Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cameron Maybin was once Baseball America's Youth Player of the Year. Now after a long contract holdout last fall he is a Detroit Tigers farmhand. After being drafted in the first round it took a sharp scolding from his father to get him to sign a contract and become a Detroit Tiger. After looking at the way the big league club has progressed since last season, we can bet he's happy his father took him over his knee...

As for our thoughts? We as Tigers fans have to be happy as well that Cam's father did what he did, because he's right now the hottest hitting prospect in our minor league system, with five-tool talents reminiscent of Curtis Granderson... with more speed.

.330AVG/.409OBP/.510SLG
72B/43B/1HR
15R/19RBI
6SB/1CS​
He's currently a part of the Whitecaps in Class-A ball, and on the DL for at least another two weeks with a right index finger injury, but I can see him coming back and dominating, looking for that late season callup!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Cameron Maybin is going to be in the futures game and so is Humberto Sanchez a pitcher that is tearing up AAA right now.

The 2006 Futures Game is held at PNC Park in Pittsburgh on All-Star Sunday and will be broadcast live at 4 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Checking Out Maybin

Low Class A West Michigan got a surprise last night when Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski decided to pop in for a visit. It was his first chance to check out Cameron Maybin, the Tigers first-round pick in 2005 and he had to be pleased by what he saw.

The outfielder from Asheville, N.C. went 2-for-4 with two stolen bases in helping West Michigan defeat Lansing 5-1. He is now hitting .309/.409/.470 with 15 stolen bases in 17 attempts.

"I had a pretty good night. (Dombrowski) had a chance to see what I can do," the 19-year-old Maybin told the Grand Rapids Press.

Maybin was not the only Whitecap to impress Dombrowski. Leftfielder Justin Justice went 3-for-4 with a three-run homer while righthander Sendy Vasquez threw six shutout innings to get the win and improve his record to 6-6, 3.02.

"I was impressed with the way a lot of guys went about their business tonight," manager Matt Walbeck told the paper. "That's the kind of stuff you want to see from your players when the general manager is in town."
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/news/261876.html

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I am interested with how the tigers plan on moving Maybin through the minors. Right now he is doing real well in low A ball. I wonder if he is moved up to high A ball (lakeland) before the season is over. At the very least I would assume he starts next season in Lakeland but probably AA (Erie). If he has success at AA next year I wouldn't be suprised if he was a september call up in 07 and then full time with the big club in 08. I would think that is the best case scenario if he continues to improve and stays injury free.

·
Registered
855 Posts
he definitly has the look of our centerfielder for the next 15 years or so, and by the time he is ready, we can just move granderson to one of the corner spots.

this organization has a really bright future, i cant imagine any clubs that have this many high level young pitching prospects

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At Present Cameron Maybin is holding a .317/.404/.481 line. He has 22SB/2CS to go along with 5HR and 5 triples (I wanted to put 53B but that looks odd...). With 80K to 35BB he obviously still has a developing eye for the strike zone, but I'd look for that to improve with progression through the professional levels. His ability to run the bases puts him miles ahead of Curtis Granderson as our leadoff hitter of the future.

I can imagine a lineup in two years with Maybin sliding comfortably in the leadoff slot and Granderson dropping down to number three in the order (Marcus Thames hitting 40HR a year in cleanup anybody? Granderson's OBP says he needs to be at three ahead of four and his power says second in the order is too high).

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Maybin is handling himself quite well in the Big League Spring Training camp. It isn't out of the question now that he may see a few atbats in the majors this season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts