Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without Timmay of course...

I guess with Manu back at 100% and the focus the players now have especially beeing aggressive on both hands of the court (which should have been our standard I guess) I think we can pull a W on the road.
Not sure next game at Denver but who knows?

Opinions ?

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Very critical question DaBobZ. Many point out that the Spurs have the worst road record of the "contending" teams, and undoubtedly we have had several of our worst games on the road. Still, we can win on the road playing defense like we did these past two games. The guys went back to the basics and started things off with tough, active defense, then let the offense flow from that. If we use that strategy the rest of the season, we'll surprise with a few victories here and there. However, it takes another level to win on the road, especially against teams like Denver, Dallas, and Memphis, and that's a level we haven't been able to reach consistently with every road game. Without Duncan, I really doubt we'll be able to reach that level more than once, if even that.

Just a little quick study I did on the road statistics compared to their normal statistics. First off, we know who the X-Factors are on the team, so it's no surprise I'll start things off with them. Parker's regular season PPG is 16.7, his road PPG is 15.5, more than a full point drop. Same deal with Manu. 16 PPG for the season, 15 PPG on the road. I know, I know, PPG is a "glory" stat and it doesn't reflect everything, but there's no doubt that Parker and Manu haven't played as well on the road as opposed to the SBC Center.

As a team, we shoot about 3 percentage points less than what we do at home (44.5% on the road, 47.5% at home), but we actually turn the ball over less on the road (12.2 TO per game on the road, 13.7 TO's per game at home). Opponents points per game is the same on the road and at home (86.8 OPPG). The three point percentage is the most noticeable difference between home and road. On the road, we shoot 33.6% from three, as opposed to 38.9% at home. That's a huge difference right there. We score about two more point per game at home as opposed to the road (97.2 PPG at home, 95.4 PPG on the road). These numbers tell me it's pure offense. We hold opponents to the same scoring total, but our offense is a little worse on the road, most noticeably our 3 point shooting.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I don't think winning on the road is a real problem for us if we are completely healthy. I know our record has not been as good as some of the other "elites", but it just seems to me that whenever we have a game where nothing goes right and we are not focused, it is on the road. I don't think that happens in the playoffs. We will not be playing the New York Knicks and Utah Jazz of the world in the playoffs, so we will never loaf into a game unprepared.

Obviously this is VERY contigent on whether we have a healthy Tim Duncan, but personally, I am really not worried about it.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
i feel that during the playoffs we will be more focused. like previous yr. the reason this yr were not as good is because of younger guys on our team. wich in the playoffs most of the minutes will be from our veterans. pop will have them very focused... i feel that this team is heads and toes better then any team in the west if we can play consistent.. i no most of yall wont agree with me but i watch alot of teams and non (besides heat) play as we do. our first step to winning on the road is saturday when we play denver...that will answer lots of anwsers

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The struggles on the road have really bothered me as well. The previous Spurs teams have all been excellent on the road though so I don't see how this year could have made such a big difference. We will step it up in the playoffs and win the road games.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same players shoot again @Dallas

Our only win on the road was at Charlotte w/o Okafor on the field... w/o TD...

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
DaBobZ said:
Same players shoot again @Dallas

Our only win on the road was at Charlotte w/o Okafor on the field... w/o TD...
yes we can win on the road with duncan and alot of the losses that we have on the road is with out. away gms are over rated and our players seem to be immature by loosing confidence when were with out duncan on the road. but come playoff tim duncans back and our players will have learnd there lessen and b ready for a huge title run

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Out of the 13 games the Spurs sans Tim Duncan are 1-7 on the road, with the only road win coming against the measly Charlotte Bobcats. That is half of our road losses for the season. :eek8: Considering that out of our remaining 9 games, six of them are on the road, that record definitely needs to improve. I just can't imagine how our team absolutely breaks down on the road like this.

At least we still have a 4-1 record at home without Tim.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LineOFire said:
Out of the 13 games the Spurs sans Tim Duncan are 1-7 on the road, with the only road win coming against the measly Charlotte Bobcats. That is half of our road losses for the season. :eek8: Considering that out of our remaining 9 games, six of them are on the road, that record definitely needs to improve. I just can't imagine how our team absolutely breaks down on the road like this.

At least we still have a 4-1 record at home without Tim.
Agreed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts