Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Championship schedule unveiled.

2018 CANADIAN CHAMPIONSHIP

June 6, 2018
First Qualifying Round - First leg
AS Blainville v Oakville Blue Devils

June 13, 2018
First Qualifying Round - Second leg
Oakville Blue Devils v AS Blainville

May 3, 2018
Second Qualifying Round - First leg
Winner 1QR v Ottawa Fury FC

May 10, 2018
Second Qualifying Round - Second leg
Ottawa Fury FC v Winner 1QR

July 18, 2018
Semi-final 1 - First leg
Montreal Impact v Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Semi-final 2 - First leg
Winner 2QR v. Toronto FC

July 25, 2018
Semi-final 1 - Second leg
Vancouver Whitecaps FC v Montreal Impact

Semi-final 2 - Second leg
Toronto FC v. Winner 2QR

August 8, 2018
Final - First leg

August 15, 2018
Final - Second leg

DETAILS >> http://ow.ly/sdG430hIzPd

·
Registered
21 Posts
Without Ottawa, Robert Borden listed 12 clubs. The simplest format would be the same as the MLS playoffs with 4 clubs getting byes and 8 playing in Round 1. Unlike the MLS playoffs, everything could be done in 2 legs. For 2019, the three MLS clubs could get byes along with the winner of L10 or PLSQ. It would be hard to pick one. If you add Ottawa to make 13, the three MLS clubs could be the only clubs with byes. If there were 12 clubs in 2020, I would give the three MLS clubs and the CPL Champion the four byes. Alternatively, no league could be given byes, and the best clubs one year could get byes the next year.

Another possibility is a Group Stage. 12 clubs could be put in 4 groups of 3. I would give every club one home game and one away game so it would only take 3 matchdays. If clubs played every opponent twice, it would take 6 matchdays to get down to 4 clubs. The four winners would go to the Semifinals, and performance within your group could seed the clubs from 1 to 4 to determine who hosts second legs like the Concacaf Champions League used to do. 3 groups of 4 would avoid clubs having a matchday off, but it would add two problems. One problem is that either some clubs would get 2 home games and some clubs would get 2 away games or clubs would play every opponent twice and play 6 games. I don't know how many games the CPL will play, but I don't think MLS clubs would want to play 34 games plus 6 + 2 + 2 = 10 games for this. Another problem with 3 groups is that the best second place club would go to the Semifinals rather than one club per group. 13 clubs wouldn't go in groups well. A knockout tournament could handle 12 to 16 clubs with the same amount of rounds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Without Ottawa, Robert Borden listed 12 clubs. The simplest format would be the same as the MLS playoffs with 4 clubs getting byes and 8 playing in Round 1. Unlike the MLS playoffs, everything could be done in 2 legs. For 2019, the three MLS clubs could get byes along with the winner of L10 or PLSQ. It would be hard to pick one. If you add Ottawa to make 13, the three MLS clubs could be the only clubs with byes. If there were 12 clubs in 2020, I would give the three MLS clubs and the CPL Champion the four byes. Alternatively, no league could be given byes, and the best clubs one year could get byes the next year.

Another possibility is a Group Stage. 12 clubs could be put in 4 groups of 3. I would give every club one home game and one away game so it would only take 3 matchdays. If clubs played every opponent twice, it would take 6 matchdays to get down to 4 clubs. The four winners would go to the Semifinals, and performance within your group could seed the clubs from 1 to 4 to determine who hosts second legs like the Concacaf Champions League used to do. 3 groups of 4 would avoid clubs having a matchday off, but it would add two problems. One problem is that either some clubs would get 2 home games and some clubs would get 2 away games or clubs would play every opponent twice and play 6 games. I don't know how many games the CPL will play, but I don't think MLS clubs would want to play 34 games plus 6 + 2 + 2 = 10 games for this. Another problem with 3 groups is that the best second place club would go to the Semifinals rather than one club per group. 13 clubs wouldn't go in groups well. A knockout tournament could handle 12 to 16 clubs with the same amount of rounds.

Kodi Lucky Patcher

1 - 3 of 3 Posts