Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font face="Trebuchet MS">There are few things that are more special than the bond between a father and his eldest son; it is a connection that runs deep and comes from the heart. It should last for decades and decades, survive the inevitable differences that arise, and give each joy and comfort.

At 11 years old, after spending so much time with him, thinking of following his ophthalmologist father's professional footsteps and figuring he'd have a friend for life, Roger Mason Jr. had that bond broken, his father ripped from his life by a fatal kidney disease.

It was a time when the youngster could have drifted into any number of life-ruining teenage pursuits, become bitter about the loss of one of his closest friends and most important mentor.

He could easily have dismissed the first 11 years in his life as a tease, something he loved but would have to live without. He could have relegated the memory of his father to the farthest reaches of his mind... READ MORE..

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Interesting Mini-Biography. After reading that, I still wonder how he was able to make the NBA, despite his downfalls in life.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>Mattsanity</b>!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Interesting Mini-Biography. After reading that, I still wonder how he was able to make the NBA, despite his downfalls in life.
Props to you Matt, you are the only one that actually read and commented on this excellent article on Mason.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mattsanity</b>!
Whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger.

It may be a cliche, but I think it is true a lot of times in life. Juan Dixon had both parents die of AIDS, Roger Mason Jr. had his father die, etc. It's players like this that I admire most. I think, in the same situation, I would be a wreck and never realize my dreams.

Just a side note: I had a friend in high school named Roger Mason. But he was white, and didn't like basketball...

·
Registered
603 Posts
A lot of players have had childhood troubles, and I think it may motivate them even more to do well. Amare Stoudemire's dad died when he was 12, his brother is in prison and his mom has been in prison several times for drug related charges. Caron butler had some issues as a child also. He spent a yr in juvy for possesion of coke and weapons, and he got some girl pregnant when he was 15...I think they decided to get married though, or they are already married. And there's Larry Bird who's dad committed suicide when he was like 19. There are a lot more players who had it rough as a kid, but they seem to get through it all. I agree with whatever don't kill you can only make you stronger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts