Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Should the Bulls give Noah some rest?

• Yes. That is the right decision.

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • No. Miller and Thomas are worse then a hurt Noah.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-0204-bulls-76ers-chicago--20100203,0,7907616,print.story

Noah's frustrations moved past the Bulls dropping back-to-back winnable games after their five-game winning streak. Anyone who has watched the Bulls' energetic and emotional leader move — or, more accurately, not move — the last two games knows the obvious:

Plantar fasciitis has robbed Noah of his sprinting and his spirit. That's why the Bulls might consider shutting Noah down for the final four games before the All-Star break.

"I haven't spoken to anybody about that, but it's very frustrating," Noah said. "That's not me. I'm not 100 percent and I know I'm not moving right. I don't really know what to say. I can bring more than I'm doing. I'm out there trying to help the team, but I'm in pain.

"We don't have a lot of depth at center and Brad (Miller) is playing hurt as well. I'm going to go out there until the coaches tell me I'm hurting the team. I'm not going to be the one to say, 'I'm going to sit out a game.' The only reason I did that in Houston is because I literally couldn't play."

Noah grimaced and groaned his way through 27 minutes, scoring six points with eight rebounds. He played less than two minutes in the fourth quarter and 53 seconds in overtime.
It is a good idea to get Noah some rest. And they should give Gibson some rest, too.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on what Miller's injury is. Don't wanna abuse him too much either. More Tyrus is always good.
Do you really think that Thomas get many minutes?

http://blogs.bulls.com/chicago_bulls_blog/2010/02/bulls-have-little-spirit-and-lose-to-76ers-in-overtime.html

We know Del Negro, like Scott Skiles and Jim Boylan before him, has gotten worn out with Tyrus Thomas. But it not only was a game Thomas was playing well and actually much engaged, it was a game where he was the better matchup.

Elton Brand, who led the 76ers with 26 points, was dominating an ineffective Gibson, scoreless in 16 minutes and also with his own plantar fasciitis issues. He didn’t play after the third quarter.

Also, with Noah struggling, he ended up playing just 13 seconds in the overtime and 1:42 in the fourth quarter, and there were just too many layups the 76ers made without any real protection at the basket with Noah and Gibson out and Del Negro reluctant to play Thomas.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They're going to have to suck it up and play TT, and let Noah rest for a couple of weeks at least.
That would be my wish. But I have doubts that this will happen.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Oh perfect. The only player on this team who hasn't yet been injured this season, is now injured. And this happening to a team that clearly sucks when not 99.9% healthy. This is getting so old.

Couldn't see the past 2 games, but it sure sounds like Noah's pain is hurting the team. If that's the case, then it's not helping anybody to have him out there.

I'd still like to see the Kirk Hinrich for Farmar + Morrison + DJ Mbenga trade go down. Not only does this relieve cap space and gives us a good backup PG for the time being, Mbenga gives another big body at center (although he may not even be Aaron Gray quality).

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
^ Yeah, it sucks about Noah(and he's having a great season so far too) but, that type of injury requires rest and Noah needs it even though we're in the middle of a playoff race...

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Oh perfect. The only player on this team who hasn't yet been injured this season, is now injured. And this happening to a team that clearly sucks when not 99.9% healthy. This is getting so old.

Couldn't see the past 2 games, but it sure sounds like Noah's pain is hurting the team. If that's the case, then it's not helping anybody to have him out there.

I'd still like to see the Kirk Hinrich for Farmar + Morrison + DJ Mbenga trade go down. Not only does this relieve cap space and gives us a good backup PG for the time being, Mbenga gives another big body at center (although he may not even be Aaron Gray quality).
Mbenga is much better than Gray. He is actually very solid and prides himself on his D. He says he "is the second best defensive center in the NBA". Pretty funny, but he does play good D.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Mbenga is much better than Gray. He is actually very solid and prides himself on his D. He says he "is the second best defensive center in the NBA". Pretty funny, but he does play good D.
Well, sign me up then! I just saw that he's been in the league for like 6 years now and yet has never averaged more than 8 minutes a game with more DNP's than DP's. Since we merely want someone to replace some of Noah's minutes, then a defensive C would make sense and likely have more of an impact.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
More Tyrus is always good.
Oh no, hes is consistently one of the worst players on the court.

Noah needs to be shut down, Ive been saying for years that foot problems with big men is a HUGE problem and very important to treat early. Noah will never fully get rid of his foot problem but with treatment and rest he can minimize the pain associated with it, if the Bulls continue to play him and if he hurts his foot, even at his early age he will feel the impacts of it for the rest of his playing career, he would lose a step and produce less than he is now.

I think on the bright spot hes not a big 5, he doesn't carry the weight that Z, Yao, Oden and others do so if he takes a break until after the ASB he should be feeling better, but again it will not go away.

Blame Garpax for not bringing up anyone from the NBDL, I told you guys that playing Noah all those minutes in the first couple months of the season was a bad bad bad idea.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I say sign a hungry NBDL center to a ten day contract and play him heavy minutes, shut down Noah tomorrow and up until the first couple of games after the all star break. Play Thomas more too and try to get Gibson some rest. Hopefully with the All Star break sandwiched in there you can get them 3 weeks or so of good rest and let that plantar fascitis be dealt with some at least.

ACE

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
I'm game for a NBDL call up if the Laker trade idea doesn't happen. There is bound to be at least one center-sized big man who knows how to play defense and rebound. Easier to find than one who can score, so at least we have that going.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Here are some possibilities from my quick search on the NBDL site. Basically looking for centers who can rebound and block shots.

- Dwayne Jones (15.0 reb, 2.0 blk, 17 ppg): http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=dwayne_jones

- Earl Barron (10 reb, 15 ppg, has NBA experience): http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=earl_barron

- Alexis Ajinca (7.5 reb, 3.1 blk, 14 ppg): http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=alexis_ajinca

The numbers of course are deceiving due to poor competition and heavy minutes, but surely these are the best centers you can expect to find at a moment's notice.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Here are some possibilities from my quick search on the NBDL site. Basically looking for centers who can rebound and block shots.

- Dwayne Jones (15.0 reb, 2.0 blk, 17 ppg): http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=dwayne_jones

- Earl Barron (10 reb, 15 ppg, has NBA experience): http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=earl_barron

- Alexis Ajinca (7.5 reb, 3.1 blk, 14 ppg): http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=alexis_ajinca

The numbers of course are deceiving due to poor competition and heavy minutes, but surely these are the best centers you can expect to find at a moment's notice.
Arent there NBA teams that already own the rights to those guys?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Picking up guys from the NBDL is not as easy as it is in baseball, the Bulls have 0 contracted players in the NBDL correct? I could be wrong but I dont think they can call up NBDL players who are under contract with other teams, so wouldn't they have to go after NBDL players who are technically free agents and who are only playing on the Iowa Energy?

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Most NBDL players are free agents. They can't call up guys who other teams have the rights to but thats generally about a dozen or so guys in the whole NBDL.

ACE

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Most NBDL players are free agents. They can't call up guys who other teams have the rights to but thats generally about a dozen or so guys in the whole NBDL.

ACE
But they also cant call up players from other NBDL teams correct? Or would they have to sign them as free agents?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts