1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this on the Bulls Offical Web Site

Anyone here ask a question?

-------------------------------------------------------------

For six years, Bill Cartwright patrolled the paint on Chicago's West Side, preaching the ways of winning basketball to an upstart band of young Bulls. At the age of 31, after spending nine winters in the Big Apple, the 7'1" center was dealt a new hand that would forever change his life. Leaving behind a string of frustrating playoff defeats, Cartwright accepted the challenge of moving to the Windy City to help direct a franchise to a championship legacy.

Thirteen years later, after spending six years patrolling the sidelines as an assistant coach to Phil Jackson and Tim Floyd, life came full-circle for "Mr. Bill" when Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Jerry Krause introduced him as the franchise's 14th head coach three days after Christmas. Today, at the age of 44, Cartwright finds himself again preaching the ways of winning basketball to an upstart band of young Bulls.

Even though it's the offseason, Coach Cartwright's summer will be as busy as it is significantly important. NBA Draft 2002 is just days away and the Bulls have three picks-numbers 2, 31 and 44 overall. Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Jamal Crawford and several other current Bulls have resumed regular workouts at the Berto Center before the watchful eyes of the basketball staff and not too far down the road is the Rocky Mountain Revue, the Bulls' summer league tournament of choice. Chandler, Curry, Marcus Fizer and Dalibor Bagaric are also set to attend Pete Newell's Big Man Camp in Hawaii in mid-August.

On June 24, just two days before NBA Draft 2002, Coach Cartwright was online to answer fans questions in a live chat at Bulls.com and NBA.com. Below is a transcript of the chat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel (New York): What has been the most difficult thing about being an NBA head coach?

Bill Cartwright: The most difficult thing is knowing that you're dealing more with the press. You're dealing with the whole team and your concerns are really with how they're feeling, injuries, substitution patterns. As an assistant coach, you deal more with individuals but as a head coach, it's more the total team focus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DieHardBULL(NYC): Coach Cartwright, how's it going? I was one of the happiest men on the east coast when you were named head coach of my Bulls, congratulations! My question is, do you have a certain technique as a coach that you use to get your message across to the players in practice and film sessions?(ex. Phil Jackson's hidden messages on gametape or his meditation sessions) GO BULLS 2003!!!!

Bill Cartwright: I think the easiest way to deal with players--and I know this because I was one--is just to be really direct. You ask players to do a specific task and then you're consistent with that everyday. That way the player knows what to expect from you and what's expected from them. You just keep it really simple.

Martin (Chicago): I just wanted to ask you what is the one thing you think the team needs to improve in order to become contenders this comming season?

Bill Cartwright: Unfortunately, the one thing we need to do is get older and there's not much you can do about that. The big thing that we're going to have to do this year and what we tried to focus on last year is our ability to defend. Once our young guys are able to learn players' situations and they learn to defend, you'll see us edging closer and closer to being a playoff team.

Gorav Rockford: Hey Coach, What position are the bulls looking to significantly upgrade to bring them back to playoff status?

Bill Cartwright: I would say we're looking at not necessarily position, but we're looking for players. There's a few unique players in this draft that we're looking pretty hard at to improve our team. I talked earlier about needing to get older so we're going to try to add some veteran players to this team as well.

Juwan(NY): Hey Coach, what sort of drills have you and the staff been running with Tyson and Eddy to improve their big man skills?

Bill Cartwright: First of all, Eddy and Tyson need to get stronger and that's one of our big focuses for this summer. Not only them, but all of our young players. Then what we'll do is we'll take them down on the floor and work with them individually on footwork, how to receive the ball, how to attack the post and lastly, how to pass, which is really a lost art.

Rick Heise: Bill, How do you drive the baby bulls to build their strength for Shaq, and some of the bigger, stronger centers they are going to face?

Bill Cartwright: You do that by just identifying where they are and with both these two young guys--and I keep saying two but it's really more than that--we're just focusing in on our strength training. Or we're focusing in on making ourselves better players as far as footwork, or how to attack or facing different players that might be bigger and stronger. Just spending a lot of time on the floor.

David (Chicago): : Bill: What went into your decision in getting a Master's degree? Has it helped you as a coach?

Bill Cartwright: I have a degree in human resources and organizational development which fits in really well with what I do. Basically, what that is is just problem solving, bringing the group together and organizing that group to function as an efficient organization. My major in college was sociology and all that ties together is dealing with problems, organizing people and all that ties together with the Bulls in focusing on one goal.

Ryan (Park Hills): Hi Bill, What are you looking at going into the draft?

Bill Cartwright: We've got the second pick in the draft and I think it's a little bit debatable as to who are the top picks but I think everybody will agree that probably the top five picks are Yao Ming, Jay Williams, [Chris] Wilcox, [Drew] Gooden and then [Mike] Dunleavy. That's debatable. We're just going to look at those picks and just pick the best player for us.

ken hunter chicago: Coach Bill with so many young players on the roster and with 3 picks this year. How are u gonna find room to add veterans without trading one of them ?

Bill Cartwright: We'll have room to add some veterans and we're going to need to add a veteran up front and probably a veteran in the backcourt.

Fetu-Argentina: What are your expectations for Eddy and Tyson's sophomore season? Great Job Coach!!

Bill Cartwright: One thing they as basketball players, their growth last year was outstanding and we're just looking for them to have that same progression in their sophomore year. Will they be All-Star players this year? I doubt it because they're young and they're still learning but we're just looking for growth this year. We're looking for them to develop this year into whatever type of player they're going to be. Eddy Curry is a little more of an offensive player and Tyson Chandler is a defensive player so we're looking for them to establish their games this year -- Eddy as far as being a scorer and Tyson as far as being a solid defender.

Jules (Charleston, SC): Bill: I remember reading that when watching Eddy play on one specific occasion, you thought of what you would have done in the situation. When you coach, do you often draw on your experiences as a Bull to give specific advice to individuals?

Bill Cartwright: Sure. Absolutely, you talk a lot of situation basketball. You talk about how to defend, how to attack somebody offensively and take them to the basket. We certainly as coaches draw on our experience both as a player and as an assistant coach, I was able to sit over there and kind of watch.

Jin, Chicago: What do you think Jay Williams would bring to the bulls?

Bill Cartwright: Everybody knows Jay Williams. He's a good floor leader, he's very quick, he's a good shooter. He's really everything you're looking for in a point guard. I think what impresses people about him is that he's really tough. He wants to win and he makes his teammates better.

Fetu-Argentina: Who has impressed you the most during pre-draft workouts?

Bill Cartwright: Really, a lot of the kids that we've brought in I really liked. They're great kids. This kid, Dan Dickau from Gonzaga is a very hard worker. Dajuan Wagner worked really hard, he did a nice job. Nene Hilario, the Brazilian kid, is a very impressive athlete, along with Ryan Humphrey. Drew Gooden, I really liked, great kid. Chris Wilcox came in here and did a really nice job. And the last guy that I'll mention is Tayshaun Prince, from Kentucky. I like him. And he would kind of fit in with what we do, offensively that is.

Bill Cartwright: I just want to say to the fans that we have a young team. We're going to have an exciting team. We're going to have a team that not only the people in Chicago will want to watch, but also the people in the rest of the country. We're building a special team.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
ty for the nice post! Good reading.

Veteran up front and in the back court wonder if that means a resigned Best?

He mentioned humphreys and Prince. I wouldnt mind either one of them. If we get Prince early in the second round i will be very happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts