Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link to Indy Star article:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060411/COLUMNISTS01/604110421/1088/SPORTS04

Bird On Rick:

One area that will not be changed, though, is on the Pacers' sideline, where Bird said coach Rick Carlisle will be back -- even if his players seem intent on getting him fired. Yes, Bird hears the groans of dissatisfaction coming from all corners of the Pacers' locker room. And no, he's not lending a sympathetic ear.

"They didn't complain when we were winning 61 games,'' Bird said. "I didn't hear anything when we were winning 44 games. Rick's had two very good years here, and he's done a good job this year considering what's happened -- the injuries, the Ron Artest thing and everything else. When you start losing, everybody wants to point the finger.

". . . Right now, it's up to the players. We can talk about it until we're blue in the face. I'm happy with our coaching staff. I just think our players need to look in the mirror and say, 'It's on us now.' "

·
6,755 Posts
There's no doubt that alot of people are gonna be leaving, I'm just glad it's not the wrong one.

Like I said before if it wasen't for Rick, we wouldn't even be talking about playoffs right now, let alone last year.

I have total confidence in Carlisle, and I'm very relieved that he's staying, and so should everybody else.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I hate Rick's offense (if it can be called that way) also I think that players are tired of him (right now) but I like him and I belive the last problem can be fixed if "Some players will be gone" (it's basicly the same what Bird sayed) so after changes I think we are good to go (with Rick). Another thing I think our offense (that one that hurts eyes) isn't all Rick's fault. I belive that if we actually have some leadership, stability at PG position and some players would think befor they act (or atleast after they ****** something up) then we would be much much better team on offense.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
jreywind said:
Lets start the JO and others for KG rumors now! We need KG here in Indy. I love his heart and game.

i was thinking the exact same thing. garnett is going to get traded somewhere

Maybe it is true that some players are tuning out Carlisle. If that is the case, id say keep rick, and loose the players. Hopefully, Rick becomes what a certain head coach is to the Utah Jazz.

If you go to the Jazz, you know you either get on the same page as the coach or you pack your bags.

·
Registered
185 Posts
nbanoitall said:
Hopefully, Rick becomes what a certain head coach is to the Utah Jazz.
If you go to the Jazz, you know you either get on the same page as the coach or you pack your bags.
Maybe this perspective would look more enticing if the Jazz had won, uh, something...
because otherwise we're talking about becoming an average (at best) team where some coach runs ineffective regime.

In the NBA it's much easier and effective to get a new coach rather than to try fix things by moving several players, especially when these players make themselves less attractive by being injury prone, overpaid or bad tempered.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
SianTao said:
Maybe this perspective would look more enticing if the Jazz had won, uh, something...
because otherwise we're talking about becoming an average (at best) team where some coach runs ineffective regime.

In the NBA it's much easier and effective to get a new coach rather than to try fix things by moving several players, especially when these players make themselves less attractive by being injury prone, overpaid or bad tempered.
in most cases I agree with you, unless you find a special coach that fits in well with the organization and front office. Ive just been so impressed with what Carlisle has been able to do with what he has. Im still not sure how you guys made the playoffs after the brawl.

When it comes to the Jazz, youd have a point if it wasnt for Michael Jordan. That Jazz team would have won championships if Jordan stayed retired. Same goes for the Suns in 93. The Suns organization and The Round Mound of Rebound did everything right to win a championship, they just ran into MJ.

I think Jerry Sloan is a prime example of a success story in the NBA. Only one team can win the NBA championship, but to see what he did with that Jazz team after Malone and Stockton retired. All I can say is it was good coaching. Very similar to Carlisle's success after the brawl. When a coach like that comes along. I say keep him.

The way Paul Pierce or Ray Allen is playing. If the Pacers are able to trade for one of them, you could be contenders again next year.

Dont discount yourself this year either in the eastern conference. With everyone healthy and one the same page the Pacers could click in the playoffs. It is possible at least. Peja was an MVP candidate along with O'neal as well in the past.

·
Registered
993 Posts
nbanoitall said:
i was thinking the exact same thing. garnett is going to get traded somewhere

Maybe it is true that some players are tuning out Carlisle. If that is the case, id say keep rick, and loose the players. Hopefully, Rick becomes what a certain head coach is to the Utah Jazz.

I am going to be hearing this crap all summer...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.