Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at first when he came in the league he was a little over-hyped... his rookie year was solid tho...

last year his game fell off......

but watching a couple Nuggets games this year I think hes probably in the Top 5 of the most exciting players to watch... solid post game, he can take it to the basket, good shot range..... hes just an all around good player...

it seems like he isnt getting any love this year... anyone else think hes underated??

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
as a player I dont think he's underrated.....but I think his potential is. And I hate that ****.

I dont understand how Bosh, Wade, Lebron & ect. can be all time greats but Melo is religated to 20ppg Glenn Robinson clone. Thats garbage to me...he can be as great as he wants.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
tone wone said:
as a player I dont think he's underrated.....but I think his potential is. And I hate that ****.

I dont understand how Bosh, Wade, Lebron & ect. can be all time greats but Melo is religated to 20ppg Glenn Robinson clone. Thats garbage to me...he can be as great as he wants.
hes not. dont worry about what they say. they are all great players with great potential. :banana:

·
Registered
365 Posts
tone wone said:

I don't think anyone has said Bosh or Wade is an all-time great - not yet at least. I do think that it is clear that Lebron will be, unless there is an injury of some sort.

The difference between Carmelo and Bosh is that Bosh has steadily improved since he has been in the league. And Bosh plays a position where there are fewer good players so he stands out more.

The difference between Carmelo, Wade and Lebron is:

Carmelo: 21-6-3
Wade: 25-7-7
Lebron: 27-6-4 on 50% shooting

Carmelo's play, while certainly good, has not significantly improved since his rookie year. In fact, in at least one area, 3 pointers, he appears to be regressing.

With Wade, Bron and Bosh you get the sense there is still a fair amount of upside, as they continue to improve steadily. With Carmelo you get the sense that he is what he is. A very nice player to have on your team, but not a guy with superstar potential. That sense is accentuated by the fact that there are a lot of great players at his position.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Kirk64 said:
I don't think anyone has said Bosh or Wade is an all-time great - not yet at least. I do think that it is clear that Lebron will be, unless there is an injury of some sort.

The difference between Carmelo and Bosh is that Bosh has steadily improved since he has been in the league. And Bosh plays a position where there are fewer good players so he stands out more.
There are fewer good PFs? That's news to me; it seems like every other team has a borderline all-star PF.

Carmelo's play, while certainly good, has not significantly improved since his rookie year. In fact, in at least one area, 3 pointers, he appears to be regressing.
You think a basketball player's worth can be reduced to just 3 per-game stats? Come on that's not fair. Carmelo has improved significantly. Karl has helped him out and he now scores just as much (or more) and does so while only needing the ball half as much. He's also starting to work on the other areas of his game, like defense.

How much different are Duncan's numbers from his rookie year, does that mean he didn't improve?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
tone wone said:

:cheers: my sentiments exactly.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Kirk64 said:

With Wade, Bron and Bosh you get the sense there is still a fair amount of upside, as they continue to improve steadily. With Carmelo you get the sense that he is what he is. A very nice player to have on your team, but not a guy with superstar potential. That sense is accentuated by the fact that there are a lot of great players at his position.
you might get that feeling...not everyone. if bosh needs to play in the east at a position with weaker competitors to look better and get that feeling, thats fine. melo is getting better - funny that people say other wise. hes easily better than a year ago.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
NugzFan said:
you might get that feeling...not everyone. if bosh needs to play in the east at a position with weaker competitors to look better and get that feeling, thats fine. melo is getting better - funny that people say other wise. hes easily better than a year ago.
No kidding, his offense is night and day better, even though he scores about the same, he only needs the ball half as much to get those same points, so it helps the team a lot. i also think his defense is starting to come around some.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
How well Melo is on offense depends alot on how he plays on offense, he maybe scoring 20 ppg, but those 20 ppg are different from his 20 ppg in his rookie year. Rather than jacking up ill advised jumpshots, Melo is an awesome post player, hes not really a Glen Robinson clone, for the games that I saw of him last season when Karl stuck him on the block, he was more of a James Worthy type of player without the same swoops to basket. Hes athletic, he can shoot, slash, pass, post up, and rebound. His defense isn't very good, but neither is Lebron James' or Bosh's, and Wades isn't that much better. Anyone with eyes can see that hes a better player than he was in his rookie season.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Drewbs said:
How well Melo is on offense depends alot on how he plays on offense, he maybe scoring 20 ppg, but those 20 ppg are different from his 20 ppg in his rookie year. Rather than jacking up ill advised jumpshots, Melo is an awesome post player,...
His shooting has improved by .016 over his rookie year.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I belive he is fairly reconigzed. but he should of won rookie of the year when he was a rookie because just about all his stats were better

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
he's not underrated persay (was the 3rd pick in the draft), but he's definetly not overrated either.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
he is definitely overrated. i do not understand his commercial.

·
Registered
365 Posts
nugzhomer said:
How much different are Duncan's numbers from his rookie year, does that mean he didn't improve?
Duncan vs. Carmelo = bad comparison. Duncan's improved, but not all that much. How much can you improve when you are already 1st team all-NBA in your first year?

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
There are some numbers that are harder to show, like the fact that Duncan has ten times the defensive impact that Camelo has.

I admit I'm not a fan of melo, I said in his first season that Wade was better and people thought I was on crack. People gave credit for Melo getting denver to the playoffs. What they failed to remember was denver also had a healthy camby and brought in Dre as well.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Well I wasn't comparing Anthony to Duncan. I was pointing out that not having numbers that increase (we're talking about only 3 numbers here, by the way) doesn't mean you're not improving, and I used Duncan as an example. No one in their right mind would say Duncan didn't improve dramatically.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts