Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
dumbass NBA.....what kind of rule is that? Everybody wants to see Carter to be in the dunk contest at least once more.....is there a email where we can complain? :mad: Probably the best dunker in NBA right now, only participated in the event once?....

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
It's not a rule so much as it's an excuse.

Instead of offering a decent prize (like, say, a million dollars) and allowing anyone in the NBA to participate, they make up these "rising star" rules.

There isn't enough of a reason for NBA stars to participate. If the prize was big, they'd come out. But when one star won't do it, nobody else will, either.

If Vince went to Stern and said "I want to do it," they'd change the rules ASAP. I guarantee that. They want ratings, and as good as it is to make new stars (though J-Rich still isn't all that popular), they'd rather make their biggest stars the focal point.

If LeBron does the contest, it is going to be pretty popular. If he doesn't, it will be the same old crap. I mean, if we're talking about Darvin Ham and Chris Andersen in the contest instead, this year will be another flop.

How about for possible prizes, something like:

- 1-year endorsement for a major company, like Champ Sports.
- The posterboy for a video game, like NBA 2005.
- $1,000,000
- Customized H2 or Bentley

Prizes like that would draw-out the T-Mac's, Kobe's, and Air Carter's.

·
Registered
564 Posts
**** this i am pissed at the :... i don't even wanna watch it this year.... lebron..j-rich... chris anderson and some other guy nobody gives a flying f**** about

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
What is the point of the DUNK contest then? Why is it that the DUNK contest is just a showcase for the younger players?

The dunk contest has severly dropped off after the fabulous showing by Carter and Francis a few years back.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
meh, no biggie.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If he said he'd do it they would change the rules.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SkywalkerAC</b>!
speedythief: darvin ham can't participate either.
Ok, my bad. I meant to say someone with the status of a Darvin Ham, ie. no fanbase, but I didn't.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gerald Wallace as the fourth dunker, though. He's had some big dunks this year.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Originally posted by <b>speedythief</b>!

Ok, my bad. I meant to say someone with the status of a Darvin Ham, ie. no fanbase, but I didn't.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gerald Wallace as the fourth dunker, though. He's had some big dunks this year.
yeah, the fourth dunker is going to be a great one but a lesser known player. amare might have come back but there's another bigman in the comp and he's been injured. it should be wallace, kedrick brown, or freddie jones, all fantastic dunkers.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
WHY? WHY isn't 4th year and more experienced players not able to participate? Because they know more dunks up their sleeves than these amateurs? Because older people got more athleticsm and can dunk better? These NBA dudes should realize that Vince is not an AUTOMATIC slam dunk champion this year if he was to participate. But they seem to think that.

Since Vince being the best dunker in everyones mind, and since everyone is so ****in pissed off at the rule, you can EXPLORE other dunkers by watching the dunk contest and probably there will be a new upcoming dunker who will perhaps be BETTER than Vince in dunking. If you just want to conclude to yourself that Vince will always be the greatest dunker, you got some serious issues.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
i would want to see stromile swift and dahntay jones in there. those are 2 of the best young dunkers. gerald wallace would be nice too, i'd actually prefer gerald wallace than jrich... i also wouldn't mind seeing desmon mason again. i'm afraid if they get lebron in there that he'd lose though. lebron is a good dunker at best, i don't think he even comes close to the greats like VC, Kobe, T-Mac, Francis. would be embarrassing if lebron loses to DMase. of course, if lebron were dunking, he'd be the fan favorite, and no doubt the judges would love him, so chances of him losing is slim.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Man...this is stupid...lebron totally sux at dunking dude...i saw the mcdonalds dunk competition...nothing that blew me away like VC's...he isn't a dunker he's a ball handler...btw that lebron commercial is wicked...

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>trick</b>!
meh, no biggie.
Exactly my thoughts. It's not as if he's been doing it annually and just suddenly decided to drop out. I'm quite surprised anyone actually thought that he would be doing it.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Originally posted by <b>c_dog</b>!
i would want to see stromile swift and dahntay jones in there. those are 2 of the best young dunkers. gerald wallace would be nice too, i'd actually prefer gerald wallace than jrich... i also wouldn't mind seeing desmon mason again. i'm afraid if they get lebron in there that he'd lose though. lebron is a good dunker at best, i don't think he even comes close to the greats like VC, Kobe, T-Mac, Francis. would be embarrassing if lebron loses to DMase. of course, if lebron were dunking, he'd be the fan favorite, and no doubt the judges would love him, so chances of him losing is slim.
kobe and francis are not all-time greats in terms of the contest. i expect lebron to destroy both of their performances. lebron's throughtheleg was better than kobe's in game and all francis did was selfoop, coming up pitifully short in his second attempt at the the contest.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by <b>speedythief</b>!
It's not a rule so much as it's an excuse.

Instead of offering a decent prize (like, say, a million dollars) and allowing anyone in the NBA to participate, they make up these "rising star" rules.

There isn't enough of a reason for NBA stars to participate. If the prize was big, they'd come out. But when one star won't do it, nobody else will, either.

If Vince went to Stern and said "I want to do it," they'd change the rules ASAP. I guarantee that. They want ratings, and as good as it is to make new stars (though J-Rich still isn't all that popular), they'd rather make their biggest stars the focal point.

If LeBron does the contest, it is going to be pretty popular. If he doesn't, it will be the same old crap. I mean, if we're talking about Darvin Ham and Chris Andersen in the contest instead, this year will be another flop.

How about for possible prizes, something like:

- 1-year endorsement for a major company, like Champ Sports.
- The posterboy for a video game, like NBA 2005.
- $1,000,000
- Customized H2 or Bentley

Prizes like that would draw-out the T-Mac's, Kobe's, and Air Carter's.
The NBA has no direct relationship with Champ Sports, EA Sports, or any of the other companies you mentioned, in which they can say which player gets the endorsments. The endorsment choices are made by the company itself and not by the NBA.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Originally posted by <b>sammysamosa</b>!
Man...this is stupid...lebron totally sux at dunking dude...i saw the mcdonalds dunk competition...nothing that blew me away like VC's...he isn't a dunker he's a ball handler...btw that lebron commercial is wicked...
What did you think he was going to break out his best stuff knowing he would be in the dunk contest next year? Hes done better dunks durring games then that show. Between the legs durring a game? Guess you never saw that one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.