Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the breakout stars from the 2012-13 season was Tobias Harris, after a midseason trade moved him from Milwaukee to Orlando, where he immediately gained a spot in the rotation. In his Orlando debut, he 14 points in 24 minutes, two of his highest outputs up to that point in the season. He went on to average 17.3 points per game in 36 minutes while shooting 49% on 2′s and 31% on 3′s. The question for this season is whether these 27 games were an anomaly, with Harris being able to produce offense on a poor team or whether Harris will be able to replicate this production over an entire season.

To do so, we need to examine Harris’ offensive game and see what his strengths and weaknesses on offense are and whether defenses will find it easy to stop him or not. To provide some context before we dive into the video, the below shows Harris’ shot chart for the entire season. There are a few areas where he is below average but most of the zones have him at league average levels or above.

In SBNation’s Orlando Magic preview, Harris was profiled as part of an ‘ideal stretch power forward’ and someone was ‘has to be defended out to the three point line’. Is that true though? As started previously, Harris shot only 31% on three pointers last season, although we have only a small sample of 87 on which to base our analysis.

When looking at the video, there are a few issues that can make us question whether Harris can become a deadly three point shooter. Harris’ arm motions are not bad overall but he has some form issues with his legs. As you can see in the below frame, he has a narrow base and often has his knees bent inward.

When Harris sets his base in a narrow way, the rest of his shooting motion gets thrown off. Several problems can result from this mistake but it often results in a missed shot. This could lead to Harris not getting enough lift on his shot, causing it to come up short or it could twist Harris’ upper body which would cause him to alter his other nice fundamentals on the release of his shot.
http://tlorc.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/can-tobias-harris-replicate-his-offensive-success-in-2013-14/

·
Premium Member
23,791 Posts
Tobias Harris is a large reason that I hate being a Bucks fan...

Reactions: Bubbles

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
Tobias Harris is a large reason that I hate being a Bucks fan...
I think that situation is going to turn out just like the Jeremy Lin situation. Everybody was hating on the teams that passed up on or cut Lin when Linsanity happened just like Bucks fans are pissed about trading Harris. When all is said and done, both will be marginal players and nobody will care.

·
Premium Member
23,791 Posts
I dunno. Harris definitely has some work to do, but he's young and he's got a very nice set of offensive moves. If he can learn to play defense, he could be a star in the making.

That being said, The Bucks did (and still do) have a log jam at PF and I think Henson has just as high, if not higher, of an upside as Harris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts