Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chicago trades: PG Jamal Crawford (9.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 2.4 apg in 20.9 minutes)
PF Marcus Fizer (12.3 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.6 apg in 25.8 minutes)
Chicago receives: PG Sam Cassell (19.7 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 6.7 apg in 35.2 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -1.9 ppg, -2.9 rpg, and +2.7 apg.

Milwaukee trades: PG Sam Cassell (19.7 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 6.7 apg in 35.2 minutes)
Milwaukee receives: PG Jamal Crawford (9.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 2.4 apg in 23 games)
PF Marcus Fizer (12.3 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.6 apg in 76 games)
Change in team outlook: +1.9 ppg, +2.9 rpg, and -2.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Would you do the trade? I personally feel that the Bulls are making a mistake by doing this, but this is a rumor going around that this deal may go down. I guess they think getting Cassell gives them a playoff birth

Bulls
C-Curry
PF-Chandler
SF-Rose
SG-Williams
PG-Cassell

Bucks
C-Gadzuric
PF-Mason
SF-Kukoc
SG-Redd
PG-Crawford

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Devestata</b>!
Chicago trades: PG Jamal Crawford (9.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 2.4 apg in 20.9 minutes)
PF Marcus Fizer (12.3 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.6 apg in 25.8 minutes)
Chicago receives: PG Sam Cassell (19.7 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 6.7 apg in 35.2 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -1.9 ppg, -2.9 rpg, and +2.7 apg.

Milwaukee trades: PG Sam Cassell (19.7 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 6.7 apg in 35.2 minutes)
Milwaukee receives: PG Jamal Crawford (9.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 2.4 apg in 23 games)
PF Marcus Fizer (12.3 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.6 apg in 76 games)
Change in team outlook: +1.9 ppg, +2.9 rpg, and -2.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Would you do the trade? I personally feel that the Bulls are making a mistake by doing this, but this is a rumor going around that this deal may go down. I guess they think getting Cassell gives them a playoff birth

Bulls
C-Curry
PF-Chandler
SF-Rose
SG-Williams
PG-Cassell

Bucks
C-Gadzuric
PF-Mason
SF-Kukoc
SG-Redd
PG-Crawford

Thoughts?

It's fine as far as trading fizer because we have Baxter to take his role, and Cassell is better than Crawford... HOWEVER if Jay is gonna play SG there is no doubt he will be able to score but can he defend the taller guys??? unless we start Jalen at SG and EROB or Hassell at SF and keep Jay on the bench as a backup PG

·
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Bulls/Bucks Trade

Originally posted by <b>HAWK23</b>!

It's fine as far as trading fizer because we have Baxter to take his role, and Cassell is better than Crawford... HOWEVER if Jay is gonna play SG there is no doubt he will be able to score but can he defend the taller guys??? unless we start Jalen at SG and EROB or Hassell at SF and keep Jay on the bench as a backup PG
That's what I was thinking as a second option. Jay will probably be able to play SG ok, but it may be best to bench him for a few years if they did this trade.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
That is a very fair trade. Chicago gets a verteran point guard to help mentor Williams and the Bucks get rid of Cassell and his problems. In the process of getting rid of Cassell they get a young point guard and a young power forward.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I believe it is rumored that Joel Pryzbilla is in the trade also.

I like the trade, because this would be another step for the Bulls making the playoffs sooner. Crawford has potential and Fizer is good off the bench, but both their contracts are up soon. I really don't think the Bulls will resign Fizer unless he isn't greedy and wants to stay with the Bulls.

Cassell would make the Bulls a probable 8-10 seed. However, Jerry is in love with Crawford, so would he trade him???? I would like the trade, but as far as Jay going on the bench, I would only sit him on the bench for a short time. Bulls fans want to see this guy play. If this trade does go down, here is what I think the lineup should be.

C- Curry
PF- Chandler
SF- Rose
SG- Hassell
PG- Cassell

after a month (at most)
C- Curry
PF- Chandler
SF- Rose
G- Jay Williams
G- Sam Cassell

The only problem I have with this trade is that it would create mismatch problems on defense, because Cassell is only 6-3 and Williams only 6-2.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I thought the rumored trade was a re-signed Travis Best and Crawford for Cassell?

·
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>SS_Solid_Snake</b>!
I thought the rumored trade was a re-signed Travis Best and Crawford for Cassell?
Well, either trade could work out fine IMO.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Devestata</b>!
I personally feel that the Bulls are making a mistake by doing this
How are the Bulls making a mistake by doing this? The Bulls would be ripping the Bucks off in this deal. Crawford won't amount to much, and Fizer is and always will be a good role player.

The Bulls got Jay Williams in the draft...why would they need another PG?

·
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: Bulls/Bucks Trade

Originally posted by <b>The X Factor</b>!

How are the Bulls making a mistake by doing this? The Bulls would be ripping the Bucks off in this deal. Crawford won't amount to much, and Fizer is and always will be a good role player.

The Bulls got Jay Williams in the draft...why would they need another PG?
I think Crawford could be special, but they want to win now. I guess it really isn't bad, the only reason I thought it wouldn't be a smart move is because Jay Williams wouldn't get too much PT unless they had an undersized SG. I'd still do it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
thIS IS NOT A GOODT TRADE...IF THE BUCKS TRADE CASSELL FOR BEST AND CRAWFORD THEN THEY WILL ELIMNATE THEMSLEVES FROM THE PLAYOFFS...POINT BLANK...CASSELL IS A GREAT PG..IN MATTER HE IS ONE OF THE TOP 8 PG'S IN THE LEAGUE....I DON'T LIKE THIS TRADE AT ALL....

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Regardless of what happens here, keep the following things in mind:

1) Jay Williams WILL start for the Bulls and play well over 30 minutes/game. You can call him a PG, a SG, whatever--THE DUDE WILL START.

2) Sam Cassell's contract is up after next season, and he's NOT going to be re-signed by the Bucks. He might not even be re-signed by the Bulls, assuming this trade happens.

3) I HIGHLY DOUBT that Jerry Krause is going to trade Marcus Fizer AND Jamal Crawford for an unwanted veteran point guard who may not even be back with the team after next season. Now I'm not saying that I LIKE either Fizer or Crawford, because I DON'T--but the two dudes have more trade value than THAT! They don't have a TON of trade value, but c'mon, both guys for SAM CASSELL?

4) The Bucks just traded Glenn Robinson, who averaged over 20 points/game last season, for TONI KUKOC (and a first-round pick, which WILL be a lottery pick, since the Hawks AIN'T gonna make the playoffs). Milwaukee is DUMPING GUYS. They will be MORE THAN HAPPY with Fizer and Best or Crawford and Best.

5) Sam Cassell is STILL an above average starting PG in this league. But he's NOT one of the top ten starting PGs in the league, as somebody just suggested--if he WERE top ten, why in the hell would the Bucks be trying to get rid of him?

6) The Bulls WON'T make the playoffs next season, whether they acquire Cassell or NOT. But they WILL be a lot better than they were in 2001-02. I think they'll be right there with Milwaukee and Atlanta for the 11-12-13 spots in the East (ahead of New York and Cleveland, behind Washington, Miami, and Toronto).

7) Marcus Fizer is a BUST, and he AIN'T gonna eventually re-sign with the Bulls. Will he start at PF for the Bucks? Ahead of Anthony Mason? Nope--not unless Mason gets dumped, too (which COULD happen). And what about Jason Caffey and Marcus Haislip? Is Fizer a good fit in Milwaukee?

8) Jamal Crawford WOULD, however, be given an opportunity to start in Milwaukee, while Travis Best would give the team a solid combo guard off the bench (I think he FINALLY realizes that he's not a starter in this league, but he's STILL a hell of a bench player).

9) Jalen Rose started at SG, not SF, for the Bulls last season. And the team ALREADY has a nice backup guard (Trenton Hassell). Why would the Bulls want or need Sam Cassell? Like I said, he WOULDN'T be re-signed by Chicago, and the Bulls AIN'T gonna make the playoffs during his one season there.

BOTTOM LINE: This trade doesn't make sense for the Bulls. Jerry Krause should hold out and see if he can get something better for Crawford, a guy who has several teams interested. If the Bucks would take Fizer and Best for Cassell, I say the Bulls should do it in a SECOND.

Meanwhile, the Bucks could PROBABLY do better. Jamal Crawford and Best would be better than no trade at all, though. And Fizer needs to be avoided by the Bucks, don't you think? Sam Cassell would start for a LOT of teams out there, a lot of PLAYOFF contenderss who would have much more use for him than Chicago. Teams like:

Boston (Cassell for Tony Delk and Shammond Williams?)
Indiana (Cassell for Ron Artest and filler?)
Orlando (Cassell for a future #1 and filler?)
Philly (Cassell for Eric Snow or Aaron McKie?)
Washington (Cassell and Pryzbilla for Chris Whitney and Popeye Jones?)
Miami (Cassell for either Chris Gatling or LaPhonso Ellis and a future #1?)
Toronto (Cassell for Alvin Williams?)
L.A. Lakers (Cassell for Kareem Rush and Tracy Murray?)
Portland (Cassell for Ruben Patterson?)
L.A. Clippers (Cassell and Pryzbilla for Keyon Dooling and filler?)
Minnesota (Cassell for a future #1 and filler?)

Sam Cassell DOES have value, more value than Glenn Robinson because of his contract. It'll be interesting to see what happens!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I don't understand the value of this trade to the Bulls. I agree with the previous post that there are plenty of teams Cassell would make more sense for.

I think the best option for the Bulls with Crawford is either to keep him and hope he turns into a dynamite combo guard, or to trade him for either a defense-minded swingman (Posey comes to mind) or a lunchpail-type 4 or 5 who can tutor Curry and Chandler.

What the Bulls don't need is a veteran point guard who deserves to and will expect to start, messing up Jay Williams' development as the long-term floor leader Chicago needs him to be.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!

L.A. Lakers (Cassell for Kareem Rush and Tracy Murray?)

!
No way this would happen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts