Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article from Detroit News

Nice article from Rob Parker about letting go of the past and embracing the future. Carlisle is no longer here and won't be back, so there's no sense in talking about what he could do...

“Coach Brown came in and told me that he loves the way I play,” said Wallace, who had 17 points and 13 rebounds against the Mavericks. “But he said he thought I could be a lot better scorer than what I had shown and that he was going to give me the opportunity and work with me every day. Those were some words I’ve been waiting to hear for a long time.”
As much as people are ribbing on LB, I think this is one of his strenghs. Making players play to their weaknesses and forcing them to improve on them, so when times get tough it won't be that hard because they have been working on their weaknesses all year.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Yea, about that quote you posted, not only does it help them play to their weaknesses but also shows confidence that Wallace knows the coach has in him, because that is crucial. I can imagine it would help create a better bond between the two of them and from what I hear that is not something the boys could do with Carlisle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree totally. I was shocked at first how Rick Carlisle was able to obtain two 50 win seasons for us and then was dropped to pickup Larry Brown. I never watched brown coach as I was never a big Philly fan, but I do trust Joe Dumars as to what he's been able to accomplish for our team over the past couple of years.

The red carpet has been rolled out, now let's just see what level LB can bring us to.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As bad as we played during that 7 games (or so) stretch, LB still has us on pace to win 50+ games.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yeah, guess it's time to take that line out of my profile.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hamilton Story from Detroit News

Talks about LB's challenge to Hamilton to become more than just a scorer.

Early in the season, Pistons Coach Larry Brown issued a serious challenge to Richard Hamilton.

“Don’t just be a scorer — be a basketball player,” Brown said.

Hamilton took him up on it, and, in over the last few of weeks, the Pistons have been reaping the benefits.

“Coach has been challenging me to get my teammates involved and defend,” Hamilton said. “And I’ve tried to really concentrate on that. Everybody knows I can score. Everybody wants to see if I can pass and defend and do things like that.”

......................Hamilton had one of his most complete games of the season Tuesday night in the Pistons’ 105-89 victory over the Bulls. He had 24 points, seven rebounds and five assists and harassed Jamal Crawford into a 6-for-20 shooting night.

“Early in the season, a lot of teams were really going after him,” Brown said. “And some of the matchups for him are going to be difficult. He sees the post-up shooting guards who are bigger and stronger, and he see the quicker guys. He’s had to adjust and he’s been terrific.”

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i am glad that people are starting to come around on the whole LB thing, I have been a supporter of him and have been yelled at from my friends here at home and I am glad to see him flourishing.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PistonFAN81</b>!
i am glad that people are starting to come around on the whole LB thing, I have been a supporter of him and have been yelled at from my friends here at home and I am glad to see him flourishing.
I think its kind of hard for people to hate a guy who has led us to are longest winning streak in 10 years. Just wait though if we lose to the pacers next week it will start all over again.

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Brian</b>!

I think its kind of hard for people to hate a guy who has led us to are longest winning streak in 10 years. Just wait though if we lose to the pacers next week it will start all over again.
I think once we lose period....

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
I would be more upset at Brown if we loss to the Pacers then if we lost to the Wizards. Of course I think he is doing an alright job now but if we let the Pacers win against then it kinda shows they've got us in a headlock and headlocks suck.

If we lose to the Wizards that's fine because it's the Wizards who cares, it's a fluke but the Pacers are the team to beat and if we can't do it then we have gotten worse then last year with an arguably better roster. I don't know who to place the blame on there accept the coach.

In laymans terms, win streak aside, if we drop to 0-2 against Indy this year then it shows they have their way with us. They didn't last year. They got OUR coach and can beat us now. Who else's fault is it?

Don't get me wrong, I think what Brown is doing is great and I'm not gonna lie I was skeptical during the losing stretch, as lots of us were. I just have to break it down to the fact that last year we were better then the Pacers, they lost an All-Star but gained OUR coach and there would be something wrong if they beat us barring our roster is as good as it was last year (which it is, if not better)

Can ANYbody make sense of THAT?

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KABI</b>!
I would be more upset at Brown if we loss to the Pacers then if we lost to the Wizards. Of course I think he is doing an alright job now but if we let the Pacers win against then it kinda shows they've got us in a headlock and headlocks suck.

If we lose to the Wizards that's fine because it's the Wizards who cares, it's a fluke but the Pacers are the team to beat and if we can't do it then we have gotten worse then last year with an arguably better roster. I don't know who to place the blame on there accept the coach.

In laymans terms, win streak aside, if we drop to 0-2 against Indy this year then it shows they have their way with us. They didn't last year. They got OUR coach and can beat us now. Who else's fault is it?

Don't get me wrong, I think what Brown is doing is great and I'm not gonna lie I was skeptical during the losing stretch, as lots of us were. I just have to break it down to the fact that last year we were better then the Pacers, they lost an All-Star but gained OUR coach and there would be something wrong if they beat us barring our roster is as good as it was last year (which it is, if not better)

Can ANYbody make sense of THAT?
Yeah, we play the best team in the NBA the night before we play Indiana.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Indiana, despite loosing Brad Miller, is also a considerably better team than they were last year.

I don't think the manner in which they won the first two games really proved anything, just as I don't think it will prove anything if we loose to them on the road on the second half of a back to back in which we play the Spurs the night before.

But either way, next week is absolutely brutal- San Antonio, Indiana, and Minnesota. That's 3 of the 5 best teams in the NBA, 2 on the road, and 1 in a back to back.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by <b>KABI</b>!
In laymans terms, win streak aside, if we drop to 0-2 against Indy this year then it shows they have their way with us.
We're already 0-2, losing to them again would drop us to 0-3. Being 0-3 would definitely leave doubt in my mind about whether or not I can beat someone. The Pistons would probaly feel likewise if they lose again to Indiana.

Then again they did come down from a 3-1 deficit.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say back-to-backs aren't as frightning as they seem. For professional athletes that get paid millions to play basketball everyday, blaming a loss on fatigue (resulting from B2B's) is stupid.

As a player, playing a game the day after a PREVIOUS game may result in a SLIGHT bit of fatigue but once the player gets warmed up then everything is fine. How do I know this? I've done it. In high-school! I can guarantee that ANY NBA team gets their players in ten-million times better shape then my Candian high-school does, because my high-school doesn't have to make X amount of dollars to stay in the league.

So if a 6-2, 155 pound, acne-faced kid can withstand two games in a row, then so can an NBA athlete whose OCCUPATION is get in great shape and play the hell out of basketball.

KABI dude, it's not that simple man.

You're right, NBA games are more physical. Going up against 250 pound 7-footers can take a toll on the body but unlike high-school basketball refs call things. The players in the NBA know full well what is aloud on the court (with the exception of Artest and Martin :krazy:) unlike high-students. Flagrant fouls are about as common as missed free-throws and rarely are they called.

So if a high-school student can play B2B's and beyond. 4 games, 3 days anyone? Then an NBA player can play twice in a row without affecting there play. The payoff is equal, NBA players go up AGAINST NBA players, BUT NBA players have NBA BODIES! A typical teenagers lanky body can bang against other lanky bodies over and over and over again so then theoritically shouldn't a monstrous NBA body be able to bang against other NBA bodies AT LEAST TWICE?

Barring a very physical game, where an athlete withstand a performance effecting injury a trained, conditioned, toned, NBA team should be able to play twice in a row without being affected.

So, if the Detroit Pistons lose to the Indiana Pacers because they are feeling the effects of the Spurs game then I say that's a crock of ****. If we lose it will be because...
a) we didn't bring it
b) they played great
c) we were out coached (pistons roster>pacers roster, no???)
d) something intangible (horrible shooting, injuries (SA???))

But don't worry, I think we will win anyway. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
From everything I've heard about fatigue in back to back games, it's always related to the travelling from one team to the next (if the team is playing on the road). Playing game 1, then travelling immediatly afterwards to the next town some hours away to play game 2 the next night could be tiresome and you could also factor in a lack of sleep.

I still think the players should get used to those situations, but everytime I hear of a back to back game situation the announcers or commentators always talk about how the players are tired from the long travel, or game the night before... bah

I personally couldn't do it, but if you paid me a million $ I would sure as hell try my best :)

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Exactly, the worst part of these back to backs is when you play a game in one arena, and then immediately after the game have to go get on a plane, fly to another town, and spend the night in a hotel room.

Also remember NBA players play longer games and run a LOT harder than you have to in high school, expecially on the defensive end. Yeah, they are in better shape, but really they don't spend any more practice time conditioning than a high school team does, they just get their running done in games over an 82 game season.

In the game the biggest thing it affects is jump shooters who may start to loose elevation on their shot late in the second game. But whether or not it actually costs teams games, well, the Pistons are 8-2 in the second halves of back to backs.

Ask any player and they will say it definately affects them, both physically and mentally, but it IS something they can play through.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts