Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Judging from this early season what do you feel our biggest problem is so far. while it may not be our biggest problem we seem to have trouble socring early on, however that can be cured by maybe changing the starting lineup. Will think of more but what are yours

P.S who in the draft do you think may solve some of these problems Williams(Duke) Aldridge(Texas if knicks suck enough) Boone(UConn)

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
the bulls biggest problem is a lack of size.

i would draft tiago splitter without a doubt, even if it required trading up.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Though I'm guessing theres little to no possibility of the Bulls acquiring him, I'm excited about Josh McRoberts -- the Duke Freshman. I saw a few snipets of the game against Boston University yesterday and he struck me as extremely skilled for his size. He made a number of good post moves and passes. On the downside, he looks like a "slow" rebounder. He still is not used to having to battle players for boards, but he brings a lot of effort and I'm guessing he improves on this over the season. Also, still looks lost on offense a lot of the time, but hes in the perfect place for his development.

I know it's early for draft mode, but I'd love to see him in a Bulls jersey next year.

Reactions: Da Grinch

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
such sweet thunder said:
Though I'm guessing theres little to no possibility of the Bulls acquiring him, I'm excited about Josh McRoberts -- the Duke Freshman. I saw a few snipets of the game against Boston University yesterday and he struck me as extremely skilled for his size. He made a number of good post moves and passes. On the downside, he looks like a "slow" rebounder. He still is not used to having to battle players for boards, but he brings a lot of effort and I'm guessing he improves on this over the season. Also, still looks lost on offense a lot of the time, but hes in the perfect place for his development.

I know it's early for draft mode, but I'd love to see him in a Bulls jersey next year.

i wasn't even thinking about mcroberts , he is going to be a good one, i thought he should have come out in the last draft , for some reason i look at him as a guy who stays in school a while.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Mikedc said:
I haven't seen him play yet, but he's clearly as synonymous with middle-American goodness as Kirk Hinrich, Scott Skiles and Sprite :)

What's with the Adam Rich haircut from Eight is Enough ?

Dude needs a Do

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
I think Boone, Williams, and Aldridge fit in with what Skiles/Paxson have going, but none of them are going to score points for us. They're all more or less built in the Chandler mold, maybe with a little more offensive game. Williams is the best college scorer of the three so far, but he does it with brute strength, not with the offensive polish of a Boozer or Brand. I don't know if that will work as well against bigger, stronger guys. Boone's a tough mother, but again, few post moves. Aldridge is a talent, but he's no big scorer yet.

McRoberts is a serious talent. He can sky and dunk and shoot as well. Good all court game, good size. He will also replace Reddick right off the bat as the most hated player in America. I mean, a talented white guy playing at Duke with the name of McRoberts. I feel for him.

Tiago Splitter would seem like a good fit. He's a seven footer with a real post game and range, or so the scouts say. I've never seen him play. If his game is anything like Gasol's, he would be a godsend for us. BTW, can you imagine pairing Chandler with Gasol? Now there's a good match.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do duke players prepare to play for the bulls in the pros? maybe the Bluedevils and Bulls got some kind of secret connection :biggrin:
Williams
Brand
Duhon
Deng
on the brochere it should say "most of our duke basketball players have sucessful NBA careers as Chicago Bulls players in the pro level" will S.Williams, Redick, or McRoberts be next? :laugh:

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Hair doesn't look like that anymore.

In re Da Grinch: Yeah, can you imagine being a star at Duke? I can't. All of those insane, um. . . fans. The NBA would be such a let down.

Seriously though, despite all of McRoberts' skills he looked like a Freshman on the court. He was getting lost, and a step slow to react. You just know coah K is going to work wonders with him. By tournament time McRoberts is going to be the hands down star of that team.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
nybullsfan said:
Do duke players prepare to play for the bulls in the pros? maybe the Bluedevils and Bulls got some kind of secret connection :biggrin:
Williams
Brand
Duhon
Deng
on the brochere it should say "most of our duke basketball players have sucessful NBA careers as Chicago Bulls players in the pro level" will S.Williams, Redick, or McRoberts be next? :laugh:
well up until last year i doubt anyone would call them successful in chciago

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
such sweet thunder said:
Hair doesn't look like that anymore.

In re Da Grinch: Yeah, can you imagine being a star at Duke? I can't. All of those insane, um. . . fans. The NBA would be such a let down.

Seriously though, despite all of McRoberts' skills he looked like a Freshman on the court. He was getting lost, and a step slow to react. You just know coah K is going to work wonders with him. By tournament time McRoberts is going to be the hands down star of that team.
lets see college star...broke and have to go to class

pro star = millionaire...i think i go for chioce #2

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Bulls biggest problems, size and finishing around the basket. Possible draft solutions......

My radar for big men in the 06' draft *= Unwatchable Europeons
McRoberts, Duke 6'10"
*Splitter, Brazil 7'0"
Aldridge, Texas 6'11"
Williams, Duke 6'9"
Boone, Uconn 6'11"
Fazekas, Nevada 6'11"
*Bargnani, Italy 7'0"
Horford, Florida 6'10"
Gray, Oklahoma 6'9"
Smith, ColoradoSt 7'0"
Giles, Kansas 6'11"
Padgett, Louisville 6'11"
Townes, Arkansas 6'10"
Diene, Baylor 7'0"

Draft 06 Athletic Wing Radar
Brewer, Arkansas 6'7"
Carney, Memphis 6'7"
Roby, Colorado 6'5"
Adams, Arizona 6'4"
White, Cinci 6'7"
Collins, Temple 6'6"
Jones, Washington 6'6"
Roy, Washington 6'6"
Wright, Kansas 6'8"
Giddens, NewMexico 6'6"
Hairston, Oregon 6'6"

I will be watching for overall skill when it comes to the big guys. For the wings I will be watching their guard skills, who can handle, shoot, distribute, and defend NBA caliber 2's (because a large portion of the list are guys with small foward skill sets which we don't need).

What are the thoughts of the board on any of these guys you may be familiar with? Anyone have any names that you feel I am missing?

Anyone else feel like, the absense of High School players will make the draft more interesting and fan friendly?

Hasaan Adams is one guy I am familiar with on my list that I would not be too exstatic to get because of his size and skill set, but right now I think he might be better than Pike or Basden.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Free Agent Solutions 06' Big men
Ben Wallace
Joel Pryzbilla
Kelvin Cato
Al Harrington
Drew Gooden (R)
Chris Wilcox (R)
Nazr Mohammed
Nene (R)
Reggie EVans
Lorenzo Wright
Radmanavic
Van Horn
Melvin Ely (R)
Olowokandi
Tony Battie

FA 06 Wing
David Wesley
Bonzi Wells
Fred Jones (R)
DeShawn Stevenson (PO)

We already have depth and between my draft watch and FA watch my conclusion is we can add a ton of depth but won't land a big name without a trade (old news, I know)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Bulls problems:

1. Too many players who are similiar in what they bring to the court
2. Not enough pure position players at the 2 & 5
3. Not enough size in the front court at the 4
4. Not enough size in the back court at the 2
5. Not enough depth at the 5
6. Not enough players who attack the rim
7. Sweetney the only player with a back to the basket game
8. Not enough experienced big men who know how to stay out
of foul trouble
9. Not enough veteran leadership
10. Streaky shooters
11. Coaching/Management philosophy that sometimes is too "high school" in its attitude toward players

Many of the above problems are the same problems stated a little bit differently like 1/4, 4/6 plus 3/7/8.

Not sure anyone in this year's draft will solve any of the Bulls problems.
First because its a weak draft, and second the team is still very young
and big men who come in usually take some time to develop.

Depending on where the Bulls pick, the picks and a player may be parlayed into a pure position 2, and some depth issues can be solved via free agency at the 4 & 5.

·
Throbbing Member
561 Posts
1) no size inside and at the 2 guard.
2) no stabilizing veteran presence in the locker room.

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
3,012 Posts
The Bulls problem IMO are:
- The Bulls need a consistent scorer who can carry the team offensively every game. It's been very random, some game that guy is Hinrich, sometime it's Nocioni, sometime it's Deng, Gordon, Duhon. It's good to have so many options, but we need at least one player who can score consistently night in night out. Right now, it's still way too random. I see Gordon as the team's best offensive player. But, he hasn't been able to figure out the defense. The team top scorers so far are:
1. Kirk Hinrich: 16.0 ppg .444 FG%
2. Ben Gordon: 14.2 ppg .349 FG%
3. Luol Deng: 13.2 ppg .412 FG%
Now, Hinrich is exactly where he should be. But, Ben and Luol have to get their numbers up. If Ben and Luol don't pick up their shooting, sooner or later Hinrich will start shooting poorly too. Hinrich is not a big time scorer, he won't continue to shoot like that the whole season if other players don't step up. Right now he's been carrying the team offensively. Ben and Luol has to step up or anybody. I say Ben and Luol because they're the guys who I think are the most likely to become top scorers of the team.

- Tyson Chandler is playing subpar. He's not as good as the end of last season. Now, this season he doesn't have AD to bail him out. He's basically the only reliable interior defender we have on the team. the thing is, he hasn't been very reliable. Well, so far he hasn't live up to his contract. But, this is nothing new with Chandler, he always starts slow. I expect him to get better during the course of the season. He can really benefit from having another strong interior defender. Again, I'm going to come up with PJ Brown as one possible solution. If Pax can pull out a trade to bring him to Chicago that would be great. He'd be a great addition. (This idea came up after I'm convinved that AD is not coming back).

- Sweetney not being able to stay on the court for long hurts us. He's our best low post scorer. He needs to keep working on his shape. Well at least his quickness and speed has to improve. I don't want him to lose so many weight, his size and strength is what make him a strong low post scorer. If he can stay in the court longer (and stay off foul trouble) he's going to open up space for our perimeter guys to score. Last year we got Eddy, this year he has to be that guy. Doesn't have to go to him all the time, but just optimize the use of Sweetney.

IMO if we're able to address these three problems above, we should be a far better and more consistent team.

I also have a question since I've only seen one Bulls game so far out of all, how is the Bulls offensive strategy? Did they run play for Gordon? Is the poor shooting as a result of poor offensive strategy or Gordon hasn't been able to hit the shot?

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
View from the outside:

The Bulls have a lot of mismatched talent. However, it is still talent. I think that they have to make a decision in the backcourt. At least one of the PGs need to be moved and ideally it would not be Gordon because he is the only person on the roster that is offensively aggressive.
The Bulls need to get a big combo guard 6'4 or better that can shoot with range and can share the ball handling responsibilites, Joe Johnson would have been ideal and I don't know if a similar player will be available through the draft or as a FA.

The Bulls also need a big physical inside presence that can catch and finish. To hope for one with a polished post game might be a bit much but getting someone young and big would be ideal (Nene).

The great thing is that you guys will have a bunch of assets to get what you need: capspace, Deng, Hinrich, Duhon, Nocioni, Sweetney, and two 2006 1st rounders (hopefully at least one in the lottery) and like 2005, the 2006 draft will get stronger as new Euros emerge and college players breakout.

Players the Bulls should target: Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels, Josh Childress, Flip Murray, Darius Miles and Mike Miller. Probably a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head. As far as post players, I think Nene should still be your #1 FA target. Others to look at would be Robert Swift, Chris Wilcox, Zach Randolph, Carlos Boozer and Andres Biedrens.

Be prepared to overpay this summer either in $$$ or talent to get what your team wants and needs.

Reactions: rosenthall

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The Bulls need a consistent scorer who can carry the team offensively every game.
I agree, which is why i reckon we need to pursue a person like Pierce. I'd be open to trading Deng/Gordon + TT, but i doubt the Celtics want cap space, considering they pulled out on the Nene trade.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I still think signing Al Harrington and Nazr Mohammed and the 2 rookies will put us over the top.

2006 Starting Lineup:
PG: Kirk Hinrich
SG: Ben Gordon
SF: Luol Deng
PF: Tyson Chandler
C: Nazy Mohammed

Key Bench Players:
PG: Chris Duhon
SF/PF: Al Harrington
PF/C: Michael Sweetney
SF: Andres Nocioni

Rest:
1st round pick
1st round pick
SG: Eddie Basden
PF: Darius Songaila
PG: Jannero pargo
2nd round pick/????

That would allow Tyson to go to what seems his more natural position at PF and give us a physical C in Mohammed who showed with the Knicks he can provide some offense too. Also we would still have 3 scorers with Deng, Gordon, and Kirk. Al Harrington would be the first guy off the bench and he can compete for the 6th man award. Probably Nocioni's minutes would go down a lot but he still could get 10-15 minutes and he would make them count. Duhon would come in when the offense isnt clicking because he seems like the player that helps the flow of the offense the best. And than the rookies could be really good especially if their lottery picks... but at the same time they wouldnt really be needed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts