Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Friday's signing of 6-9 free agent Donyell Marshall, 29, the Bulls appear to have completed their summer dealings. They also appear to have demoted 7-2 swing forward Tyson Chandler, 19, back to a reserve role.

Marshall is a better power forward, and Jalen Rose, also 29, is a better small forward--and those are the two positions Chandler plays best.

Appearances can be deceiving, though, because Bulls coach Bill Cartwright isn't guaranteeing starting positions or playing time to anybody.

"The best players will start,'' Cartwright said after the Bulls made Marshall's deal official.

"It's as simple as that. Nobody on this team is assured of any starting position. What that means, then, is that we will have a very interesting training camp. Everybody will be fighting for positions.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull171.html

·
A!
9,434 Posts
It will be interesting to see how Tyson and Eddy react if one or both of them end up coming off the bench....

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
The chance of that is minimal unless Krause wants it like that. Krause has been vocal enough, and has in the past pressured a coach to play guys the way he wants.

I am not saying it won't happen but if it does, it is going to have Kraus' blessings. I think the result would be they would take their lumps and sit. Neither is in a position to complain.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Wow. If the Bulls decide to play Marshall at power forward, that would be quite interesting indeed. That means Fizer is definitely on his way out. I don't necessarily agree with this article though...Donyell Marshall is not a good defender, and probably would be better off playing small forward, where he can use his size to his advantage at least.

there goes Chandler's big season. :D

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by <b>local_sportsfan</b>!
there goes Chandler's big season. :D

More likely, it's going to be the positive pressure he needs to improve to earn his time on the floor.

We don't curse out rooks out and send them to the locker-room sobbing. :)

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
i think its a good idea. Why let someone start that doesn't need to? We have much more depth than we have had the last 4 years. The only way i see someone starting that doesn't deserve to start is if we need such a player on the second team.

The younger players will not only have to compete in the games but also much more in practice than thjey did last year. I think that in itself will push them to be better.

BCH as for JK saying who will start and not start, i just hope he lets Bill coach this team. If the past is any indication im not so sure he will. But i hope so.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I disagree with the article on one point as well, Marshall is not a better PF than he is a SF. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Marshall play PF or come off the bench at SF for the first part of the season and here's why. The Bulls need to find a way to work ERobbery into the line up. Doing so is the only chance they'll to trade him. If the Bulls can give him minutes an inflate his stats and perceived worth to the team, they'll have a better chance of unloading his contract.

Also, saying that "no position is gauranteed" is smart, but a little misleading. It's smart for the obvious reason; competition brings out the best in everyone. It gives everyone the impression that they have a chance to start. It's misleading because if Jalen broke his ankle tomorrow and he wouldn't be fully recovered until the first game of the season, he would start, without question. So at least one person is guaranteed a starting position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts