Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BasketballBoards Fat Cat
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ESPN.com just put up a column featuring the Bulls in their tour around NBA training camps. It's a nice, well-balanced article by David Aldridge. It's got some old quotes, but some new as well. Some points of interest:

"So," Bill Cartwright says as he walks over to you, "how many wins you got us down for? Sixty? Sixty-one?"

We would be less than honest if we'd put half that many Ws in Chicagoland's column this season. For, although the Bulls finally have some stability after three years of disappointments and turnover, they're still years away from competing in the Eastern Conference. But at least with Cartwright firmly in charge, the Bulls have a head coach that players respect and that has a plan.
The Bulls should have stability this season. They likely won't fire their coach or make a midseason deal this year that changes half the roster. And for the first time since the end of the Jordan Era, just about all of the players in Chicago's camp actually want to be there. Jay Williams embraced going to the Bulls instead of trying to force a trade before the draft. Donyell Marshall took less money to play here than stay with the Jazz. And even those who would rather be competing for a title somewhere like Jalen Rose understand that they have a role to play, and are willing to play it.
"We don't have a guy out here that's going to get 10 free throws a game," Cartwright said. "We're not developed yet, so we don't have a Karl Malone or an Allen Iverson. Whatever we get, we're going to have to earn ... we're going to guard somebody this year. That's our focus in this camp. We're going to be the Chicago Bulls. When you think of the Chicago Bulls, what do you think of? You think of a tough, hard-nosed basketball team. We're not going to complain to the officials and cry about calls. We're going to be the team that gets up, pressures, dives on the floor and plays tough basketball."
Aldridge didn't make a straight-up prediction... but his opening lines indicate he thinks the Bulls will struggle to hit 30 wins. I guess I just have a little more optimism than him.

·
BasketballBoards Fat Cat
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ooh, just found two more new articles on ESPN.com.

Season of reckoning comes for Krause is the newest dandy by our favorite Sam Smith. He basically re-hashes everything we already know about Krause's rebuilding plan(s).

Either Krause has put together one of the great pro sports building projects of all time and created a model for future rebuilding, or he's buried what was becoming one of the elite franchises in American sports.
Smith goes on to call the Brand-for-Chandler trade "the biggest risk since the Philadelphia 76ers traded Charles Barkley."

Finally, there's another short piece by David Aldridge.

Williams is ahead right now, but Chicago isn't ready to bail on Crawford. "Getting Jay is huge, getting him in here," head coach Bill Cartwright said. "But you know what? Jamal's playing pretty damn good, too."
I find it a little hard to believe that Williams is already ahead of Crawford, but then again, I don't write for ESPN...

Cartwright's voice, affected when he got an elbow to the throat in his last season as a player in 1994, is still soft, but it appears to be much fuller than it was when he took over as head coach last season. The Bulls' practice is unlike any other in the league. When Cartwright stops play to make a teaching point, everything stops. But you can literally hear him across the floor, and he's not speaking above a whisper.
That's cool. :cool:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Really good articles althought the die-hard posters on this board will not learn too much new......

I hope that Chandler and Curry just pin-up these articles and use them for motivation.

Glad to hear that Cartwright described as DA MAN.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Cartwright is a winner!

Cartwright is doing the right stuff. He stresses defense and gets respect from his players. I admit Krause has given him a much more interesting team then Tim Floyd had but I think Cartwright will do much better. Hey, he does not even have a Charles Oakley complaining to everyone within earshot. I think this team will bond under Cartwright, play hard, and suprise a lot of people. 25 or 30 wins can happen.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Re: Cartwright is a winner!

Originally posted by <b>Fergus</b>!
I think this team will bond under Cartwright, play hard, and suprise a lot of people. 25 or 30 wins can happen.

Saying 25 wins can happen is not exactly going out on a limb, Fergus. That wouldn't be much of a surprise in light of how they closed the season last year. They will probably get out of the gate slow, the early schedule is a killer. However, I think most fans are expecting about 30 wins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts