Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know I'm getting WAAAAAYYYYYYYY ahead of myself here but just as a hypathetical situation....do you guys think we would have any chance against Miami if we were to meet them in a showdown in the Eastern Conference Finals? I know we'd have to get past a team like the Bulls in the first and probably the Pistons in the 2nd which would be HUGE, but hey why not think big :biggrin:
Could we match up with Miami? I think our bench is better. I think Peirce is as good as Wade. Shaq is the issue...and yes I know I'm biased and you all know it but I actually think Perk could help out against Shaq. It would be a MONSTER upset but I'm not so sure that it would be impossible for us to match up well with Miami and pull out a series....not probable, but not impossible.
What do you guys think???

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
This is a .900 team - the Heat will be helpless.

Actually, I doubt it. The only teams Shaq has lost to in the playoffs (in a while) have been much better than the Celtics, especially on the inside. You could say that the Lakers were better than the Heat, but it's actually not that big a margin.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The duo of the Wallace boys, Sheed and Ben.. Done what it took last year.
As much as Id love to say I know we could beat them.. I don't think it's possible this year. Just because the man in the middle.. We would really have to double him everytime he touched the ball .. Put him on the line as much as possible.. But Shaq can pass out of the double team really good.. And Miami has some of the best shooters in the league....

But yes...

Wade is really good.. But I still put Pierce on top of this one..
Pierce can score ANYTIME he wants to.. Just drive through the lane and get to the rim.. Either layup or foul line.. He'll get his points.. Pierce won't only score.. But he is a really good defender and my pick for the best Rebounder on the C's sqaud.

Payton could shut down Damon Jones I think.. "The glove" would have to be slipped on though..

Would be a nice battle with Haslem and Walker ..
Haslem is stronger than Walker but Walker is smarter and has long range. So I think Walker would win that battle on Offense.. Haven't seen Haslem on Defense.. Would be a good battle for the boards also...

Our Center spot would get ate up alive....
Perk would be the only guy physically able .. And he probably would get pushed around like a little girl under there just like the rest of Shaq's victims..

PdP

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
C--Shaq O'Neal v. Raef LaFrentz
PF-Udonis Haslem v. Antoine Walker
SF-Eddie Jones v. Paul Pierce
SG-Damon Jones v. Ricky Davis
PG-Dwayne Wade v. Gary Payton

Bench:
C--Mike Doleac v. Mark Blount
PF-Christian Laettner v. Al Jefferson
SF-Shandon Anderson v. Tony Allen
SG-Rasaul Butler v. Delonte West
PG-Keyon Dooling v. Marcus Banks

C--Alonzo Mourning v. Kendrick Perkins
SF-Steve Smith v. Justin Reed

We would need to slow both Shaq and Dwayne Wade. I think Ricky Davis and Tony Allen can do a good job on Wade and stop him from killing us. As for Shaq, with LaFrentz, Blount, Jefferson and Perkins, we have a lot of fouls. We would need Gary Payton and Paul Pierce to drop down often to help out. The problem is that both Jonses are terrific three point shooters and one would be left open. There are more than a few things working against us here. We have big men, but two are weaker bigs and the other two are young. We have two guys who can stick with Wade, but will get any call he wants with either one. What I also didn't know until I looked up the Heat's roster is that they have a pretty ballanced attack after the big two with the Jonses and Haslem averaging between 11.2 and 12.8 points a night.

I don't think I'd put it past us to win a series against the Heat. I really don't like the odds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
agoo101284 said:
C--Shaq O'Neal v. Raef LaFrentz
SG-Damon Jones v. Ricky Davis
PG-Dwayne Wade v. Gary Payton
I see Davis matching up with Wade because I dont think Payton is quick enough, and right now I think Davis is the better defender.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
toolatetoride said:
I see Davis matching up with Wade because I dont think Payton is quick enough, and right now I think Davis is the better defender.

good point

·
Registered
8 Posts
This might be one of those games where we need all the fouls we can get out of our Bigs. Perkins might have to play... I hope he gets a chance to, anyway.

Hack the 30% (j/k) foul shooter... :nah:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts