Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I'm not one of the Blazer fans who has it in for Canzano and thinks the guy is the personification of evil, but he seriously smoked something illegal this morning:

Canzano's blog

But when it comes to Jeter, you just hope someone takes a long look at him. Because he'll stick if someone does. He's 5-11 and I think, just as good, if not better than Sebastian Telfair. Jeter's an energy guy who plays the point, can pass, handle the ball and has good shooting range.
:clown: :laugh: :confused: :rofl: :krazy: :mrt:

:hurl:
:rocket:

Pooh's a good player, but to compare him to Telfair - at this point - is ridiculous. Telfair would have dominated the opposition in the weak conference UP plays in.

-Pop

Reactions: Anima

· Registered
9,649 Posts
Just when I thought Crapzano couldnt be any more of a fool...

· Registered
16,001 Posts
I know nothing about Jeter, but I would be absolutely shocked if he's nearly as good as Telfair is.

I might have missed this from another thread, but on Sunday's entry Canzano had this to say:

Passing on [Chris] Paul wasn't like passing on Michael Jordan because you already had Clyde Drexler, but I felt a competition between Telfair and Paul would solve the point guard problem for the next decade. So did at least one of the three amigos, I'm told. Still, the team traded back and let Paul get away.
Hrm... assuming that's true, I find it another nail in Nash's coffin. One of these three things happened:

-- Allen disagreed with PatterNash. Paul wanted Paul. Assuming he's still the owner, it seems being upset about being misled by his management team might be enough to dump Nash, if not both of them.

-- Patterson disagreed with Allen and Nash. Patterson might be looking for someone to agree with him more.

-- Nash disagreed with Allen and Patterson. Another Kobe situation, where Nash wants the best player in the draft but is overruled. I find this least likely given that he had the juice to pick Sebastian the previous year over the objections of his scouts.

It's interesting, in any event.

Ed O.

· Registered
9,649 Posts
Ed O said:
I know nothing about Jeter, but I would be absolutely shocked if he's nearly as good as Telfair is.

I might have missed this from another thread, but on Sunday's entry Canzano had this to say:

Hrm... assuming that's true, I find it another nail in Nash's coffin. One of these three things happened:

-- Allen disagreed with PatterNash. Paul wanted Paul. Assuming he's still the owner, it seems being upset about being misled by his management team might be enough to dump Nash, if not both of them.

-- Patterson disagreed with Allen and Nash. Patterson might be looking for someone to agree with him more.

-- Nash disagreed with Allen and Patterson. Another Kobe situation, where Nash wants the best player in the draft but is overruled. I find this least likely given that he had the juice to pick Sebastian the previous year over the objections of his scouts.

Ed O.
It's only interesting if Crapzano's information is correct, which we've learned to doubt.

NEVERMIND... I missed your "assuming its true". Sorry.

· Registered
3,222 Posts
Ed O said:

Ed O.
I find the highlighted option to be the least likely. Patterson's nose is so brown he would never disagree with Allen on anything.

· Registered
16,001 Posts
tlong said:
I find the highlighted option to be the least likely. Patterson's nose is so brown he would never disagree with Allen on anything.
Heh. I actually considered that, but to be honest none of them seem particularly likely. I hope, if true, that we get more details in time.

Ed O.

· Registered
2,683 Posts
BlazersEdge.com said:
In other news, it seems as if John Canzano doesn't have the same level of decorum as Sebastian Telfair. If you'll scroll down a little bit, you'll notice in my little Q&A that Sebastian refused to take a cheap shot at Canzano, even though I served it up to him on a silver platter. How does John Boy re-pay Sebastian's maturity? By taking a cheap shot himself.

In Canzano's blog today, he continues his season-long crusade of talking up University of Portland's Pooh Jeter, a decent, undersized guard playing in a crappy conference on a crappy team. No big deal. I'm all for Canzano giving some pub to the local talent, but he just can't fight the urge to get in a jab at the expense of another young guard. Canzano writes:

...when it comes to Jeter, you just hope someone takes a long look at him. Because he'll stick if someone does. He's 5-11 and I think, just as good, if not better than Sebastian Telfair.

That's cold John Boy. First off, Jeter may be decent, but do you really have to compliment him at the expense of Telfair? To paraphrase my first-grade teacher: Why put out Sebastian's candle to make Pooh's candle look brighter?

Secondly, there's no way in hell that Jeter is as good as Telfair, not to mention that Sebastian is a couple years younger. Telfair is playing quality minutes and putting up decent numbers in the best league in the world. Jeter put up some decent numbers in the West Coast Conference, to which I would say: Big friggin' deal. How did the Pilots finish in thier conference? Second to last. Not exactly the hallmark of a great player. Does anyone think that if Sebastian were a senior in college that he wouldn't be tearing up the competition? Jeter would be feeding Telfair grapes and cleaning his dorm room if they were teammates at UP.

My one problem with Sebastian is that sometimes he's too hesitant to take the open shot. Refusing to answer my question about Canzano was a perfect example of that.
Funny.

Anyone ready to take Canzano to task for being, well, Canzano-esque, is alright by me. :clap:

· Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't you ever see the video the Blazers showed of the "war room" after the draft day. As Portland systematically traded the third pick, then selected Martell with the sixth pick, Paul Allen was as giddy as a little kid. It was obvious Paul wanted Martell from the get-go.

The jury's still out on those picks. I think both guys (Sebastian and Martell) are starting to show signs that they are capable of being worthy of lottery picks. Both have picked up their play substantially over the past dozen games or so.

-Pop

· Registered
3,548 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
Now I'm not one of the Blazer fans who has it in for Canzano and thinks the guy is the personification of evil, but -Pop
Maybe you should reconsider.

I pegged Canzano as someone not worth paying too much attention to from my reading of his first few columns. I haven't been forced to carefully re-visit that first impression, as Canzano regularly serves up enough junk to keep him on my "don't rely on this guy and don't take him seriously" list.

But then, he is from Fresno. What do you expect?
(I can say that as I have ancestors from there)

· Registered
3,548 Posts
Ed O said:

Ed O.
3rd hand information - and reported by Canzano. Hard to run with that tidbit. In a court of law, would be tossed.

And even if true, it just raises a bunch of questions:

Do they get equal votes?

If they do, why?

Allen owns the team, he should have more pull. But, does he scout? Why is he voting at all? If he gets a vote, then I want one.

Patterson is president, he should have more pull. But, does he scout? Isn't he a football guy? What did he hire a GM for if he was going to vote?

Nash should make the call, but he is low man on the totem poll.

Nobody else gets a vote? Pritchard? The other scouts? Anybody from coaching? The bean counters from Vulcan? There has to be some money angle for drafting.

And this mystery dissenter. Was their dissent forceful, strong and immediate, but they only relented due to prior agreement to submit to the majority?

Or, is this one of the Amigos, whining now after seeing Paul blow up as Rookie of the Year, when they expressed a preference for taking Paul with the #3 as they weren't as confident as others about Martell who was so young and with no track record of any kind. All very reasonable points to bring up. But unless you pounded the table and wore a Paul jersey (mystery Amigo man) - ehhh - I don't know about this claim.

Either set up management decisions by consensus, and all stand by what was done, or have a single point of authority. What way do you call, vote, lose, *****? Politics.

· Registered
5,891 Posts
i think vulcan has the most say in anything, then allen, patterson, prtichard the nash

ANTG baby ANTG and Vulcan't too.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
I think crapzano meant that Pooh is as good as Telfair is (which is debatebale), but that he's just as good, "since" he's not better.

kind of like saying "well, an orange is as sweet as apple, but only if you want to argue that it's not better than an apple".

as in, it's a criteria that isn't met, because no one who has an ounce of intelligence, would actually honestly say that Pooh is better than Telfair.

Wait a minute...

otherwise I honestly think they need to drug test at the oregonian.

· Registered
568 Posts
Ed O said:

Ed O.

Isn't Pritchard the 3rd member of the "amigos"? I was pretty sure it wasn't Allen. I could see him being the lone guy to want to take Paul. That said....I'm still glad we have Webster. I'm stubborn like that.

· Registered
16,001 Posts
RPCity said:
Isn't Pritchard the 3rd member of the "amigos"? I was pretty sure it wasn't Allen. I could see him being the lone guy to want to take Paul.
You might be right. I have difficulty following silly derogatory nicknames sometimes :)

That said....I'm still glad we have Webster. I'm stubborn like that.
You clearly haven't been paying attention to how good Chris Paul has been, it seems.

Ed O.

· Registered
3,957 Posts
Ed O said:
You might be right. I have difficulty following silly derogatory nicknames sometimes :)

You clearly haven't been paying attention to how good Chris Paul has been, it seems.

Ed O.
why is amigo silly and derogatory.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
Zidane said:
why is amigo silly and derogatory.
partly, altho obviously not even REMOTELY in the same level of derogatory emphasis, for the same reasons why calling a Native American "Cheif" is considered derogatory by some.

Not because the name Chief, or someone who was a Chief is a bad thing, but because it's meant to slight someone.

Calling Nash/Patterson/Pritchard "amigos" isn't meant as a compliment. It's meant in a sarcastic tone, to emote disrespect or mockery.

word to the wise, don't go up to a native american and say "how's it going, chief". Even if you meant it to be a compliment, I doubt they'd take it as one.

· Registered
1,391 Posts
RPCity said:
Isn't Pritchard the 3rd member of the "amigos"? I was pretty sure it wasn't Allen. I could see him being the lone guy to want to take Paul. That said....I'm still glad we have Webster. I'm stubborn like that.
According to an email exchange I had with Canzano last year...

John Canzano said:
I see Pritchard as Steve Martin.

Patterson is definitely Marty Short.
Leaving Nash as Chevy Chase, por supuesto.

I then suggested that Paul Allen must be El Guapo.

To which Canzano replied:
John Canzano said:
Ahhhh El Guapo.

Now, you've proven you have a sense of humor.
Definitely one of the more bizarre email exchanges I've ever had, especially since it started with me calling for him to be fired (over the Iavaroni fiasco) and ended with him quoting me in his column about some other thing entirely.

Anyways, that is the definitive Amigos lineup, straight from the horse's mouth.

Stepping Razor

· Registered
10,411 Posts
Ed O said:

Ed O.
and Damon was better than KG as a rookie...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.