Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sunlight in a distant sky
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We're not going to stop Arenas and Hughes completely ..all we have to do is contain them and stop them from driving

Force them to take it outside , rely on outside J's and risk the passing lanes

We own them inside ... I think Jamison gets pimped by Nocioni and AD and Chandler own Jeffries and Brown

Curry and Harrington over Hayward and Thomas - although I really like Thomas's toughness and also conceding Hayward is a guy that always seems to rise on us

The series is not going to be won on the perimeter .. although Gordon is a matchwinner by himself but it will really be won inside - and its here where I think we own them

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
all i want to know is, When in the hell is Washington ever going to lose a damn game so we can get home court in this series?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
It's almost a lock at this point that we will play Washington. So we need to get home court. We are the second (tied w/ Detriot) best team in the east on the road at 17-18 (as of 4/1), and 9th in the league.

This should be the hyped series of the first round, not only because we are both up and coming young teams or closer in talent than other matchups, but because Eddy punched "hey wood", IN THE NUTS! Larry Hughes also shoved around Kirk, Davis took down Haywood, Haywood swung at Davis, and there was also pushing and shoving between a few other players.

Arenas and Hughes have killed us. A healthy Hinrich, new-found glory, and with almost all of our young players playing their best pro ball of their careers, I think we will show up much stronger than in latter contests.

I am getting ahead of myself, but right now the Bulls would have the hardest road to get to the finals in the east along with the 8 spot playing Washington, Miami, and Detriot all on the road. Right now I'm starting to feel like there's Miami, Detriot, then Chicago when you talk about the east. (damn, I would've been happy just to make the playoffs) :cheers:

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
when's the last time Chicago beat Washington on the road and vice versa,

I think the series will go to seven,

the winner will then get swept by Miami :cry:

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
sboydell said:
when's the last time Chicago beat Washington on the road and vice versa
Chicago beat Washington on the road on April 13, 2005.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
sboydell said:
the winner will then get swept by Miami :cry:
I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Like SausageKing said, the key to the series will be the backcourt. If Duhon/Gordon/Kirk can keep Hughes/Arenas outside then we'll win. If they continue to drive at will then this will be a short series. Kirk and Duhon shooting over 40% would also help our cause.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
sp00k said:
Like SausageKing said, the key to the series will be the backcourt. If Duhon/Gordon/Kirk can keep Hughes/Arenas outside then we'll win. If they continue to drive at will then this will be a short series. Kirk and Duhon shooting over 40% would also help our cause.
The key will be not sending Arenas and Hughes to the line. They didn't shoot that well against us (Arenas 43.1%, Hughes 26.7%) but Arenas averaged 11 FTA and Hughes 14 FTA.

If our guards get beat off the dribble, they will have to have faith in the bigs to pick them up. If Eddy plays good defense in this series, we win. Period.

·
Registered
974 Posts
spongyfungy said:
The key to the series is to limit the turnovers.
There is no doubt that TO's will be the key. I hope our super young team doesnt get tight and t hrow the ball around more than they usually do. We have to keep the TOs around 13-14 and avoid getting into the 20+ range. Also, cant allow Gilbert to reign free all over the court. Have the same strategy we used against lebron and forcing him to hit jumpers.

If the bulls do end up being stuck @ 5, i dont think its the end of hte world. We will start off the series in Washington in hopes of stealing 1 of the first 2 games there. We grab a game over there and we take back home-court advantage.

Just thinking about the first round matchup has me nervous/excited.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Hustle said:
It's almost a lock at this point that we will play Washington. So we need to get home court. We are the second (tied w/ Detriot) best team in the east on the road at 17-18 (as of 4/1), and 9th in the league.

This should be the hyped series of the first round, not only because we are both up and coming young teams or closer in talent than other matchups, but because Eddy punched "hey wood", IN THE NUTS! Larry Hughes also shoved around Kirk, Davis took down Haywood, Haywood swung at Davis, and there was also pushing and shoving between a few other players.

Arenas and Hughes have killed us. A healthy Hinrich, new-found glory, and with almost all of our young players playing their best pro ball of their careers, I think we will show up much stronger than in latter contests.

I am getting ahead of myself, but right now the Bulls would have the hardest road to get to the finals in the east along with the 8 spot playing Washington, Miami, and Detriot all on the road. Right now I'm starting to feel like there's Miami, Detriot, then Chicago when you talk about the east. (damn, I would've been happy just to make the playoffs) :cheers:

Good post, Hustle, I completely agree. We did a poll not too long ago about who is the Bulls' best bet to play in the 1st round...many chose Cleveland or Boston, but I was crazy enough to choose Washington. Why? For starters, they have ZERO playoff experience on that team...the lone exception being Jamison's 1 year w/ Dallas last season. Secondly, if the Bulls only have to worry about shutting down 2 guys (Arenas and Hughes) then we're in good shape to advance. I'm not worried about Washington's bench hurting us, nor am I very worried about their big guys (although Etan Thomas is a beast and is a legitimate concern). Thirdly, Washinton's defense leaves something to be desired, and that helps the Bulls tremendously. I do know one thing, this will be the most interesting 1st round series to watch and I'm thrilled. Who would've thought the AD/Haywood/Curry ball-punch episode would lead to a 4th/5th seed matchup between these 2 teams? I'm loving it!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Some interesting things-

Chris Duhons Duke team beat Arenas's Arizona team in the National Championship game.

Steve Blake/Juan Dixon beat Kirk Hinrich's Arizona team in the final 4.

Jared Jeffries Indiana team beat Chris Duhons Duke team in the final 4

So alot of these guys are familiar with each other.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Shanghai Kid said:
Some interesting things-

Chris Duhons Duke team beat Arenas's Arizona team in the National Championship game.

Steve Blake/Juan Dixon beat Kirk Hinrich's Arizona team in the final 4.

Jared Jeffries Indiana team beat Chris Duhons Duke team in the final 4

So alot of these guys are familiar with each other.
Not to detract from your point, but just a quick correction:

Kirk Hinrich, of course, played for KU, and Jared Jeffries met Chris Duhon in the regional semifinal.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
thebac said:
Not to detract from your point, but just a quick correction:

Kirk Hinrich, of course, played for KU, and Jared Jeffries met Chris Duhon in the regional semifinal.
Ah, my bad, but yeah the point remains.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
El Chapu said:
I doubt it.
I'm pretty sure Miami will sweep the winner of this series, I'm not a Heat fan and I have nothing against the Bulls or Wizards (I like both teams a lot) but they just own this conference (except the Pacers) plus they're undefeated vs. The Bulls and Wizards when Shaq/Wade are both healthy and come playoff time I don't think anyone will have an answer for Shaq I think he's going turn it up big time(just a personal feeling)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Slashing guards have for a while been the bane for the bulls. Keeping Arenas and Hughes in check is the key to this series. I quite confident we will be able to score enough points to win if things are going decently for us at the other end of the floor. One other point though, probably the most important. A healthy Hinrich, Deng and Curry is more important than any of the other stuff. I appreciate we are winning now with injuries, but thats just going to make us stronger when everyone gets back.

PLAYOFFS baby. Possible homecourt advantage. what the? is this really 2005?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts