Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Vin Baker is back with the Celtics for now since being suspended for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, Boston is shopping him. They're not operating quite as cold-heartedly as that might sound. If they can't make a reasonable deal by the Feb. 19 trade deadline, a league source says, they are willing to buy out his contract if that facilitates him joining a new team. ...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=bucher_ric&id=1713537

Is this what Danny meant by Hunter is close to seeing real playing time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
Didn't I read that they had a 3 strike clause in their contract with Vinny?
What is the point of a 3 strikes and your out claus in your contract if your going to sell the guy down the river at the first sign of trouble.
I was reading a message board the other day and someones signature said
Celtics Pride is dead.
It certainly is for me. This team has no loyalty to anyone.
Vinny deserves that chance to play this game and had one problem. He took the consequences and now is being sold down the river for it.
Great way to run a business.


I never thought I would miss Paul Gaston but you have to give that man some credit. He did a lot wrong but he also signed the deserving players to contracts and he tried to do right by bringing in Rick Pitino (Wasn't that deal 50 million. For a owner who everyone called cheap I don't find that the case. He tried to improve this team even if he made the wrong decision):no:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,849 Posts
Well you can go either way on this one. True, it's a tough time and the clauses mean nothing if we are going to shop him when there's trouble, but on the flip-side this isn'T the first time, he is a multiple offender and there is no way in hell he is going to be given a chance now. I am not taking sides, just exploring the idea. I dunno which side to take, I mean he has screwed up and is distracting the team and taking SOME time away from young guys, but on the flip-side he isn"T getting much time in the first place and no plays run for him, but the most important is that he's a human being and needs to get himself together and healthy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
If Vinny has a 3 strike clause in his contract like has been stated then the Celtics don't have any loyalty.

This is strike one since he made the deal to get clean.

Sorry but doesn't this team have any compassion?
Vin showed what he can do when he isn't Drinking and he deserves the chance to show that now.


Celtics Pride used to mean something. Now a days Celtics Pride is a myth. Anyone under the age of 30 doesn't remember what true Celtics pride means.
You might have seen traces of it but full fledged Celtics Pride really is dead (My mello dramatic post is over.lol)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>lastlaugh</b>!
If Vinny has a 3 strike clause in his contract like has been stated then the Celtics don't have any loyalty.

This is strike one since he made the deal to get clean.

Sorry but doesn't this team have any compassion?
Vin showed what he can do when he isn't Drinking and he deserves the chance to show that now.


Celtics Pride used to mean something. Now a days Celtics Pride is a myth. Anyone under the age of 30 doesn't remember what true Celtics pride means.
You might have seen traces of it but full fledged Celtics Pride really is dead






I am under 30, but I still am proud and "practice" "Celtic Pride." And it is tough living in NY lemme tell you, I get hassled aLot, but Vinny is in a tough situation and he deserves another chance, but it has just come to the point where he has two strikes and it's a tough spot, we shud be loyal to him, but can we really keep taking chances when we need to re-build?

(My mello dramatic post is over.lol)
LoL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Disagree

Baker has been given a couple of chances... And is just not working out. I supported the Baker trade when it happened, but now I'm always paying attention to when Baker's contract expires. What's the difference between trading Baker and buying him out so he can sign with another team (in terms of a chance for baker)? Maybe a new situation will do him good, but for now, what we have here is not working. If Baker fails again will be strike three and his contract will be voided.

Even when he was doing his thing early in the season, I didn't see Baker as a part of the team Ainge wanted.

I'd rather have Grant Long playing PF.

Don't take it personally Baker, It's just not working out for neither...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,722 Posts
Re: Disagree

Originally posted by <b>el_raulin</b>!
What's the difference between trading Baker and buying him out so he can sign with another team (in terms of a chance for baker)?
It frees up a roster spot, and probably saves money, since they won't buy him out for anything close to the full contract amount. There is too much chance that he will screw up again, and if so, the team might win in arbitration. Even if they lose, the worst case is that they will have to pay him out plus legal and arbitration fees.

On the other side, if Vinnie's advisors think he may fall off the wagon again, it might be in Vin's best interests to accept a structured settlement spread out over 10+ years rather than risk having the arbitrator rule in the team's favor.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,261 Posts
If we buy him out, he still counts against our salary cap number. I'd rather just keep him and let him sit and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
Originally posted by <b>lastlaugh</b>!
If Vinny has a 3 strike clause in his contract like has been stated then the Celtics don't have any loyalty.

This is strike one since he made the deal to get clean.
Actually, it's strike two. Strike one was just a fine that wasn't publicized. Strike two was his suspension which obviously couldn't be hidden. He's actually been given a lot of chances and a lot of support. While on the one hand, he has a very serious disease, and it must be very hard for him. On the other hand, his disease is interfering with the job he is paid to do. The Celtics are spending millions of dollars and getting nothing in return. I, for one, don't have a lot of faith that he'll make a second comeback. If he can't follow through with his rehab program when he's happy and playing well, then when would he?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mrsister</b>!


Actually, it's strike two. Strike one was just a fine that wasn't publicized. Strike two was his suspension which obviously couldn't be hidden. He's actually been given a lot of chances and a lot of support. While on the one hand, he has a very serious disease, and it must be very hard for him. On the other hand, his disease is interfering with the job he is paid to do. The Celtics are spending millions of dollars and getting nothing in return. I, for one, don't have a lot of faith that he'll make a second comeback. If he can't follow through with his rehab program when he's happy and playing well, then when would he?






Strike 3, he's out :-/
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1716523
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!
If we buy him out, he still counts against our salary cap number. I'd rather just keep him and let him sit and see what happens.
If he counts against the salary cap no matter what with all the legal issues etc, id would say yes. I see the wisdom of having him around in case he recovers if we dont have to pay him.. And just wait the contract out..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,261 Posts
Originally posted by <b>voice of reality</b>!


If he counts against the salary cap no matter what with all the legal issues etc, id would say yes. I see the wisdom of having him around in case he recovers if we dont have to pay him.. And just wait the contract out..
Additionally, if we let him go and sever all ties with him for no actual gain, we'd look like a real ****ty organization for leaving a guy with a problem out in the cold like that when we can supply the resources to help him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Richie Rich</b>!








Strike 3, he's out :-/
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1716523
I read it on the herald or the globe, that another strike is required to terminate Baker's contract. That is, 10 more games suspended or one more alcohol violation (or that he refuses to test).

But basically everybody is expecting that he won't continue with the C's.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top