Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the latest RPI rankings, Bryant is ranked #107, they are 13-4 & at the top of the NEC with a 6-0 conference record. They are located within the conference footprint, they are competitive in the league's premier sport (hoops), bring added membership for our AQ in baseball & field hockey and appear to have solid academics (I readily admit I don't know much other than what I have read about their academic rep).

I honestly cannot see a negative in getting this done ASAP.

·
Registered
178 Posts
In the latest RPI rankings, Bryant is ranked #107, they are 13-4 & at the top of the NEC with a 6-0 conference record. They are located within the conference footprint, they are competitive in the league's premier sport (hoops), bring added membership for our AQ in baseball & field hockey and appear to have solid academics (I readily admit I don't know much other than what I have read about their academic rep).

I honestly cannot see a negative in getting this done ASAP.
They're a good add not a great add. Ideally the AE would probably want to add a mid sized state school but there don't appear to be any great options. If I was AE commish I'd probably push to add Bryant while leaving one spot open just in case

·
Premium Member
33,190 Posts
Nah, let's wait until the MAAC adds them first.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, let's wait until the MAAC adds them first.
I know...I'm really concerned that something like that happens and it's gonna leave us left out in the cold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Why exactly would Bryant jump to the AE from the NEC, when it's a parellel jump at best? What could the AE possibly offer that's so much better?

Who knows what happens in this college basketball relocation climate, but I have trouble seeing why Bryant ditches the NEC after they accepted the Bulldogs bid to transition from D-II.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do they have lacrosse? Hate to say it, but basketball is not AE's "premier sport." Lacrosse is where this conference is most competitive and where the conference office feels we can make the most noise...as much as it pains me to write this, it's the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Do they have lacrosse? Hate to say it, but basketball is not AE's "premier sport." Lacrosse is where this conference is most competitive and where the conference office feels we can make the most noise...as much as it pains me to write this, it's the truth.

But no one cares about Lacrosse. If we base this conference on something that no one (when I say no one I say most people) cares about this conference will never move forward. Basketball and Football are the only sports that people follow in masses.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Why exactly would Bryant jump to the AE from the NEC, when it's a parellel jump at best? What could the AE possibly offer that's so much better?

Who knows what happens in this college basketball relocation climate, but I have trouble seeing why Bryant ditches the NEC after they accepted the Bulldogs bid to transition from D-II.
The AEC is better than the NEC because the overall institutional quality is better. If you asked any administrator in the northeast which conference they'd rather be associated with, they'd look at the list of schools in each conference, then quickly pick the AEC. It would be unanimous. It is not close.

The idea that a transient RPI bump, between 2 one bid conferences, would fool anyone who's job actually depended on it is ridiculous.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's the fastest growing sport in this country, so I'd have to disagree with that assessment. I don't give a crap about it either, but it's the only sport this conference has any prayer of winning an NCAA Championship in anytime soon.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wonder if the Commish's office feels Delaware, Towson and / or Rhode Island (long shot?) may be in play once the A10 and CAA are raided....

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wonder if the Commish's office feels Delaware, Towson and / or Rhode Island (long shot?) may be in play once the A10 and CAA are raided....
That seems like an unrealistic longshot, but that's the only rational explanation for why the conference has delayed expansion for so long.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That seems like an unrealistic longshot, but that's the only rational explanation for why the conference has delayed expansion for so long.
It is absolutely a long shot but at the same time there is no other clear cut Conference that fits (football, geographics).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just realized as soon as I replied
It's a shame really. Northern schools should have northern sports. AEC schools should have hockey and skiing and be great at them. Instead, they'll keep getting one low bid in a bunch of warm weather sports. UVM at least knows what part of the country they're in. I'm glad they were rewarded for it.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
They've had that mind set ever since adding umbc... And they've already lost northeastern and bu while not adding a single school and the conference stability has been greatly compromised as a result... Waiting for the home run school doesn't work and the league he's weaker and weaker as a result. If Bryant wants to join they need to have been invited yesterday: the America east twice turned down quinnipiac in the past because they figured they'd always be there as a safety school - how good would they look in the league right about now.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If there is any chance to add URI, then don't add Bryant. However, the league needs to figure this out quickly because it is not as if they are dealing from a position of strength. Either get URI or add Bryant and get stabilized immediately. And add Q-Pac in either event. (I am assuming that UMass has no interest whatsoever)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
If there is any chance to add URI, then don't add Bryant. However, the league needs to figure this out quickly because it is not as if they are dealing from a position of strength. Either get URI or add Bryant and get stabilized immediately. And add Q-Pac in either event. (I am assuming that UMass has no interest whatsoever)
Can't be done - Quinnipiac is headed to the MAAC (with Monmouth) next year.

I have no doubt that Bryant would be listening to the AE offers, but it is a lateral move in hoops and they would have to keep football in the NEC although it would probably help Bryant MLax.

Not sure if the AE is seriously considering adding Bryant and CCSU right now, but both schools would have to leave football in the NEC and that makes accepting an offer more dificult. No AD really wants to split their athletic teams among multiple conferences. Sometimes it has to be done, but it is rarely an ideal situation. Stability is very important for all school - just look at BU's move to the Patriot.

I'm not really sure what's the best move for anyone right now, but I think it is a very longshot that anyone returns to the AE (UD, Towson, NU, Hof, etc) because of the $1 million CAA exit fee. It is more likely the CAA swallows up some AE teams if the CAA loses schools to the A-10.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts