Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a list of all the acquisitions under the new Magic GM, I would appreciate it greatly, thanks.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Drafted D. Howard 1st, Varejao 30th, and Burks 36th
Sold Burks to Memphis
Traded Washington's 1st for Nelson
Traded McGrady, J. Howard, Lue, Gaines for Francis, Mobley, Cato
Signed Augmon to a 2 year deal at the vet's min (TO on 2nd year)
Signed Turkoglu to a 6 year deal at the full MLE
Signed Bradley to 1 year deal at min
Signed Kasun to 2 year deal at min (TO on 2nd year)
Resigned Stevenson to a 3 year $8.5 million deal
Traded Gooden, S. Hunter, and Varejao for Battie and 2 2nds (2005, 2007)
Traded Bogans for B. Hunter
Traded Mobley, Bradley for Christie

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
See he hasnt been at all that bad..he did a couple of good things and then turned around and screwed up the situations...

I love drafting Howard and Varajaeo

I love trading a #1 for Nelson

I am even ok with the T-mac trade..but,..

I dont think he should of traded Mobley for Christie

HE DEFINITLY SHOULDN'T of traded Bogans for Brandon Hunter just because bogans is a much better player and he could of atleast gotten a little more

I like the Kasun signing

I despise the Gooden trade...they should of tryed to Package Gooden with Francis and made a run at J-Kidd

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I don't mind the Gooden trade if we don't give up Varejao in the deal. That is one of the moves I now disagree with. Orlando should have been able to get Battie without also giving up Varejao.

The other thing I still disagree with was letting Zaza Pachulia go for nothing. Zaza is nothing special, but he is tough as nails and has a real mean streak, something Orlando could really used from a big guy off the bench.

And I still would have preferred not re-signing Stevenson over trading Bogans.

I don't mind the Mobley / Christie trade so much because A/ if Christie were healthy he could have helped (though we should have known he wasn't) and B/ Orlando wasn't going to re-sign Mobley and Christie's contract will become a good trade commodity this summer.

It is too bad there aren't a lot of premier SGs that could be available. Orlando could offer Steve Francis, Christie's 8 million dollar expiring contract, and a lottery pick (maybe) to get one.

As early as next year, our roster could have looked something like

PG Francis / Nelson
SG Christie / Bogans / Gerald Green
SF Hill / Hedo
PF Dwight / Varejao
C Cato / Battie / Zaza

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
I didn't really like giving up Pachulia for nothing at first (and I still don't), but I thought about this the other day -- how much better is Pachulia really than Mario Kasun? Is the difference in Zaza and Mario ever going to be big enough to make letting Zaza go for nothing look like a horrible move? I don't think so. It's only the 3rd string center spot for now, I think Kasun is a better rebounder and defender than Zaza, while he isn't as smart, doesn't provide then energy off the bench that Zaza does, and doesn't have as developed of an offensive game as Zaza. My point is that I don't think the Magic have really missed Zaza all that much this year, and I doubt they ever will. I did like him a lot though, he was fun to watch.

I also don't mind the Hunter/Bogans trade nearly as much as other people either. Let's be honest here, Bogans wasn't going to play much for the Magic this season anyway. Keith was already unhappy about his situation going into the year, I doubt his attitude would've improved as he played very little. His contract is up after the year, after this year where would no doubt be frustrated and disgruntled he'd leave to go somewhere else anyway. So to recap, he wouldn't contribute much this season and was gone after this summer anyway. So what really did the Magic lose? Besides which, Bogans isn't even that great of a player. He's playing about 1 minute per game less this year than he did last season with the Magic, and isn't doing much with his playing time to be honest. Sure his scoring is up from 6.8 ppg to 9.1, but his shooting percentage is just a paltry 37.4% from the floor. His rebounding is down from 4.3 to 3.2, his turnovers are up and he hasn't been putting forth the effort on defense this year (from what I've seen and heard) as he did last year. He's an OK player, but he deserves to be at best a backup playing 16-18 minutes a night, nothing more. Hunter isn't anything special either obviously, he's not even the player that Bogans is. But he's a bigger body, a guy to bang down low and rebound the ball when given the chance. More importantly he's not going to complain about his playing time and possibly cause a distraction on the team.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
hobojoe said:
I didn't really like giving up Pachulia for nothing at first (and I still don't), but I thought about this the other day -- how much better is Pachulia really than Mario Kasun? Is the difference in Zaza and Mario ever going to be big enough to make letting Zaza go for nothing look like a horrible move? I don't think so. It's only the 3rd string center spot for now, I think Kasun is a better rebounder and defender than Zaza, while he isn't as smart, doesn't provide then energy off the bench that Zaza does, and doesn't have as developed of an offensive game as Zaza. My point is that I don't think the Magic have really missed Zaza all that much this year, and I doubt they ever will. I did like him a lot though, he was fun to watch.
I disagree. I think Zaza would be much more valuable than Kasun to us, this season and into the future. Zaza IMO brings more toughness and energy on the court and even at 19 yrs old last season never looked as lost on the court as Kasun has at times. IMO he's already quite a bit better than Kasun and is a good bit younger. But Zaza brought a raw energy most of the time, something Kasun doesn't really do. Hell, I'd say Zaza was easily the toughest guy on Orlando's team last year as a 19 yr old foreign rookie.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
JNice said:
I disagree. I think Zaza would be much more valuable than Kasun to us, this season and into the future. Zaza IMO brings more toughness and energy on the court and even at 19 yrs old last season never looked as lost on the court as Kasun has at times. IMO he's already quite a bit better than Kasun and is a good bit younger. But Zaza brought a raw energy most of the time, something Kasun doesn't really do. Hell, I'd say Zaza was easily the toughest guy on Orlando's team last year as a 19 yr old foreign rookie.
But my point is how much of a difference would he really make on the team getting playing time over Kasun as a 3rd string center? Not much in my opinion. We shouldn't have given him up, that's for sure, but I don't think it really hurt the Magic all that much now or in the long run considering the role he would be playing and the one Kasun is playing on the team this year. It's just not that big of a difference.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Hobojoe's right about Pachulia and Bogans. They would have made a slight difference, but they aren't players to really get all uppity about. Varejao yes, but if it succeeded in getting Gooden out, so that's fair enough. The biggest gaff is still by and far, alienating and then trading away Tracy McGrady. That's a GM cardinal sin. You don't trade away top 5 talent. Teams look years for that player, and we had him, at only 24 with years more of prime performance. Why? Why? Why?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts