Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
MVP
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He will be replaced by current Boston Celtics Senior Vice President, Daryl Morey.

From what I've briefly heard on the radio, Morey relies heavily on stats to make on-court decisions. Smart guy, who graduated from MIT... not sure how well that will translate into being a GM.

I'll definitely miss Dawson. The guy did what it took to win, wasn't blessed with the ability to spot talent but brought in the necessary players it took to win (atleast on paper). Wasn't afraid to make the big trade in hopes of never having a mediocre team in Houston. Brought in the likes of Charles Barkley, Scottie Pippen, Steve Francis and Tracy McGrady via trade. Trading Hakeem to Toronto was probably his most unpopular move (no one knew how Jefferson and Griffin would pan out on opposite ends of the spectrum), but it wasn't like he really had a choice.

Here's to CD. :cheers:

·
Not Just Dumb, Aggie Dumb
18,825 Posts
Mr. Roger's Cardigan said:
He will be replaced by current Boston Celtics Senior Vice President, Daryl Morey.

From what I've briefly heard on the radio, Morey relies heavily on stats to make on-court decisions. Smart guy, who graduated from MIT... not sure how well that will translate into being a GM.

I'll definitely miss Dawson. The guy did what it took to win, wasn't blessed with the ability to spot talent but brought in the necessary players it took to win (atleast on paper). Wasn't afraid to make the big trade in hopes of never having a mediocre team in Houston. Brought in the likes of Charles Barkley, Scottie Pippen, Steve Francis and Tracy McGrady via trade. Trading Hakeem to Toronto was probably his most unpopular move (no one knew how Jefferson and Griffin would pan out on opposite ends of the spectrum), but it wasn't like he really had a choice.

Here's to CD. :cheers:
dont forget clyde

Go NeTs

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
A GM from John Hollinger's school of thought? Scary. Statistics can often dig you a ditch since there are so many confounding factors that people rarely think of. Old school scouting and personal communication with players is still the way to go, IMO. Who knows, he did well with his draft picks and got rid of Antoine Walker.

·
Tru Warier
13,652 Posts
buhbye CD, enjoy your retirement!

Man, have gotten so comfortable with CD, it'll feel weird with another guy pulling the triggers....

Reactions: CbobbyB

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think Dawson is one of the best basketball men in the business, and he did have the ear of every coach he worked with regarding who was a talented player. Eventhough he was an assistant coach with Rudy T, I think he was responsible for finding Ellie and some of the other Canadian League players that came over to the Rox.

He always seemed even tempered and had a plan...

Retirement blessings to CD.

·
Registered
334 Posts
4ever_bball_fan said:
I think Dawson is one of the best basketball men in the business, and he did have the ear of every coach he worked with regarding who was a talented player. Eventhough he was an assistant coach with Rudy T, I think he was responsible for finding Ellie and some of the other Canadian League players that came over to the Rox.

He always seemed even tempered and had a plan...

Retirement blessings to CD.
Ehh... true but don't forget the contracts to Moochie, Maloney, Taylor. Found the occassional 2nd-round gem in Mobley, but really, player evaluation was NOT his forte.

I love Dawson, though. Best of luck to him in his post-basketball life.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Oh man! You know what? CD might do some big trade just because he is leaving the postion...

So..either :biggrin: or :curse: .....for the next year...

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have no clue, but if he had ANY say in bringing in Pierce and/or Walker, he is decent in my eyes.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Daryl Morey is a money-maker.

In terms of franchise values, the list goes like this:

(1) Lakers
(2) New York Knicks
(3) Chicago Bulls
(4) Dallas Mavericks
(5) Philadelphia 76ers
(6) Boston Celtics
(11) Houston Rockets

However businessness-savvy, why hire on someone completely inexperienced as a GM?

It is difficult to apply statistics to personnel decisions. Morey seems to understand that and acknowledges that statistics is only properly applied in conjunction with traditional scouting and psychological profiling. With the aid of Van Gundy, Dawson, and their current scouting crew, they are able to make educated and calculated decisions rather than gambles and guesses (not that the Rockets do often). Perhaps Morey can put numbers behind questions raised as to a player's worth and tell us if Swift is overpaid.

But more than anything, statistics is most useful for generating revenue. As quoted, the success of the Rockets franchise is largely dependant on its fan base. Morey can help to boost fan attendance and tap the gigantic sub-culture that is Yao Mania. The stadium needs to be packed with raucous fans to help energize a lack-luster team. In turn, the revenue allows flexibility for acquiring players and Morey helps to insure that players recruited are paid as efficiently as their performance.

Van Gundy is knocked for not knowing how to exploit the team's strengths and offensive potential. Morey is working on ground-breaking ways for:

analytical approaches for on–the–court decisions, acknowledging how difficult they are to implement. In order to make a difference, the analysis has to be applied by the coaching staff and then translated for the players to carry out.
In other words, he analyzes statistics such as FG%, Points Per Possession, Rebounding Rates, and Turnovers to determine the most efficient plays/player rotations against a specified team. As such, Morey advises Van Gundy to use Yao more heavily when Petro is playing, use Luther Head on Dwayne Wade early in the game, pick-and-roll against that team when they have this line-up, or something to that effect.

I dont feel that Morey is the end-all to Dawson or the Rocket's personnel management-style. Morey is lucky to have this opportunity, especially with a stellar group to work with which includes Van Gundy, Tracy McGrady, Yao, a young gaggle of talent i.e Head, Bogans, Hayes, and a high draft pick.

Alexander deserves some applause as he's done nothing but good to try and carry on the Rockets winning tradition. It helps to know he is willing to spend alot of money to win... its so much easier to spend money when you're making tons.

The only thing I could imagine left to better the management pyramid is to hiring a world-class physical fitness and training staff. Maybe it's the excercise and/or diet that lead to injuries and/or lack of energy? *Shrug*

·
MVP
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice post TManiAC.
TManiAC said:
Daryl Morey is a money-maker.

In terms of franchise values, the list goes like this:

(1) Lakers
(2) New York Knicks
(3) Chicago Bulls
(4) Dallas Mavericks
(5) Philadelphia 76ers
(6) Boston Celtics
(11) Houston Rockets
Escalating revenues from the arrival of Yao have had Houston as the third most valuable franchise for some time now. Not sure where you got 11 from. Link

[qupte]In other words, he analyzes statistics such as FG%, Points Per Possession, Rebounding Rates, and Turnovers to determine the most efficient plays/player rotations against a specified team. As such, Morey advises Van Gundy to use Yao more heavily when Petro is playing, use Luther Head on Dwayne Wade early in the game, pick-and-roll against that team when they have this line-up, or something to that effect.[/quote]
One has to hope Van Gundy can drop the ego for a while and listen to a rookie GM. I know JVG loves looking at stats from games, but he doesn't necessarily make decisions based on statistics. He likes routine and control, flexibility is not one of his strengths.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Mr. Roger's Cardigan said:
Nice post TManiAC.

Escalating revenues from the arrival of Yao have had Houston as the third most valuable franchise for some time now. Not sure where you got 11 from. Link

One has to hope Van Gundy can drop the ego for a while and listen to a rookie GM. I know JVG loves looking at stats from games, but he doesn't necessarily make decisions based on statistics. He likes routine and control, flexibility is not one of his strengths.
My source was Forbes 2005. Either way, Dawson has to retire at some point, I feel Alexander is moving with the right trend to help manage the far-reaching Houston Rockets...

As for Van Gundy and his ego.. Im sure this season has been humbling to a degree. I think that Moreys influence on our coaching, if any, would be small in comparison to the influence he would have on every other aspect of our franchise.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.