion on this "rumor". I laughed at the idea, not because I wouldn't want it for the Spurs, but because I think the Bulls would be out of their mind to do a deal like that.
Koko if I had a gun!

Just kidding mate

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sorry we traded away Mercer because he was garbage. Don't even bother bringing him up here in a trade for Eddy Curry.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
At mid December i heard a rumor that SA was interested in JYD

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
I would love to see this trade happen... Popovich might be able to make Eddy Curry into a real player. If anybody can teach discipline and effort it is Popovich.

Although I would have thought the Spurs would want Chandler instead... "the next David Robinson."

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
What's the point of clearing cap if we only save at most like 4 million? There's no point in that except for Reinsdorf to put a few more hundreds in his bank account. It doesn't get us anywhere near where we need to be to be significantly under the cap. We're going to have to clear a lot more than that for me to even consider it.

Plus Malik Rose is only in the second year of a 7 year, 42 million dollar deal. He's a fine role player and all, but that's too much.

If Paxson is even considering dealing our young guys just to clear cap, he needs to clear enough to make a run at a top flight free agent. If he is really thinking about this, which God I hope he isn't, he needs to get Horry instead of Rose b/c he has a team option next year for us to eventually decline and clear the cap.

Not shooting the messenger, shooting the idea. ;)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If Paxson did this deal, then he is an idiot. I'm confident he is smart enough not to trade Curry at the first opportunity, like he did with Rose.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!

1) Salaries don't match

What do you think about the trade KokoTheMonkey? If it happens it would appear that the Spurs would lose out on Manu this offseason unless they think the max he will get is the MLE.

-Petey

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Philo</b>!
As long as Kobe has guarenteed to Pax that he would sign with the Bulls, sure why not.
You'd also need to find a way to sheed Robinson and Davis at the least...

-Petey

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Can't believe it..
And also because Curry would not be good for Spurs system... He has not the toughness, not the etic ... Pop would tear him...
And the trade wouldn't be fair... Mercer is awful this year... maybe with a couple of 1st rounders and Malik in the affair it would be fair.. But won't happen... (Anyway I hope it will:D )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts