Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still not a big game-changer, but his stats have looked good recently.

Over the past 10 games: 21.8 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 2.9 apg.
Over the past 05 games: 24.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 3.0 apg
Tonight, 18 and 6 in the first half.

Of course, it's easier to put up big stats on a bad team, and he's certainly on one.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I never really gave up on Caron, and still think he can be a good player, maybe even an all-star, in a Paul Pierce like mold. He is a solid defender, is a ball-hawk, a good rebounder, good at driving to the basket, he has a decent jump-shot, and I think he could develop a very solid post up game.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
I love Caron, and when the Heat traded for Shaq, I hated having to give him up. He's gonna be a star, I'll bet uCash on it. :yes:

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Caron totally owns. He is our best scorer right now. Yes, I said the best. Better than Kobe at the moment.

I've been saying all along that Odom is the one to trade this offseason, not Caron.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Ghost said:
Caron Butler has been playing great lately, He fits in with Kobe a lot better than Lamar Odom does. I think the Lakers - Utah trade will finally happen in the off-season, I am talking about the Lamar Odom and Carlos Boozer trade.
I think it'll happen too. I'd like to move Odom for a better rebounding big man than Boozer. However, I expect the Lakers to look around and Boozer will be the best option available.

Getting Butler and Boozer for Shaq wouldn't be that bad.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
hes been learning to play with kobe. the only one

and been getting chummy with him too. maybe a little too chummy

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
DuMa said:
hes been learning to play with kobe. the only one

and been getting chummy with him too. maybe a little too chummy
:makeout:

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Damian Necronamous said:
:makeout:
and Doug Collins looks like he wants in

disturbing really

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
DuMa said:
and Doug Collins looks like he wants in

disturbing really
Doug Collins is a chode, by lack of a better word.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I don't think Caron Butler is all that good of a fit on the Lakers. They need to go and get another defensive stopper to put next to Kobe Bryant in the backcourt, because they are one of the worst defensive teams in the league. I've seen a few people on here call Butler a very good defensive player, but I don't agree with that at all.

The Lakers are just trying to show other teams that Butler is an underrated scorer, who just hasn't had the opportunity since his rookie season. The reason he's getting so many shot opportunities is so the Lakers can increase his trade value, and I think they have been successful.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
RP McMurphy said:
I don't think Caron Butler is all that good of a fit on the Lakers. They need to go and get another defensive stopper to put next to Kobe Bryant in the backcourt, because they are one of the worst defensive teams in the league. I've seen a few people on here call Butler a very good defensive player, but I don't agree with that at all.
Bingo. Having two guys who are primarily scorers on the wings just doesn't work. This applies to Lamar Odom too. I've been saying forever now that Odom and Butler are horrible fits for the Lakers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Having gone to the Suns game the other night against the Lakers, I came away impressed with Caron. I always liked him in college and thought he showed signs of being a solid player, but never did it on a consistent basis. He shot well for the game (12-22) with 30 pts, also grabbing an impressive 7 rebs and 6 steals. He was of course the only one on the Lakers that looked respectable that night. The one thing Caron has to remember is that he must get more arch on his shot- It often looks too flat, especially when he struggles. If he were on the right team in the right situation he could break out, but the problem is that he plays with Kobe and they are too much alike, with Kobe being much better.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
RP McMurphy said:

The Lakers are just trying to show other teams that Butler is an underrated scorer, who just hasn't had the opportunity since his rookie season. The reason he's getting so many shot opportunities is so the Lakers can increase his trade value, and I think they have been successful.
Nail, meet hammer. Well said all around.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I didn't expect him to be such a decent rebounder for his position.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
RP McMurphy said:

That's the way I feel as well. I think he's being showcased to the league right now and the Lakers have to feel good about what they can get in return for him with the way he's been playing lately. He's always had the talent to be a very good scorer, possibly even as a secondary option. He's also a decent rebounder but his defense is only average. He's aggressive but he lacks the lateral quickness to be anything more than an average-above average defender. However, these gaudy statistical games are probably making him a more attractive player overall. If the Lakers can get a starting caliber PG or PF in the offseason for Lamar, I hope they make a move. His stock is never going to be higher than it is right now and I don't think it's all that difficult to find a scorer that can replace him. My only concern is that we deal Butler and keep Odom. I don't think we'll get rid of both players in one offseason, although that I what I'd like to do.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
Bingo. Having two guys who are primarily scorers on the wings just doesn't work. This applies to Lamar Odom too. I've been saying forever now that Odom and Butler are horrible fits for the Lakers.
Yeah, I agree as well. I don't think Caron or Lamar are going to last the off-season on the Lakers.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
RP McMurphy said:
True, but when you have a cheap, promising, willing SF, maybe you should look for a defensive stopper for a PG, not a SF.

In fact, the more i think about it, the more i find the Lakers to be in need of a pass-first, defend-second, score-last PG. Obviously, they don't grow up on trees... Still...

·
Queensbridge
1,936 Posts
Once again, I think Caron Butler will never be the player that he was thought out to become. I remember on draft night, many were shocked that he was passed up by so many teams and felt that he'd become a Paul Pierce type of scorer. Obviously, this hasn't been the case, and although he has been far from a bust, he just isn't even a borderline superstar. On a semi-bad team, he's a good second option, but that's as far as it goes. Ever since his rookie year, not only has he been poor, but even when he starts to get on a hot streak, he's inconsistent and cannot be counted on with his mid-range jump shot, IMO.

Other then that, I'm almost positive that he has no future with the Lakers. Mitch Kupcake is probably hoping that he continues to pad his stats and audition for other teams, as his trade value will increase and be easier to move in the off-season as trade bait.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts