Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not going to ask if he can be Brady/Rodgers/Brees/Manning, but how good can he really be? Can he be a top 5-7 QB in the league? It's hard to feel good about saying that given the influx of talented youngsters like Luck, Wilson, and Griffin...not to mention guys like Ryan and Flacco playing well in big playoff games. But even taking all of that into consideration, he's got all the physical tools to be a high level QB, he has a dominant number one WR, he has a dynamic RB (a solid stable of RB's in general), and they just signed a new head coach with a track record of successful QB's.

I feel like there's a chance that he can, especially if they fortify that line a little bit, but I don't think it's something I would bank on. Top 10 is probably more realistic, though I do think in a perfect scenario he could be a top 5-7 QB.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Given equal running games and equal offensive lines, I feel like he is already the 6th best QB in the NFL.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's your top 10 look like? I have a hard time seeing him that high.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
He can win a Super Bowl, but he wouldn't be one of the major reasons. He'd mostly be along for the ride. He'll be 30 next season, Cutler is who he's been.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
He isn't this year, but he could be a Top 10 QB in the right situation. The problem is to be a Top 5 QB in the NFL right now probably means you're an eventual Hall of Famer. Not a knock.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Cutler will make the most amazing pass you've ever seen in your life, and then the next throw will be the dumbest decision ever. I'm thinking he will really benefit from Trestman but I can't see him ever becoming an elite quarterback.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I guess my point would be that you would say the same thing about Bret Favre when he was in the league...but he was a no brainer HOFer. So its a balance between the good and the bad, but Cutler is just bad too often.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Cutler is your classic double edged sword. Dude can be the best player for either team on a given day. I don't know that he has the mental acuity to be any better tbh. He just is what he is, pretty much like a worse version of Favre who gambles too much.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
people get fogged down about brett due to some bad seasons in his late thirties and early fortieswhen favre was in his prime he was throwing 3 times as many touch downs as interceptions...i hear the favre thing all the time with cutler and cutler was never as good as even a 40 year old favre.. with that being said i think cutler can win with the right pieces in place but i think you can say that about alot of guys..alex smith went from being an absolute bum to the nfc championship game once the niners run game, offensive line developed.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
people get fogged down about brett due to some bad seasons in his late thirties and early fortieswhen favre was in his prime he was throwing 3 times as many touch downs as interceptions...i hear the favre thing all the time with cutler and cutler was never as good as even a 40 year old favre.. with that being said i think cutler can win with the right pieces in place but i think you can say that about alot of guys..alex smith went from being an absolute bum to the nfc championship game once the niners run game, offensive line developed.
Favre was never afraid to sling it but he had quite a few seasons with very low amount of interceptions. There are some similarites between Cutler and him, but not many.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Favre was MVP of the league 3 years in a row. Cutler hasn't had an MVP worthy season in a vacuum even if you don't compare him to his peers.

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
Cutler is a poor man's Brett Favre. Thing is, the real Brett Favre, on top of all of his records and achievements, is the record holder for interceptions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts