Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Can The Grizzlies Make The Play-offs This Season?

• Yes

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 73.9%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Spartanfan, I'm one of the few who thinks that they can. If the new guys can come in and adjust to Sidney's coaching scheme, and all the players can gel together quickly, I think the Grizzlies can be suprising to alot of nay-sayers. I know that we're in the toughest division, but I still think they're capable of accomplishing such a great feat.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
We all know there will be 1 maybe 2 spots available in the West.

Sonics
Jazz
Clippers
Phoinex
Houston

Will all probably be fighting for the spot(s). I'm still not sure the Grizz have made enough improvements to actually stay floating around those team's records. We all know that we are a very young team so I really doubt we are Playoff bound yet.

We will atleast need to be 3 games over .500 to have a chance at that last spot and I really doubt we have improved that much from last season to have that kind of record.

I personally will be very happy with a 35 win season

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just being in a position to fight for a playoff spot would be huge. However, I'm not too greedy, I just want some showing improvement. Hopefully a 32-35 win season with some close games at the end that go our way this year. Next season (2003-04) I may answer this question much differently, but for now 32-35 W's it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think they have a pretty good shot at 35+ games.
I watched most of the games on Directtv last year and went to both Clipper games and 1 Laker game. The second 1/2 of the season they were a much better team and I believe they would win 30 games next year with no changes, just from being together and the further development of Pau and Shane.
They would have easily won 25-27 last year, but if you remember, I think it was about the last 2 weeks of the season, Jason and Pau (especially Jason) got limited minutes. Im sure this was to get a look at the other players who might be on the bubble for the upcoming year. The last Clipper game we went to here, the grizz looked like a better team than the Clips when all the starters were in , but Pau and Jason took off most of the second half and the Clippers came from behind to beat them. I know this is just 1 game but it happened a few times that last month. With the additions they have made I think 35 is definitely
within reach.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I would be satisfied to see the Grizz win 29-33 games next season but I just don't see them winning much more than that.

Last season the Clippers only won 40 or so games with a Core of Brand, Kandi, and Richardson. They also had C-Mag's, Miles, and Odom all playing in support roles.

Unless Dickerson, Swift, and Gooden step up big time we really can't match that.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Not in the West. And probably not in the east. Not this year anyway. Thats not to say they are void of talent. The team is young. I agree with potaote. (smile) :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Originally posted by <b>truebluefan</b>!
Not in the West. And probably not in the east. Not this year anyway. Thats not to say they are void of talent. The team is young. I agree with potaote. (smile) :D
i agree with everything you said except for the east, if and when they do go to the east, i think they have a good chance on going to the playoffs

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Hey, I bet the Griz will win as many games as people believe they can. You know as well as I do that fans make basketball games, and when people are cheering there brains out for you, then momentum is made and the games comes along alot easier. I have confidence and hope in these Griz comin up and im saying 40 or more games won.

word out ...........lets go Griz

·
Registered
636 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C-MO 22 LD</b>!
Hey, I bet the Griz will win as many games as people believe they can. You know as well as I do that fans make basketball games, and when people are cheering there brains out for you, then momentum is made and the games comes along alot easier. I have confidence and hope in these Griz comin up and im saying 40 or more games won.
Is that why we LD sucks at basketball? ;)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>riddler</b>!

i agree with everything you said except for the east, if and when they do go to the east, i think they have a good chance on going to the playoffs
And if/when they do move to the East, and they do make the playoffs... it's because their core has developed, not because they're in the East.

Put the Grizzlies in the East now? And they'd still still produce very similar results. Winning %s were 30% vs. the East, and 27% vs. the West. Not a huge difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts