Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we have chat room capabilities, I was thinking we should have a Bulls Game Chat, possibly for every game. I know the game thread is a big attraction, but I think the chat would be even cooler because you can post things as they happen and it would be a better way for people who cannot watch the games to get close to up-to-the-second updates. We can have our own Bulls Game chat room and possibly make it a permanent chat room if there's enough interest.

One thing I'm not sure of (and maybe DaBullz or someone else "in the know" can answer this) is if there's a limit to how many users can be in any one chat room at a given time. That could be one thing to prevent this from being worthwhile.

Who else would be interested to see this?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Lol...a permanent chat would be devestating to my productivity.

A game chat would be devestating to my post count... ;)

I'm all for it, though, nevertheless. Fantastic idea. The only problem for me is that going back to read game threads if I've missed a game is really fun and a chat transcript wouldn't be quite as easy to sift through. Also, I don't have a tv right near my desktop so the "run in and post" function would be somewhat dulled because I'd be so late if it were live chat.

All that being said, chat during the games is a great idea...with a few wrinkles that would take getting used to.

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
I agree with my esteemed colleagues. Much prefer the game thread. I'm not familiar with chat-rooms, though, so am open to new ideas. Sell it.

;)

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with the "lost posts" theory. It's nice to have the game thread for people to look at the next day. I don't want to lose that, either. That begs the question "How can you have a game chat while, at the same time, not affecting the game thread?" My answer: I have no idea. I definitely do not want to lose the posts. That's the very essence of this site, after all.

However, as far as the advantage of a chat, it's clear: it is as close as you can get to sitting around watching a game with a bunch of other fans as you can get on the internet.

Let me give just one example where you'd see a difference. While posting is great and this site is blazingly fast these days, there is still a delay between a thought/comment/rant popping in your head and the time it is actually out there for everyone else to see. A chat greatly shortens that delay. If you have a quick, witty statement, type it and BOOM, it's there. It's almost like having an actual conversation, just replace vocals with typing.

There's evidence of this advantage right here on bbb.net with us mods. Every couple days, a bunch of the mods get together in a chat and discuss various things. Sometimes important, often times not, but it's a way to just sit around and have a discussion. Could we do that in a thread? Of course. But, we choose to have a chat because it is easier to have a nicely flowing conversation that way.

Anyway, that's my "spiel," Wynn!. I have no idea if I sold it, but at least I wasted a good ten minutes trying to! :uhoh:

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
PC Load Letter said:
Anyway, that's my "spiel," Wynn!. I have no idea if I sold it, but at least I wasted a good ten minutes trying to! :uhoh:
Thanks for the info, PC! I'm also in the situation that Beale! mentioned where the computer and the TV are in separate rooms. I like to post observations during the game breaks and read what others have said. The way I understand it, I may lose a lot of the chat that way?

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Wynn said:
Thanks for the info, PC! I'm also in the situation that Beale! mentioned where the computer and the TV are in separate rooms. I like to post observations during the game breaks and read what others have said. The way I understand it, I may lose a lot of the chat that way?

i think a chat could be a very fun idea, but i have a similar thing with the computer and tv even though in my case it is in the same (big) room. i like going to the thread during commercials and halftime. i also like the game threads to refer to later.

but what about a post-game wrap-up chat? could that work?

that way the integrity of the game thread would remain intact, and we could all chat while waiting for the highlights to show up on espn/nba tv.

also - would the user names for the chat be the same as our names here? my AIM name is different, so that could be confusing if we have to use those names. how exactly does the chat here work?

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Is there any way to log the chat and post it into a thread?

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mizenkay said:
also - would the user names for the chat be the same as our names here? my AIM name is different, so that could be confusing if we have to use those names. how exactly does the chat here work?
You should see a 'Live Chat' link on the left (9th link down). The chat just uses whatever username you are logged in as on bbb.net. Click on it and check out the main chat room to see how it works.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Showtyme said:
Is there any way to log the chat and post it into a thread?
As excited as I am about having a "real" conversation with all of you wonderful people (really...:)) I can't get behind the idea of a game chat unless there were a way to log it to the boards. I might pop in there for a post-game...but I'm still going to want that kind of discussion to be around for posterity.

If we can log these things into a thread, maybe stickied and updated after each game (?) I'm all for it. That way I can participate (hoorah!) when there's time and read when I'm away. Still doesn't help much with wanting to run in and out during breaks, though...I'd be more likely to miss out on game action so I don't leave a conversation or miss a joke.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts