PF - B.G.
SF- Butler
SG - E.J.
PG - Best

Butler will start,and I HOPE Rasaul gets 15-20 minutes a game.:yes:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Caron Butler is 6'5 and tested in as not nearly as strong as people thought he'd be, along with only having average speed, and poor agility.

I think he'll have a fair amount of trouble guarding a lot of 3s in the NBA, just because he's not tall enough, and not athletic enough.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm not a hater, i think Caron Butler is a skilled player, that at times dominated college basketball... I'm just still very skeptical if athletically he can match up with players in the NBA.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
duh.....

Butler was the best player in the draft...he's gotta start!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Originally posted by BBallFan
Caron Butler is 6'5 and tested in as not nearly as strong as people thought he'd be, along with only having average speed, and poor agility.

I think he'll have a fair amount of trouble guarding a lot of 3s in the NBA, just because he's not tall enough, and not athletic enough.
Poor agility and average speed?

That is the epitome of a fallacy

He has excellent speed and agility, not to mention an excellent shooter and ball handler.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by STING

Poor agility and average speed?

That is the epitome of a fallacy

He has excellent speed and agility, not to mention an excellent shooter and ball handler.
I'm going by statstics. At the Chicago physicals, he tested very horribly.

He ran the 3/4 court sprint in 3.33 seconds... worse than almost every top-prospect whose results were listed. He was also one of very few players that took longer than 12 seconds to do the agility drills.

Overall, he finished as the 68th best athlete in the draft.

And I wouldn't say he's an "excellent" shooter or ballhandler. They're not weaknesses of his game, but he's far from being a sharp-shooter, and doesn't have anywhere near pointguard skills.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by HEATLUNATIC
BBallFan = HATER!!!!!!!!!!!:yes::devil::laugh:

Caron Butler = ROY!!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:
Just because someone has a different opinion than you have does not make them a "hater", okay?

He made some good points about that Chicago work out. It may well be that Butler has some deficiencies; most players do have "some". Then again, he may overcome them and become the ROY. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Originally posted by BBallFan

I'm going by statstics. At the Chicago physicals, he tested very horribly.

He ran the 3/4 court sprint in 3.33 seconds... worse than almost every top-prospect whose results were listed. He was also one of very few players that took longer than 12 seconds to do the agility drills.

Overall, he finished as the 68th best athlete in the draft.

And I wouldn't say he's an "excellent" shooter or ballhandler. They're not weaknesses of his game, but he's far from being a sharp-shooter, and doesn't have anywhere near pointguard skills.
When i say an excellent ball handler, I'm talking about his position. During the Chicago physicals, he complained of hamstring strains the entire time and was definitly not 100%. If you look at some of the highlight reels of him in college, you'll see him blow past everyone on the court repeatedly, he has natural athletisism, and could end up winning ROY.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I sincerely hope Butler does well, even well enough to get the ROY because I have such high respect for Riley and the Heat.

One thing we all know about Riley is how he teaches players to become very good team defenders or they get bench time. Some, like Todd Day get released in weeks because "he had no committment to defense."! Butler will be a player who does it on both ends - if Riley has anything to say about it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by STING

When i say an excellent ball handler, I'm talking about his position. During the Chicago physicals, he complained of hamstring strains the entire time and was definitly not 100%. If you look at some of the highlight reels of him in college, you'll see him blow past everyone on the court repeatedly, he has natural athletisism, and could end up winning ROY.
I know that's what you meant... but I can easily list a handful of SFs with better ballhandling skills than him from this year's draft. (Grizzard, Slay, Dunleavy, Jeffries to name a few)

As for the physicals... ok, maybe that was part of the reason he did so poorly... but what excuse does he ever have for only being able to bench 185 twice?

And sure, he blew past people all the time in college... because he was an NBA prospect that's playing against college ball players. Basically every single person in the draft did that.

And as for his natural athleticism... I don't think it's good enough to compensate for him being 6'5 (for guarding SFs), and I think he'll have some trouble, especially early in his career (although he still might wind up being ROY because he does have an opportunity to get a lot of minutes)

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
Originally posted by TheRifleman
I sincerely hope Butler does well, even well enough to get the ROY because I have such high respect for Riley and the Heat.

One thing we all know about Riley is how he teaches players to become very good team defenders or they get bench time. Some, like Todd Day get released in weeks because "he had no committment to defense."! Butler will be a player who does it on both ends - if Riley has anything to say about it.

I agree Rifleman. Butler will be a very good NBA Player, but I don't see him becoming Paul Pierce.;) He should average like 18, 4, 6 in the NBA.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts