1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carroll expects to be fined by Sherman
By Rob Demovsky
PackersNews.com

Packers cornerback Ahmad Carroll said he expects to be fined by coach Mike Sherman for taunting the Atlanta Falcons late in Sunday’s win.

Sherman met with Carroll on Wednesday morning and said he made it clear Carroll’s actions were unacceptable. Carroll stared down players and coaches on the Falcons’ sideline after he stripped the football from receiver Roddy White in the fourth quarter. Carroll never watched teammate Nick Barnett return the fumble 20 yards to the Falcons’ 2. Instead, he stood only a few feet from the Falcons’ players and coaches and posed. He was not penalized during the game.

“Any way I can punish him, I will,” Sherman said. “That was uncalled for. He represents me, this organization, his teammates. He won’t do it again.”

The NFL’s collective bargaining agreement says players can be fined one week’s pay for up to four weeks for conduct detrimental to the team. It’s unlikely Sherman would fine Carroll an entire game check — which for him would be $20,882. It’s more likely the fine would be a few hundred or possibly a few thousand dollars. Carroll said he’s expecting to find a letter informing him of a fine in his mailbox.

“Probably so,” Carroll said. “I haven’t looked through all my mail yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I got one.”

[More in URL]

What an idiot but I think he's learning. We'll see.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The immediate resolution to this is suspend him as many games as allowed. Let him sit thinking of what sportsmanship is all about. Who is he to taunt? How many wins do we have? How many plays has he contributed to that warrants the trash talk? He gave up on the play at the time to do something grade school level. A professional, grown athlete need not act as immature as Carroll did.
Trade him? Possibly, but not just for this reason alone.

Hopefully he'll learn from this and never do it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts