Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to put this in EBB, for those hip-hoppers wouldn't make it stand for a day, but this thread is dedicated to the guys that rocked our minds off.

First: AC/DC:

Man, those were the good old days: hard, strong, inspired rock'n roll!
Just listening to 2 live albums by AC/DC: the 79 If You Want Blood... (with the late great Bon Scott) and the 90-91 shows captured in AC/DC Live.

This is pure rock'n roll at it's best: the crazy yet beautiffull antics of Angus Young going wild in Let There Be Rock, High Voltage, Whole Lotta Rosie, etc... the powerfull riffs by his brother Malcolm... the playfull singing of Scott (who remembers Big Balls?), the crowd going crazy in Highway to Hell (one of the greatest rock'n roll songs ever written) and The Jack...

Man, they were IT,

What would rock be nowadays without ol' good AC/DC?

(Your comments?)

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
In honor of you and this thread and the great AC/DC I am playing Highway to Hell as we speak.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greatest AC/DC song?

Torn between the obvious (Highway to hell), one of the great live tracks (the Jack) and 2 great songs from the Powerage album: Up to my neek in you and Down Payment Blues...

What is AC/DC's finest hour for you guys?

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Top 10 AC/DC songs, excluding the Back in Black album, in more or less chronological order:

T.N.T.
The Jack
Its a Long Way to the Top (If you Want to Rock and Roll)
Let There be Rock
Dirty Deeds (Done Dirt Cheap)
Big Balls
Highway to Hell
Girl's Got Rhythm
For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)
Thunderstruck

Honorable mentions:

If You Want Blood (You Got It)
Whole Lotta Rosie
Problem Child
Touch Too Much
Kicked in the Teeth

And, of course, the entire Back in Black Album.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by <b>TomBoerwinkle#1</b>!
Top 10 AC/DC songs, excluding the Back in Black album, in more or less chronological order:

T.N.T.
The Jack
Its a Long Way to the Top (If you Want to Rock and Roll)
Let There be Rock
Dirty Deeds (Done Dirt Cheap)
Big Balls
Highway to Hell
Girl's Got Rhythm
For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)
Thunderstruck

Honorable mentions:

If You Want Blood (You Got It)
Whole Lotta Rosie
Problem Child
Touch Too Much
Kicked in the Teeth

And, of course, the entire Back in Black Album.
Curious... Almost all of the songs you listed have Scott in the line-up. Yet the Back in Black album is Johnson's debut.

I'm not too found of BinB: Johnson is a huge downgrade to Scott (IMHO), and although the album has a couple of great tunes (mainly Back in Black, You Shook Me All Night Long...) it just wasn't the same... Playing the CD i can't help but think Let Me Put My Love into You would be perfect for Scott's bluesy, ironic vocals, but is ruined by Johnson's attempt to imitate his singing...

Definately not one of AC/DC's best albums, IMHO, eventhough it has always garned great reviews from critics everywhere...

Meh... maybe i'm a little biased in this one, but i like the original product: Young, Scott and Young.

Next in line in the great rocking bands: Van Halen.

Would you like to take the first shot at them, TB?

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
I agree that Bon Scott was the MAN in AC/DC. I do love the Back in Black album, but it the only post-Scott album that is essential. The rest have spots of brilliance, and a lot of mediocre product.

FJ of Rockaway loves Brian Johnson's lion roar, and once took me to task for expressing a preference for Scott. I respect his opinion. But when push comes to shove, other than BinB, I'm old school AC/DC.

Ahhh...Van Halen. Now there's a band we can talk about for a while.

I was in junior high when Van Halen I came out. I was totally oblivious to the fact that it existed. All I knew about back then was what WLS am played -- plenty of Styx, Journey, REO Speedwagon, Cheap Trick, Supertramp, etc. And I knew about disco. And frankly, at the time, I didn't hate disco. Later, I hated disco. I've since regained my appreciation, to an extent.

But I digress.

I really came to know Van Halen with the Diver Down album -- an album that is somewhat maligned, but I still like it. Eddy resented his guitar loop experiments being grafted onto a cover of Dancing in the Streets, but I kind of dig it. Pretty Woman? Well...maybe the criticism there is somewhat on base. But a cover of the obscure Kinks tune Where Have All the Good Times Gone was music to the ears of this Kinks fan.

From there, I went back and discovered VH I and my mind was blown. Running with the Devil melted my brain Eruption and the cover of the Kink's You Really Got Me sealed the deal. The whole album -- Jamie's Cryin', Ice Cream Man, the whole Chalupa -- cemented a love affair with the band.

VHII -- Well, its no sophomore slump, but it inevitably pales in comparison to the debut. Still, You're No Good, Dance the Night Away, Beautiful Girls and the amazing acoustic solo Spanish Fly are rock solid classics.

Women and Children First, is to me, half a great album. The first side absolutely rocks -- And the Cradle Will Rock, Everybody Wants Some!, Fools, Romeo Delight. Arena rock at its finest. To me, side 2 is weaker, but Could This Be Magic? was a foreshadowing of the classic Ice Cream Man.

Fair Warning was also somewhat uneven, but contains two of my alltime favorite VH tracks -- Mean Streets and Unchained. So This is Love? and One Foot Out the Door also rock pretty damn hard. Not the typical feel good VH. And in this case, I think that is a good thing. After the debut, I probably listen to this album more than any other VH.

I've already shared my thoughts on Diver Down. Better than its reputation suggests.

1984. An album I love and hate. I HATE Jump, and allways have. I love Hot for Teacher, despite the fact it was WAY overplayed. I'll Wait, Pamama, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs, there really isn't a weak track on the album (notwithstanding my synth-pop loathing of Jump).

Now we get into Van Hagar.

I enjoyed the debut, 5150. Always liked the Red Rocker. A great jump start for a band I was afraid would cheese out after Jump's success. I find the similarities between the guitar/vocal call and response of 5150's Good Enough and the guitar/vocal call and response on Roth's Eat 'Em and Smile opener, Yankee Rose.

The album was not balls to the wall rock, and was not a party-hearty album, but was a great album for driving Lake Shore Drive along Lake Michigan on hot July nights with the top down, and a beer in the cup holder. Why Can't This Be Love?, Summer Sights, Get Up, and so on. Nothing groundbreakeing, but easy on the ears.

After this, the albums get spotty. OU812's cover of Little Feat's A Apolitical Blues was a nice touch, and Finish What You Started is memorable, if overplayed, but overall, it was clear that the boys had gone into the well-worn Journey/REO "mature" phase of "adult rock." BORING!!! Mine All Mine, When Its Love, Feels So Good...completely safe, completely radio friendly. Completely disposable.

The rest? Occasional decent tracks, mostly middle of the road pablum, sorry to say. Eddy and Alex could have done better. Sad that they didn't.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, your post pretty much sumed it ip, Tb.

I was a great fan of Van Halen ever since i bought the 5150 album (in fact, the very first albums i’ve ever buy were 5150 and Diamond Dave’s Skyscraper – NOT a coincidence).
5150 was indeed a cool album: great guitar riffs in Why can’t this be love?, the speed of Get up, Best of both worlds and, off course, my personal favourite Summer Nights.
I liked the old VH the most, although i couldn’t get at the time my hands on many of the albums: the times when Eddy was wilder at the guitar and when Diamond Dava filled the stage with his frontman acrobatics and macho, swaggering voice. Yeah, songs like Runnin’ with the devil, Ain’t talking ‘bout love, Dance th night away, Unchained, Panama and Jump (yes, i still love that corny tune!) will remain for the ages.

VH’s work after 5150 was pretty much a let down, IMHO. Haggar wasn’t bad, but he wasn’t Dave Lee Roth either, and the band seemed to mellow down a bit . They still delivered some good tracks, like Poundcake, the overplayed Can’t stop loving you, Right now, but the overall quality of the albums wasn’t much consistent. The band really lost some sparkle after 88.

But they were still great and delivered some of the greatest guitar riffs around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts