1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
Blazer Maven said:
Canzano provides some of the best analysis I have seen from him in a long time:

http://www.oregonlive.com/canzano/index.ssf?/mtlogs/olive_JohnCanzano/archives/2006_04.html#128165

Brandon Roy would be a great fit for the Blazers.

Roy addresses the SG hole, Martell slides to SF and the Blazers use the Det pick and the 2nd rounder for size.

Adam Morrison, Gonzaga: He'll score in the NBA, has a tremendous will to win, and can create his own shot. Not fast, but he's deceptively quick, especially in his first two steps. He can't defend, or rather, hasn't shown a desire to defend. Good passer. I like him a lot, and I'm not one of those who is critical of him for showing some emotion on the court. I wish the current Blazers players cared enough to shed a tear once in a while. He's going to be a great pro... remember, Reggie Miller didn't play defense either. I think Portland will look at Morrison hard, and maybe he'll change their minds, but right now the whisper is they don't like him enough to pick him first overall, if they're there.
he's hearing different whispers than what I'm hearing. I wonder if these are the same whispers he heard saying that Iavaroni was going to be the head coach. ( for those who don't know, Canzano was basically Quick's "source".)

· mere fan
6,556 Posts
Schilly said:
Of course it depends on the draft position...Roy is not worth a top 3 pick at all. He's Shane Battier at the 2.
I like Shane Battier and generally think he's a solid starter on a playoff team. In some past drafts I think he would have been worth a top 3 pick, in others he'd probably rate outside the lottery. It's not the solid players fault if there aren't superstars in a draft.

Of the guys we know for sure will be selected on draft day 2006, Roy is probably the current #1 guy. Bargnani, Morrison, Gay, Aldridge, Carney, Noah, and Thomas are all question marks on whether they'll declare. Though I've resisted clicking on Canzano's link, I do think that BR's game would project well beside some of the other young Blazers. I'm very interested in seeing how he measures in the pre-draft.

STOMP

· Registered
7,812 Posts
STOMP said:
I like Shane Battier and generally think he's a solid starter on a playoff team. In some past drafts I think he would have been worth a top 3 pick, in others he'd probably rate outside the lottery. It's not the solid players fault if there aren't superstars in a draft.

Of the guys we know for sure will be selected on draft day 2006, Roy is probably the current #1 guy. Bargnani, Morrison, Gay, Aldridge, Carney, Noah, and Thomas are all question marks on whether they'll declare. Though I've resisted clicking on Canzano's link, I do think that BR's game would project well beside some of the other young Blazers. I'm very interested in seeing how he measures in the pre-draft.

STOMP
Agreed...I would like to see Roy pitted against Gay in some pre-draft workouts...IMO Roy would tear Gay up.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Schilly said:
Of course it depends on the draft position...Roy is not worth a top 3 pick at all. He's Shane Battier at the 2.
How can you say that? Battier was basically an undersized 4 whose success was based on the Duke system making him look much better than he would have anywhere else. Battier has worked hard to make himself into an NBA player, albeit a 6th man type currently.

Roy was the heart and soul of the Huskies last year, taking on the opponent's top player and shutting him down more often than not, while directing the flow on offense and leading the team in scoring.

While not worthy of a top pick in most drafts, his skill set fits the Blazers' needs to a T. He will be able to produce immediately, which is necessary given the current state of the franchise.

· Schilster Supreme
13,607 Posts
Battier went fo 19.9ppg and 7.9rpg 1.8apg as a senior, and was defensive player of the year 2 years in a row at Duke. And he did that on a deeper team than Washington has.

Roy by comparison has good numbers as a Sr but his Jr numbers are not very good.

I am a big fan of Battier. By comparing him I am saying he is a solid player, but likely no more than a role player at the NBA level. What I am saying is he isn't a top 3 pick...Battier was a #6.

· Registered
9,649 Posts
Canzano nails the draft. Thanks for the laugh. :laugh:

· Schilster Supreme
13,607 Posts
BTW Some NBA comparisons per Mock sites

NBAdraft.net
Jon Barry

Draftexpress
Best Case: Manu GInobli
Worst Case: Marquis Daniels

CollegeHoops.net gives him a 3 star ratring: 6th man/Fringe Starter

· Registered
6,659 Posts
sa1177 said:
Agreed...I would like to see Roy pitted against Gay in some pre-draft workouts...IMO Roy would tear Gay up.
That's why I doubt Gay will work out with anyone. His value can't get any higher. If his goal is to get drafted at the highest spot possible, why risk the potentially negative exposure?

· Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Schilly said:
BTW Some NBA comparisons per Mock sites

NBAdraft.net
Jon Barry

Draftexpress
Best Case: Manu GInobli
Worst Case: Marquis Daniels

CollegeHoops.net gives him a 3 star ratring: 6th man/Fringe Starter
The guys at NBADraft.net are out of their minds: Jon Barry, please. Barry can't play defense and can't board. Roy can do both and can create for others.

By the way, Roy did show a lot of development between his Jr. and Sr. years. Wouldn't that make you more likely to draft the guy, since he has shown the ability to improve his game? That's the mark of a great player.

Draft express is pretty much on.

Ginobili is the type of player nearly all teams are looking for at the SG spot. Daniels isn't a bad worst case scenario.

It appears a by myopic to exclude a player because "He's not a top 3 pick". That's the kind of thinking that leads to a Kwame Brown/Michael Olowoakandi type selection.

Better for this franchise to pick the Best Available Player, NOW. That's Brandon Roy.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
Schilly said:
Not IMO, in yours obviously, but not in mine.

Juan Dixon had a much more impressive college career.
afterall, HE won a national championship.

;)

· Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Schilly said:
Not IMO, in yours obviously, but not in mine.

Juan Dixon had a much more impressive college career.
So, the Blazers don't choose the best player available, or there's a better player?

What does Dixon's college career have to do with Roy??

· Schilster Supreme
13,607 Posts
The reason I've been saying he isn't a top 3 pick is because he isn't in the top 3 players available in this draft, the way I see them. Better as a senior at UW than the others probably, a better NBA prospect? Doubtful IMO.

IMO, Morrison is clearly a better pick. Aldridge, despite prior injuries, has a better chance of being a difference maker. Noah and Thomas while both raw, displayed fire and athleticism, and the ability to change the flow of the game on the block. Add to That Bargnani who is a bit of a "who really knows at this point" but is doing excellent things at a higher level than Roy.

Roy is at best 6th on my sheet.

· Registered
3,654 Posts
Didn't Morrison put up 43 pts against Roy and UW? and I watched the UConn\UW game and I saw Gay cause Roy some problems when he got a fire lit under him after his little encounter with Roy...

That is the thing with Gay, when he plays with that spark, he is clearly IMO one of the most talented players in the country, the problem is that spark was missing a lot during the year...I did notice that Calhoun had a short hook with Gay and other players, and the sheer depth on talent caused a lot of shuffling in\out of players. Also, Marcus Williams pretty much dominated the ball, and that played a large part in how many shots other players got...

That of course is the big question with Gay, is his sporadic play a symptom of several factors playing at UConn or is it just his nature?

IMO, Morrison is clearly a better pick.
I agree and he proved it playing against Roy and UW and against several other top tier college defenders. I wonder where POR mgmt has Roy and Morrison ranked? and if they were close to equal (which I do not think they are), would the pick b\t the two depend on where they see Webster playing long term?

· Registered
5,891 Posts
roy isnt what we need cannedhamzano proves what a ham he is :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.