Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy's looking for a big contract. His stats & offensive productivity have dramatically risen this year w/ the Raps. He just scored 37 pts on the Knicks. I think the knock on him will be that he's on a losing team & that he's too old. He's turning 31 later this year & players that far along in their careers don't usually win Most Improved Player. I think since the 'losing team' excuse does not affect candidacy for Most Improved Player as much as say the MVP, David West & Mike James have to be the frontrunners. CB4 is another Raptor that has significantly improved but a lot of people kind of expected him to grow as much & as fast as he has bearing in mind the load he had to carry ever since Carter was traded & that is the 20-10-ish type of player that he is.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I was gonna post this exact thing, I saw him on NBA TV last night and I just saw that he averages 19 and 6 on the season. I don't think there is even an arguement as to if he should be the MIP. He's lit it up this season and other than that horrendous start, the Raptors have been playing .500 ball since.

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
Boris Diaw.

·
Tru Warier
13,652 Posts
Mike James > Marbury and Francis :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fruitcake said:
Boris Diaw.
Yes. Another very worthy candidate. Can't believe I forgot to mention him in my initial post. Boris' play this season definitely makes a good case for himself.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
arenas809 said:
End of thread.

James isn't doing anything different than Damon Jones or Antonio Daniels did last year, but at least they had good years on decent teams.
Huh? Damon Jones & Antonio Daniels averaged 19 ppg? Damon Jones had a nice year w/ the Bucks the yr before he played for Miami & his stats didn't exactly improve a lot last year except for draining a ****load of 3s. His assist numbers dropped significantly from the previous yr. To win Most Improved there has to be a noticeable increase in almost every statistical category.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mike James is having a great year. Boris Diaw finally found a team that uses him to his strengths. My vote would have to go to Tony Parker though. He went from second tier pg to elite pg in one season. He is even more aggressive and has a greatly improved jumper. He also has carried the Spurs to the best record in the west with Duncan and Manu being injured.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
neoxsupreme said:
Huh? Damon Jones & Antonio Daniels averaged 19 ppg? Damon Jones had a nice year w/ the Bucks the yr before he played for Miami & his stats didn't exactly improve a lot last year except for draining a ****load of 3s. His assist numbers dropped significantly from the previous yr. To win Most Improved there has to be a noticeable increase in almost every statistical category.
I just mean in terms of having good years in contract years, Mike James has always been a good, scoring PG, now he's on a team where he's able to be a big scorer, because the team is a bad one.

How many other teams in this league would James start for?

The answer to this thread has already been given, Boris Diaw.

He's a young kid who was considered trash on the Hawks, and now he's being considered a future all-star, a guy who's the posterboy for a new breed of players that are multi-talented and can play mulitple positions, he'll win the award hands down, it's not going to a journeyman putting up numbers on a crap team.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
arenas809 said:
I just mean in terms of having good years in contract years, Mike James has always been a good, scoring PG, now he's on a team where he's able to be a big scorer, because the team is a bad one.

How many other teams in this league would James start for?

The answer to this thread has already been given, Boris Diaw.

He's a young kid who was considered trash on the Hawks, and now he's being considered a future all-star, a guy who's the posterboy for a new breed of players that are multi-talented and can play mulitple positions, he'll win the award hands down, it's not going to a journeyman putting up numbers on a crap team.
I understand now. Glad we have that settled. I wouldn't have a problem w/ Boris winning it. I fell in love w/ Boris' all-around game this yr. Phoenix is the perfect situation for him. I wasn't making any sure bets that James will win the MIP either. Boris slipped my mind which I scold myself for. I just wanted the ppl on this forum to take notice of the big year James is having & ask what his chances would be of winning the award.

·
just foul
6,900 Posts
I think Diaw has made the most dramatic improvement. The guy went from warming the pine on a cellar-dweller to being a nighly triple-double threat and major component of an elite team.

I would put David West second, and probably Mike James third. I think people knew James could be an offensive force before, he just has carte blanche in Toronto.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
notting_hill said:
the team record will play an important role here, without Amare , we see how Phoenix keeps on playing thanks to the Diaw, he will surely get it withouy any question...
My thought is the same. Diaw basically replaced Amare and helped Phx become an elite team. Diaw was a bench player on one of the worst teams in NBA. I think he's made enough improvement this year to get the award.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Boris Diaw is not the most improved player.

Statistically speaking maybe, but the only difference in his game from last year to this year is he is being used correctly. It's kind of a cop out to just look at whose numbers have increased the most because they are getting more minutes.

Mike James has improved dramatically - as in - has actually become a better player. Doing things he couldn't do last year or at any other point in his career. Tony Parker is in this category as well. So is Elton Brand and Carmelo Anthony.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Everyone Knew Mike James Cud Be A Great Player, He Juss Didn't Get Any Minutes!

I Say Diaw Is Gon Win It.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.