Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching the poaching occur to the WAC and there being real questions as to whether or not it can or will survive as a Division I conference, I was just kinda thinking about the situation we have here in the Northeast. Discounting the Ivy League, this is what we have for lower level D-I leagues in our region (New England/NY/NJ/PA/DE/MD):

1. AMERICA EAST
2. NEC
3. MAAC
4. Patriot
5. CAA
6. MEAC

Don't think I'm forgetting any (purposely left off A-10 as they aren't lower level)...obviously, the concern is whether or not the AEast will survive. Looks like the Patriot will be fine and is on solid ground and doesn't look like there is too much interest in anybody poaching schools from the MAAC so maybe they are safe. Seems like there are some scenarios where the survival of a few of these leagues may be in question...

If the AEast raided a few teams from the NEC, could they survive or would they then have others defecting for something else? Not sure where some of them would go, but who knows...

Anyway...do we even need all these leagues?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The last league to "die" in our region was the old East Coast Conference. CCSU and UMBC fans share that misery.

I think the NEC is stable because they have 12 members. Worst case scenario, they lose 5 schools (which I think is extremly unlikey). Even then, they can add NJIT and be back at 8.

I say the AE is in the worst spot because it is so small (just 8 members now), but I still think the league will survive (although it may lose AQs in other sports)

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Yes, they will survive, in what way/shape/form, who knows.

As long as conferences have an autobid to the big dance, they will be able to attract members.

Do we need all of these leagues - no. Are they going away - probably not.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This could be comparable to the Big East in the end, but on a smaller scale. Schools bailing out first find the best spots, such as WVU. If I'm UVM I start cozying up to the MAAC. That's a bunch of privates, but they don't play football, so there are some equalities. The NEC is mostly privates too, but Central seems to work out ok. Sitting back and waiting will have the AE schools with panties in a bunch like UCONN who wants to jump to the ACC with Pitt and Syracuse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts