Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canzano's article today (4/1/2005)

Unless this is a highly-concocted April Fool's joke, which given the subject matter would be incredibly distasteful, if that woman posts here, I would like to send out my heartfelt sympathies, and encourage you to enjoy every waking and sleeping moment with your husband. I cannot even begin to fathom what you are going through.

Kudos to Canzano for writing a brilliant piece that gives one some perspective about the enjoyment of a simple game in the trials and tribulations of everyday life.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Re: Canzano's article today (4/1/2005)

Based on a note on the O-Live's Blazer blog, I believe that the woman that Canzano is writing about is BBfan4life, who posts the weekly synopsis of Courtside Monday Night on the Oregonian's Blazer forum. My best thoughts and prayers go out to her and her husband during this difficult time.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

I read that this morning on my way into work, and it brought tears to my eyes. This, my friends, is sports at its best. A time to get away from the everyday troubles and spend 2 1/2 hours thinking about how many rebounds Joel Przybilla needs for another double-double rather than how many pieces of toast can your husband have before he gets nauseous.

Read Canzano's blog for more on the gestures the Blazers have made towards her and her family.

My thoughts will be with Melody, Katie, Brad and their family.

-Pop

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Idea for Melody, Brad and Katie

(See Canzano's column from today for some background on this story.)

Seems to me we're a caring bunch who like to help when we can.

I was thinking it might be a nice gesture to put something together from all of us on the three main Blazer message boards (o-live, BBB and ESPN) or just BBB. It could be something as simple as a card with all of our thoughts or maybe we could put some money together and get them something. I don't know. Anyone have any ideas?

-Pop

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts

One thing I noticed in this blog that kind of seemed odd.

I give them enough grief when they do wrong. The franchise deserves a pat on the back for these gestures.
so why not do more articles about that? Because it's pretty pathetic how little the fan base knows about how much good the franchise does as a whole.

People complain that the "12 faces" don't do enough (they actually do more than just about all other teams do)...but part of the reason why it seems they don't do enough is because we're never told about it.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts

Hap said:
I saw this, too. Pathetic.

The Blazers do something bad, Canzano makes sure it gets on the front page of the Sports section. They do something good and it makes his blog. This is "equal time" in his mind? Sort of like when accusations are made in bold type on the front page one day and a retraction is found in small type on page 35 the next.

That being said, this was a great piece to read. THIS is the kind of column I would love to see more of from John. Perhaps he's finally showing some "potential".....

My prayers are with BBFan and her family.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts

Hap said:
It IS april fools day.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Anyone that wants to send a few words of encouragement to BBfan4life, check out the Blazers Blog on O-Live. You can send an e-mail to Eric & he'll pass your message onto her.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

Storyteller said:
I saw this, too. Pathetic.

The Blazers do something bad, Canzano makes sure it gets on the front page of the Sports section. They do something good and it makes his blog.
In fairness, the story was in his column, where I read it. I don't really bother with his blog.

The same is true of lots of media and in many, many arenas. For instance, how often do we hear about the great work that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation does vs. how often we hear about anti-trust allegations against Microsoft? For what ever reason, the definition of news remains "if it bleeds it leads," and good news tends to wait for downturns in the news cycle.

PS: I think the idea of doing something for the Blazer fan in question would be a great gesture. I don't have a suggestion, but I'd be happy to do my part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts