Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If some one shoots the ball and air balls it can they touch it again?

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Yes, according to the rulebook you can catch it if the referee deems it a shot.

1. Official basketball rules states that if the ref considers it to be a shot attempt, the shooter can retrieve his own air ball.
http://www.betterbasketball.com/basketball-rules/official-basketball-rules.html

Bunch of morons on this board strongly supporting something they haven't thoroughly researched.

EDIT: Apparently, the NBA rulebook disallows this. Oh how they have strayed from the Basketball we all loved.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Gian, this is the only thing I can find in the official rule-book (http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_index.html) about this:

From Rule 10 (Violations), Section XIV (Traveling)
"i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player."

So I'm going with a violation, always. But Gian seemed pretty confident, so maybe he knows something I don't.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
I asked this question like a couple months ago. Someone showed me the same rule Diophantos showed. I think NBA rules and FIBA rules are different. Because I asked some of my friends back in Asia, where they use FIBA rules, the general assumption is that if it's a shot, you can grab it. In the NBA I'm quite sure that's not the case though.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
CubanLaker said:
Can you throw yourself an alleyoop with out it touching the rim or the backboard or you touching the floor?? For example, lob it up in the air towards the rim and then catch it in mid air for a dunk.
When Nate Robinson tried that this past season (and screwed it up) he was called for a travel.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
CubanLaker said:
Can you throw yourself an alleyoop with out it touching the rim or the backboard or you touching the floor?? For example, lob it up in the air towards the rim and then catch it in mid air for a dunk.
I think it has to do with how far you throw it. If it's within the 2 step layup rhythm, then it's ok. But if you throw it all the way to the roof and run like 40 feet down the court, then that's a travel. I think it's the same with bouncing the ball off the backboard. If it isn't a shot, you can self pass off the board if you take the regular layup steps. But if you bounce it from too far away it's a travel also.

Theres also another move that I always wondered about. Steve Francis use to hard bounce the ball, take a few steps and catch it on its way up and dunk. I've seen the ref call travel on that in game but I've also seen one of the Celtics youngsters (was it Tony Allen?) do it in game without a travel.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Ah crap, disillusioned by the intenrational rules I guess. *hangs his head in shame*

Then again I wasn't completely wrong. But I apologize nonetheless.

Here is my source, which I will post accordingly to avoid confusion, it is from the Official Basketball Rules from betterbasketball.com, which I deem to be quite reliable.

1. Official basketball rules states that if the ref considers it to be a shot attempt, the shooter can retrieve his own air ball.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
gian said:
Ah crap, disillusioned by the intenrational rules I guess. *hangs his head in shame*

Then again I wasn't completely wrong. But I apologize nonetheless.

Here is my source, which I will post accordingly to avoid confusion, it is from the Official Basketball Rules from betterbasketball.com, which I deem to be quite reliable.

Okay, so that's college basketball. Hence the confusion.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
CaliCool said:
Lesson...

Before calling others moron have your self-moron check first.
Ah yes, so relevant to the topic at hand.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts