Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Teams get bids, not conferences. So I wouldn't say that we won't get an additional team because we had a down year. However, Temple will not be the team. I do think the best team for an at large (however it's highly unlikely) would be SJU. If they were to get by Temple, their RPI would most likely be in the low 40s which puts them right on the bubble. The committee takes into account the performance of the last 10 games. If the Hawks lose in the finals, that would make them an impressive 8-2 and a final record of 18-13. You never know...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
rhodyhoops98 said:
Teams get bids, not conferences. So I wouldn't say that we won't get an additional team because we had a down year. However, Temple will not be the team. I do think the best team for an at large (however it's highly unlikely) would be SJU. If they were to get by Temple, their RPI would most likely be in the low 40s which puts them right on the bubble. The committee takes into account the performance of the last 10 games. If the Hawks lose in the finals, that would make them an impressive 8-2 and a final record of 18-13. You never know...
Love your thinking but it aint going to happen. 2 bids and we should be happy with that. WE DOUBLED UP ON LAST YEAR.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
This is not out of the question at all. SJU has a 26 SOS, a win over Kansas OOC, and would be 8-2 in their last 10. Their RPI would be around 40. They would be very much a bubble team. One of their problems will be Cincinatti/Syracuse. SU is now almost certainly in. UC has a better RPI but has been fading. I think UC and SJU will be fighting for a bubble spot - I think SJU wins.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I agree it's not out of the question. If the selection committee rewards teams for tough OOC and last 10 winning percentage as they say, then SJU should get serious consideration. It'll be interesting to see if they're on anyone's (meaning pundits) bubble. I think what'll hurt them is they're not 2nd or 3rd in the conference standings, though it shouldn't in my mind. SJU played a tougher schedule than most (if not all) teams that finished above due to the unbalanced schedule. Will the committee take this into account?

As I said in a post below "At large for St. Joes":

If St. Joes goes to the final and loses they'd be 18-13 with an RPI in the 40s. More impressive is their noncon RPI 14 and SOS 3. They will have won 8 in a row leading to the final. They'd have only one "bad" RPI loss to Dayton. And they will have played arguably the most difficult A10 schedule.

A solid argument could be made for their inclusion. Temple's gotten the at large with similar credentials in the past.​

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.