Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From John Canzano's column in today' Oregonian where he advocates dumping Darius Miles immediately:

The solution is to cut Miles today, and let some other sucker owner pick up the tab. Don't wait, thinking you can trade him. Do it now, maximizing the odds he'll be picked up. If Miles were released, be sure some foolish team would claim him this summer, relieving the Blazers of his salary.
Whether or not you agree with his basic point of the Blazers cutting Miles, it would be nice if you could count on the facts in his column being correct. If Miles were released today, he'd be put on waivers for 48 hours. Only if some team claimed him during that time period would the Blazers be relieved of his salary. Otherwise, if he signs with a team this summer for, say the veteran's minimum, the Blazers are still on the hook for the balance of his salary throughout the life of his contract.

What ticks me off is that this is hardly an isolated event. Canzano fouls up information regarding salary cap issues with regularity. Today, all over town many people who have read his column will be thinking that Nash should just cut Miles and free up some cap space. They'll never know that the fount of misinformation has just spewed some more incorrect crapola.

·
mere fan
6,556 Posts
e_blazer1 said:
Today, all over town many people who have read his column will be thinking that Nash should just cut Miles and free up some cap space. They'll never know that the fount of misinformation has just spewed some more incorrect crapola.
don't you get it? he's a columnist not a writer. His job is to stir the pot. Facts shmacts, a Canzano column is stirring time!

remember when the townspeople tuned out the little boy who was screaming Wolf! all the time? Much like that situation, I think the good people of Portland are catching on and tuning out the O. IMO this growing distrust between the fans and the coverage is a part of the fading relationship between the fans and the team. It was interesting earlier this season when JC graced our forum to ask him about that directly and have him deny any responsibility in this disconnect.

Here's hoping the big bad wolf known as apathy eats our screaming petty columnist.

STOMP

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
He's so clueless.

It would be GREAT if we could just waive Miles and someone else picked him up within 48 hours, but its more likely that I win PowerBall than it is that some GM wants a guy with a bad attitude, bad knee, and a bad contract.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Thought this was particularly funny part of an interview (with Zach and Bassy) conducted by This Blazer Blogger...........

At what age do you think John Canzano started going bald, and how do you think his baldness has affected the way he looks at the world?

This is where things started to go a little sour. First off, Sebastian had to ask who I was talking about, which tells me he must not be a reader of Mr. Canzano's work. When I explained to him that Canzano is an opinion columnist of the Oregonian, he laughed and told me that he couldn't answer the question. My handler, and nice young lady name Rebecca, got a little uncomfortable at this point and asked that I move on to my next question. She later told me she was afraid any answer Sebastian gave would show up in Canzano's blog, especially considering Jason Quick was standing about 3 feet away when I asked the question. I told Telfair this was his chance to badmouth the local media the way that they often do to the Blazers, but Sebastian, being the diplomatic guy he is, took the high road............

Next Question...

Which one of the coaches could you take in a fight?

I didn't bother asking Zach the Canzano question, as I knew Rebecca would shoot it down, so I came at him with my back-up. Without hesitation, Zach answered "All of them." He then stood up, shook my hand, brushed off Jason Quick's request for an interview, explaining to Quick that he had a dentist appointment to attend, and walked out of the practice facility.

All in all, it was a good time, but I think I actually learned more from talking to the staff and watching practice than I did in the actual interviews. Some of the more interesting revelations:

Steve Blake's wife is pregnant.

Darius drives a sick black Bentley the size of an Abrams tank, which also has black wheels that are about the size of an extra-large pizza pan.

Zach was driving a white Dodge Magnum, which in and of itself isn't all that interesting, but I noticed that he had a Boston Celtics cap sitting on the front dash. What the hell is up with that?

The 1977 World Championship trophy was made by Tiffany's.

Strength and conditioning coach Bobby Medina is short.

The secretary at the practice facility was sleeping on the couch in the players lounge. In her defense, she's pregnant.

Theo's energy drink looks like urine. Either that or he was actually drinking piss, which I think is unlikely.

The sink in the bathroom at the practice facility drains really slow, and the lights are dim.

Jason Quick puts a lot of gel in his hair; where as Mike Tokito seemingly uses no products on his mane.

·
Registered
81 Posts
e_blazer1 said:
From John Canzano's column in today' Oregonian where he advocates dumping Darius Miles immediately:

Whether or not you agree with his basic point of the Blazers cutting Miles, it would be nice if you could count on the facts in his column being correct. If Miles were released today, he'd be put on waivers for 48 hours. Only if some team claimed him during that time period would the Blazers be relieved of his salary. Otherwise, if he signs with a team this summer for, say the veteran's minimum, the Blazers are still on the hook for the balance of his salary throughout the life of his contract.

What ticks me off is that this is hardly an isolated event. Canzano fouls up information regarding salary cap issues with regularity. Today, all over town many people who have read his column will be thinking that Nash should just cut Miles and free up some cap space. They'll never know that the fount of misinformation has just spewed some more incorrect crapola.
I emailed Canzano regarding this, his response:

I consulted with two GMs on this.

Yes.

Waive him.

Thanks for the note.

JC

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Two GMs who are apparently as clueless as he is - so that means Isaiah and who else?

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
RipCity9 said:
Two GMs who are apparently as clueless as he is - so that means Isaiah and who else?
GM doesn't neccesarily stand for General Manager.

Gimp Media?
Garbage Men?
Green Monkeys?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
RipCity9 said:
He might actually just be lying. Or he muffed the hypothetical so badly in his question that the GMs didn't know what they were being asked.

Does he think that Miles would have to sit out the rest of the year, waiting for some team to claim him from waivers this summer?

It just doesn't make sense.

Ed O.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Further evidence that he's not the sharpest nail in the house.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,265 Posts
Ed O said:
Or he muffed the hypothetical so badly in his question that the GMs didn't know what they were being asked.
This is my belief. If he did talk to a couple of GMs and asked them "If the Blazers waived Miles and another team signed him, would the Blazers get cap relief?" - he would get an answer of "yes". Or another similar (ambiguous) question.

If Miles is claimed by another team before he clears waivers, the Blazers get to take Miles' whole salary off the books. If Miles clears waivers and signs with another team, the Blazers get to set-off an amount equal to this equation:

(Miles' new salary - $664,209)/2.

In other words, they'd get SOME cap relief if Miles signed with another team, but IMO there's a 99% chance that they would NOT be able to get Miles' whole salary taken off the books.

This whole thing does not surprise me. For example, in December Canzano told me via email that he had found a section in the current CBA proving that there was still a 75% BYC rule. He was going to email me the specifics when he was "back in front of the documents". I'm still waiting for that follow-up email.....

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Apparently Canzano caught wind of his error and attempts to save face in his blog entry from today:

In the column, I should have been more detailed in my description of what happens under the CBA on waiver rules. I was tight on space... had to make some decisions on deadline, and in retrospect I should have spent more time on this. And if it's caused confusion, my bad. There's definitely some strategy to waiving the guy under the new CBA (if they waive him before the end of the season someone needs to claim him within 48 hours for the Blazers to be off the hook for his entire salary, if they wait until after the season, it's a 7-day period). Otherwise, Portland pays the guaranteed portion of his salary. Still, I say waive the guy at the risk of biting the bullet, and maybe some sucker GM picks him up anyway. The guy is untradeable. You just can't have Miles sitting around, acting like an idiot, expecting the light to suddenly go on while the young, impressionable guys are watching.
I'm gonna call BS on the "space issues" excuse. I think the guy seriously did not know the extent of the rules, had several people e-mail him today to clue him in, and he's backtracking like crazy today. That's two in a row, John. Two in a row.

-Pop

·
Player Salary Geek
4,265 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
I'm gonna call BS on the "space issues" excuse. I think the guy seriously did not know the extent of the rules, had several people e-mail him today to clue him in, and he's backtracking like crazy today. That's two in a row, John. Two in a row.
Right. Especially given that his original column said this:

The solution is to cut Miles today, and let some other sucker owner pick up the tab. Don't wait, thinking you can trade him. Do it now, maximizing the odds he'll be picked up. If Miles were released, be sure some foolish team would claim him this summer, relieving the Blazers of his salary.
Sounds pretty specific to me. Cut him today.

Then Canzano probably learned two very important things:

1) In regards to his "maximizing the odds he'll be picked up" statement, the fact is that only one team has enough cap room to claim Darius should he be waived today - Atlanta. If the Blazers waived Darius in the summer, a handful of teams would have enough cap room to claim him. But the odds of him being claimed are better now? Right....

2) As has been pointed out, waiving Darius today would eliminate the possibility of "some foolish team" being able to "claim him this summer" because of the 48 hour rule.

Oooops.....

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
He's not backtracking. I'd do the exact same thing. I'd just straight up cut Miles. I understand there's still 6 years left on his contract. But like I've been saying, Portland will get NOTHING back from him in return. Not even a 2nd round scrub/pick. Teams over the cap, usually good ones, don't want anything to do with him. Teams under the cap, don't want anything to do with him. Paul Allen ****ed up. He essentially did what Isiah Thomas does with FAs - outbids himself. And now we're stuck with Miles for 6 more years.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
deanwoof said:
He's not backtracking. I'd do the exact same thing. I'd just straight up cut Miles. I understand there's still 6 years left on his contract. But like I've been saying, Portland will get NOTHING back from him in return. Not even a 2nd round scrub/pick. Teams over the cap, usually good ones, don't want anything to do with him. Teams under the cap, don't want anything to do with him. Paul Allen ****ed up. He essentially did what Isiah Thomas does with FAs - outbids himself. And now we're stuck with Miles for 6 more years.
That's just crazy.

I'm all for getting rid of Miles. But to just eat his contract, and have it count against the cap until 2010???

I think you have to at least spend the summer off-season trying to trade him. I have a hard time believing some GM (paging Isiah Thomas) won't trade us something for it -- even a crappy player with 2 years left on his contract (Malik Rose?) would be better than just eating Miles' contract.

And to do it right now, with 5 games left in the season and just before the off-season transaction period... is stupid. The kind of thing only a clownshoes like Canzano would come up with.

Stepping Razor

·
Player Salary Geek
4,265 Posts
deanwoof said:
He's not backtracking. I'd do the exact same thing. I'd just straight up cut Miles. I understand there's still 6 years left on his contract. But like I've been saying, Portland will get NOTHING back from him in return. Not even a 2nd round scrub/pick. Teams over the cap, usually good ones, don't want anything to do with him. Teams under the cap, don't want anything to do with him. Paul Allen ****ed up. He essentially did what Isiah Thomas does with FAs - outbids himself.
He's not backtracking on his opinion - you're right on that count. He's backtracking on the validity of the "facts" that he presented in his column. Instead of saying "I got my facts wrong in the column", he's saying "I just didn't have room to put all the facts".

But he's wrong. His "facts" were wrong. And because of that, he's influencing people all over to join in his opinion by giving them faulty information. If he were just to say, "Cut Miles today even if it means paying him his full contract" -like you just did - that's one thing. Completely another thing to say what he did: "Cut Miles today" and "be sure some foolish team would claim him this summer, relieving the Blazers of his salary."

Making up facts to try to prove that your opinion is a good one is neither good journalism nor good columnism....

And now we're stuck with Miles for 6 more years.
Three more years plus a team option for 2009-10

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
deanwoof said:
That's insane. His contract eating up space for the next few years is much worse then just holding onto him and not playing him. Sitting his *** long enough might get him motivated, and if not eventually some team will be desperate enough to trade for him and his "potential". Cutting him would possibly be the very worst option available.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Masbee quotes self from April 2003:

His column and it contentions were so absurd, so insane, so.......plainly ignorant, it seemed the kind of garbage you would expect to hear from a half-drunk blowhard in a sportsbar. Not the considered opinion of a journalist. His statements were so off the charts I didn't - and won't even bother to refute them point by point. Better just to write the whole thing off as the ramblings of an ill-informed, malice-filled, hack. There is a reason this guy isn't on the Blazers staff and instead is an underpaid writer. Some do, those that can't teach (or preach).

This double-header whiff by Canzano, has placed this guy on my SPAM filter. That the Oregonian would allow him to spew this trash is sad.
http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25508

The "Canzano is an Idiot" thread from April 2003:
http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25367<!-- / message -->

In over 3 years of suffering with this writer in such an important position of media power, he is still an idiot, and still doesn't know a lot about the business of the NBA.

He must not LIKE writing about the NBA all that much. He lacks passion and drive to do his job well. He could just be benched. But why should he be paid to do nothing? I think the Oregonian should put his clearly apathetic and disinterested butt on waivers, so some other newspaper will pick him up for his "potential".

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,987 Posts
We can't just eat his contract, but this does show Canzona just wants the Blazers to keep getting worst. I mean I want Miles gone as much as anyone else but to do that would just hurt the Blazers.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Storyteller said:
But he's wrong. His "facts" were wrong. And because of that, he's influencing people all over to join in his opinion by giving them faulty information...Making up facts to try to prove that your opinion is a good one is neither good journalism nor good columnism....
BINGO!

Masbee said:
In over 3 years of suffering with this writer in such an important position of media power, he is still an idiot, and still doesn't know a lot about the business of the NBA.

He must not LIKE writing about the NBA all that much. He lacks passion and drive to do his job well. He could just be benched. But why should he be paid to do nothing? I think the Oregonian should put his clearly apathetic and disinterested butt on waivers, so some other newspaper will pick him up for his "potential".
BANGO!!

mgb said:
We can't just eat his contract, but this does show Canzona just wants the Blazers to keep getting worst.
BONGO!!!

I love you guys! :cry:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.