Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tom Thibodeau knew the question was coming.

Did seeing the bumps and bruises Ronnie Brewer and Joakim Noah took against the New York Knicks change his line of thinking at all, heading into the regular-season finale against an awful New Jersey Nets team?

"Bumps and bruises," Thibodeau said disgustedly. "I didn't see any of them. This is NBA, come on."

Thibodeau knows what a lot of fans out there want him to do. They want him to sit Derrick Rose, Luol Deng and Noah, among others, so that they don't get injured heading into the playoffs. They don't want to take any risk because so much is dependent on the Bulls being healthy for what could be a long ride in the playoffs. Thibodeau doesn't care, though. He doesn't see it as a risk to send those players out on the floor after already clinching the No. 1 seed in the East. He doesn't see it as a risk to play Deng 44 minutes, as he did on Tuesday night. He doesn't see it as a risk because the Bulls are still chasing the San Antonio Spurs for the best record in the league. Most of all, he doesn't see it as a risk because he knows the pulse of his team better than anyone.
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post/_/id/4235/thibs-not-worrying-about-bumps-and-bruises

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Thibs has earned the right to make that call. I personally disagree with it, but understand that he wants his guys to stay sharp and play to win.

He just better realize the heat he'll get if anything happens in this final game. He already had Noah and Brewer back on the trainer's table.

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
Brewer actually thought he initially broke something, which wasn't a good sign, but the MRI came back negative.

They're both fine, though.

I would like to see a significant decrease in minutes, today, however.

·
Remember My Name
5,229 Posts
i'd be pissed as a fan if i had paid 100$ for a ticket and not get to see drose. or just watch the bench players.

also their is no guarantee, they could also get injured in the first round, first game of the playoffs..

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Jeff Van Gundy on ESPN 1000 said that game time rest is one of the most overrated concepts in the NBA, Tom Thibs was an assistant on Vangundy's Knick team so I'm not surprised that Tom feels the same way. I even mentioned in another thread that if you look back to the 90's this whole gametime rest thing was not really even an issue, especially with the Championship Bulls teams. Jordan even at 33 played 40 minutes in meaningless games late in the season.

Like I said also, its all about the money, athletes are being paid SOOOO much more today than in the past that they are investments more so than anything else. There is just no guarantee either that Rose or Noah wont get injured 5 minutes into the Pacers game on Saturday, they are young and they are playing Basketball not Football or Hockey.

·
Ethical Hacker
485 Posts
How exactly does sitting the starters really help? I believe it would actually hinder us in this case. I don't want this team coming out rusty for their first round series. Unless, you're a championship contender that's been deep in the postseason, there's no real reason to rest them. It's fine for the Lakers/Celts/Spurs, et cetera to rest their players. They've been to the show, they know what lies ahead. The Bulls are a young squad, and I think they benefit from the more time they have on the floor together (considering how much time some of our players have missed). And, so far this team has done well no matter who was on IR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts