Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it occurs to me that if the Bulls ever want to be competitive this year, they will need to make a mid-season trade. Their biggest need, of course, is consistent scoring punch. We have several attractive tradeable assets between Thomas' expiring contract, our draft picks, and our young guns.

Here are the top candidates I would like to see in a Bulls uniform that appear to be on the trade block:

Kevin Garnett - OK, this one's obvious. We'd all love to see it, and we may actually have the assets to get him. What would it take? I'm guessing something along the lines of Thomas, Gordon, Sweetney, Deng/Nocioni, Draft Pick. Probably 4 of those 5 assets with Thomas obviously included.

Corey Maggette - I think this option is unlikely since their hot start, but he was on the trading block during the off-season. He is a very good scorer, good defender, and has good size in the backcourt. He is also the slasher we desperately need. Any trade for Maggette would have to involve Gordon and a draft pick, and likely one other bench contributor. The Clips are one of the few backcourts where Gordon's size wouldn't be a major hindrance since they have the 6'7 Livingston lining up at PG.

Carlos Boozer - This is probably the best option for us. Boozer went from a total stud on his way up, to a malcontent with a bad reputation very quickly. I don't think it is completely warranted, however. Boozer was known at Duke to be a tough competitor who often needed a kick-in-the-***. He doesn't display his emotions at all, which can cause coaches to think he's not trying, but he's not a guy who's ever had a problem putting in the work. I think Larry Miller's public comments questioning Booz's toughness reflected his lack of understanding what makes him tick rather than an accurate assessment. Moral of the story: Booz is on the block, and I believe can really thrive in the right situation and turn things around quickly. I think a hard working Bulls team with some familiar faces (Duhon, Deng) and the right coach would get the most out of him. What would he bring to the table? Inside scoring, 1st quarter scoring, high FG%, solid defense, very good rebounding. He could be the new yin to Tyson Chandler's yang. He basically brings a lot of what Curry brought to the table, but he also crashes the boards hard night in and night out. What would it take to get him? Tim Thomas + Draft Pick (they would need to throw in someone else to match salaries).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Garnett and Maggette are long shots. As for Boozer, he plays power forward, which is being manned by Sweetney. To get Boozer, Sweetney would more than likely have to be included. It would probably take Sweetney, Nocioni and a throw in to get Boozer. Would be a solid addition though...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The Clips are one of the few backcourts where Gordon's size wouldn't be a major hindrance since they have the 6'7 Livingston lining up at PG.
It wouldn't be an issue if Livingston were playing, but i'd have to say to get Maggette, we would most likely have to give up Deng, as they do seem set with Cassell and Mobley. As for Maggette, if you want that style of player, you might as well go for the complete package and target Pierce. Plus his attitude is something that concerns me, his team is winning and all he can do is ***** and moan.

Carlos Boozer - This is probably the best option for us.
It would be nice to have him, but our team lacks a center, we have plenty of forwards. Though seeing how Larry Miller is pretty upset at him, he'd probably come as cheaply as you've stated, but they really don't have any salaries that they would give up in that range, unless we give the secret handshake and waive the guy.
Thinking about it, i'd even do a Boozer for Chandler trade, Chandler is a nice player, but for 10+mill or so a year, i'd rather get more of a complete player.

Paul Pierce definitely would be another top candidate, as he's always on the trading block.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Boozer IMO benefitted a lot in Cleveland from playing with Lebron, and got a very nice contract becuase of it.

Without a player of Lebron's caliber alongisde him though, now Boozer's an overpaid undersized power forward. Aside from some more athleticism, I'm not sure what more oozer brings to the table than Sweetney.

Utah would love to get rid of Boozer's contract. Though, I don't think Paxson would be happy to acquire that bad contract.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Good ideas.

If Pax really wants to put the bulls in a position to make real waves in the playoffs, I think he should be thinking about making a play for Kobe.

LA is not going anywhere with the team they have, and we can provide some building pieces for them, like draft picks and some of our core.

A backcourt of Hinrich and Kobe would be outstanding at both ends of the court. Add to it something like Deng, Sweetney, and Chandler, and you have a real contender.

This leaves something like Gordon, TT, Pike, Nocioni as the likely pieces I'd like to see us offer up. Along with both our 1st round picks.

·
Registered
980 Posts
On the surface Maggette would appear to be a great fit for the Bulls. We need athleticism and scoring and he fills the bill quite well. However, I read a scouting report recently (I forgot where) which claimed that Maggette had a low basketball IQ, e.g. he could not remember plays. If so, that is something that would totally rub Skiles the wrong way.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
DaBullz said:
Good ideas.

If Pax really wants to put the bulls in a position to make real waves in the playoffs, I think he should be thinking about making a play for Kobe.

LA is not going anywhere with the team they have, and we can provide some building pieces for them, like draft picks and some of our core.

A backcourt of Hinrich and Kobe would be outstanding at both ends of the court. Add to it something like Deng, Sweetney, and Chandler, and you have a real contender.

This leaves something like Gordon, TT, Pike, Nocioni as the likely pieces I'd like to see us offer up. Along with both our 1st round picks.
I just don't get it. Kobe is in the same category as Duncan, untouchable. While Kupcake has made some questionable decisions, he's got nothing on Babcock. He's definitely not trading Kobe, especially for the likes of what you are offering.

Plus LA isn't in as bad shape as most people think, of course this years team is playing quite averagely, who really was expecting otherwise? They have a great coach, a superstar player and they're dumping alot of their salary in the next 2 years. As for the rest, I reckon they need to ship Odom off, try and get something decent in return, who knows, they might have more luck with Boozer (a quick thought, salaries are reasonably close), or even entertain a Pierce trade and have more luck trying to replicate the Pippen and Jordan partnership with them.

Plus there are plenty of decent players who would probably go for the money (which they'll offer).
Rumours have Rashard Lewis wants to opt out of his last 2 years.
There's always Bosh, who could play for the QO and bolt out of Toronto, if he's smart.
Pierce has a player option for the 07/08 season that he can easily opt out on.
Can't be bothered thinking/finding more, but you get my drift.

Back to the Bulls, I agree on your point, we do need to obtain a superstar player somehow. Whether Gordon matures into one, or we obtain via draft, either way the team comes across as the perfect fit for a superstar guard to pop right in and take over the reigns. Pierce comes across as the only one that would probably be available at the right price, and probably would be the only other player besides Kobe that i would really want. Though i've been going over and over about the possibility of getting Ray Allen. Seattle always comes across to me as being really cheap, so financial flexibility and young talent could be enough for them to consider an offer.
If they keep up their performance, who knows what will be possible.

Gordon, TT, Nocioni and our picks for Allen and Radmanovic ? Hopefully we would be able to keep Deng.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
DaBullz said:
Good ideas.

you can't be serious...

·
Sunlight in a distant sky
2,810 Posts
The ROY said:
you can't be serious...

What?

Ben Gordon + 2 x1st round picks aren't enough for Mamba?

Pigs arse

Its an overpayment if anything

Its part of the Old "new" school ( kiss the franchise players arse ) v the New "Old" School thing that predominates expectations and attitides with how we view players , and indeed , the game of basketball - which is at the crux of the real culture clash which is part of today's game , and very generally speaking , splits people into two broad camps

Kobe is a great player ..no doubt but I seriously would have to pause giving up Ben Gordon and 2 x 1st round picks to go get him

Too much bagagge too..

·
2,810 Posts
And if Phil Jaclson was GM ..and Kobe will not dance the 2nd time round I bet you London to a brick that Jackson does a trade similar to what DaBullz is talking about

Gordon is a perfect complement to Odom

Nocioni is International system ball orientated which suits the sharing caring bang the tamborine happy clappy philsophies of Alpha Hippy Phil

Toss in Chandler ..and we keep our picks

Particularly if we're in a position to take Alridge and Boone with our picks .. go for vet bigs in free agency or trade

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
SausageKingofChicago said:
What?

Pigs arse

Its part of the Old "new" school ( kiss the franchise players arse ) v the New "Old" School thing that predominates expectations and attitides with how we view players , and indeed , the game of basketball - which is at the crux of the real culture clash which is part of today's game , and very generally speaking , splits people into two broad camps

Kobe is a great player ..no doubt but I seriously would have to pause giving up Ben Gordon and 2 x 1st round picks to go get him

Too much bagagge too..
Kobe turned 27 in August, so he's 3 years younger than KG. He really should be just about coming into his own as a franchise player. It's a real shame the Lakers are lacking in much talent to go with him, and with no real hope in the future, either.

I think we can afford to go without a draft pick (by giving up the 2x picks) because Kobe fills out our starting lineup soooo nicely:

PG: Kirk
SG: Kobe
C: Chandler
SF: Deng
PF: Sweets

Solid at all 5 positions. Plus songaila and Du give us a solid 7 man rotation. Use Cap Space to pick up a backup PF/C type and a SF. Heck, maybe go for Peja as people have discussed ad nauseum. Pargo and Othella give us decent role players, too.

Lakers get instantly better depth:
PG: Smush
SG: BG
C: Mihm
PF: Odom
SF: Nocioni

And the two draft picks to go for a stud.

I realize it's tempting for us to want those draft picks, but looking at the two teams here, we're already a couple years ahead of where the Lakers currently are.

For the Lakers, if they keep Kobe, they're going to maybe be .500 and end up with a mid-first round pick which isn't going to put them over the top.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts

Pigs arse

The only thing i can answer that is with ROY's line, you can't be serious...

·
2,810 Posts
step said:
The only thing i can answer that is with ROY's line, you can't be serious...
The Kobe Bryant "Lone Wolf McQuade" Era

Year 1 - Lottery

Year 2 - Lottery ( highly likely )

If the Lakers hang on to Mambo... and likewise if the Wolves hang on to Garnett... as glittering as their individual accomplishments may be ...neither franchises are serious about their basketball future

They're playing the old "new school" fan base who still confuse basketball with paegentry...and therefore if this constitutes a fan base of " if they want to eat cake then let them eat cake....."...well tuck in

The new "old school" is proving that basketball is beyond just one player and this is side of the divide that is winning through

Literally. ( and there is a bunch of examples )

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If the Lakers hang on to Mambo... and likewise if the Wolves hang on to Garnett... as glittering as their individual accomplishments may be ...neither franchises are serious about their basketball future
That's hilarious.

·
2,810 Posts
step said:
That's hilarious.
What's even more hilarious will be watching Mitch and Kev hold their breath at the bouncing of the ping pong balls when their superstars are in their prime and trying to get value out of MLE free agency

Capped out and nowhere to go

Bryant will not seriously contend into the foreseeable future with the Lakers and Garnett , assuming all the latest BS is believed , has pretty much lost his opportunity to be a contender in Minnesota

But let's all marvel at them individually while their franchises continue to accrue mid 1st rounders

Hilarious ?

High comedy indeed

Suck a long one Mitch..Kev..

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
I just want to add that Sausage King has finally topped Jeff van Gundy's "Big Chief Triangle" nickname for PJax.

"Alpha Hippy Phil."

That nails it. Priceless. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
So they should just dump their best player and welcome the garbage you offer, success garaunteed there.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts